Avengers: Endgame (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
i took the snap as a shock to existing civilizations, to wake up to the idea that resources are finite and if you don't do things to limit your population and think about resources your civilization will die. Some civs (humans) it won't really do fuck all and we'll wipe ourselves out or go conquer the universe, but other civs may be a bit more introspective. It doesn't really make that much sense, and losing a bunch of farmers and engineers and scientists while leaving behind all the social media influencers and hair stylists would make for an insanely retarded civilization. Still, I took it as movie short hand for "make societies think about the future", which we never really do.

An interesting indie movie would be examining all the ramifications of a snap, how people would deal with it, and even worse if they unsnapped back 5 years later. Thats an indie, Gay-Cowboys-Eating-Pudding kind of movie though, not an MCU movie. EndGame really spent too much time on loss and heartbreak for my tastes anyways.

Another interesting movie would be the snap creating a martial society, where people can kill off those who are weaker with no ramifications and its in fact glorified, ala Sparta. Survival of the fittest, Darwinian kind of thing which a few sci fi books have explored. Thats really, really hard to map out though in 4-5 hours, you'd need a multi season TV show to do it right.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

I didn't really like his character up to now, but after watching/reading all of that REEEE about the politically incorrect stuff he said and did over the last 10 year, this guys my new favorite avenger.

• 10Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Saw this super late (last night) and somehow only knew Ironman was going to die before seeing it. Most spoilers intact (I knew there was a fat Thor but only thought he was a credit scene or something!)

Give it a 6.2/10

Missing key piece for me was emotion. I guess after everyone died and now everyone is alive it’s tough to feel the emotional effects of characters dying even though it’s for realsies this time, mostly?

Also, the star of the last movie, Thanos, is reduced to a classic bad guy in a comic book movie, which is really lame. It would be like seeing a sequel to Dark Knight and all of a sudden the Joker just wanted to rob a big bank. I guess I felt like he lost his depth along the way.

My favorite character of the Avenger team has been Thor and I was able to see him unleash his max awesome in Infinity War, which I loved, only to see him fall into fatness in this film. I guess I can’t complain too much since I got to see him beast out (sorry Hulk fan(that one guy)).

All in all I’m surprised by the super positive reviews. The film was sloppy and inferior to Infinity War in every way. It was cool and not a disaster by any means, but mid tier.

• 3Garbage
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Saw this super late (last night) and somehow only knew Ironman was going to die before seeing it. Most spoilers intact (I knew there was a fat Thor but only thought he was a credit scene or something!)

Give it a 6.2/10

Missing key piece for me was emotion. I guess after everyone died and now everyone is alive it’s tough to feel the emotional effects of characters dying even though it’s for realsies this time, mostly?

Also, the star of the last movie, Thanos, is reduced to a classic bad guy in a comic book movie, which is really lame. It would be like seeing a sequel to Dark Knight and all of a sudden the Joker just wanted to rob a big bank. I guess I felt like he lost his depth along the way.

My favorite character of the Avenger team has been Thor and I was able to see him unleash his max awesome in Infinity War, which I loved, only to see him fall into fatness in this film. I guess I can’t complain too much since I got to see him beast out (sorry Hulk fan(that one guy)).

All in all I’m surprised by the super positive reviews. The film was sloppy and inferior to Infinity War in every way. It was cool and not a disaster by any means, but mid tier.
Yeah, I've been in the camp of movie is fine, but it's not one of the top Marvel films by any stretch.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users
My favorite part of this movie was how in the first 10 minutes we have Captain America consoling some faggot who lost his boyfriend in the snap. There's nothing more American in 2019 than brainwashing impressionable young children into thinking homosexuality is perfectly normal. And no I don't mean that facetiously.

• 3Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 8 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Give it a 6.2/10

i'm in 2 camps

1. Movie should have ended at IW, no end game, that woulda been ballzy

2. but they had to make a happy ending for the plebs, and disney bucks $$$, so endgame happened and the first 2/3 was yawn and then you had the battle you wanted and the some really boring and useless iron man and family no one gives a shit about funeral for what seemed like hours.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
the final battle saved the movie, if it wasn't for that it would be a 5/10 from everyone. and yeah, i agree they did thanos dirty he lacked that certain charm he had in Infinity War. I can intellectually understand how the writers justify it ("its 2012 Thanos! Not 2016!" or whatever numbers you are supposed to use) but it still comes across weak.

Infinity War was built on three very strong tripods: Thanos was awesome, the Avengers/GOTG were awesome, and Thor/Rocket were awesome.

Endgame just had two strong pillars, Iron Man and Captain America, and a whole buncha weak shit bringing them down. Nebula, Fat Thor, Ant Man, Professor Hulk, etc were all ok but nowhere near the amazing performances of the Infinity War crew. The Time Heist was ok but dragged on soooooo long and it rarely felt like teams working well together, just solo acts doing their thing.

• 1Garbage

Brad2770

Just one point....half the population of earth didnt disappear, half the population of the UNIVERSE did. And as he said it was random and dispassionate. So possibly 90% or the earths population could have disappeared or 1%...dont think it ever says in the movies the percent of snappies there were on earth

Rebut:

He had Gamora’s world separated, randomly, in half. Mowing down one side, letting the other side live. I’m going to guess each world lost almost exactly 50%.

• 1Garbage

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Besides, randomly selecting across the universe instead of randomly selecting within each world would do nothing about resource consumption. Some worlds would get wiped out entirely and others barely affected. Movie-Thanos was retarded but not that retarded.

spronk

FPS noob
i always felt bad for Asgard. First Hela comes and wipes out like their entire army. Then probably a big chunk dies during all the escape stuff. A tiny fraction of their population finally escapes on a ship heading to Earth, and fucking Thanos comes and kills HALF OF THEM! Thats fucked up! Why didn't someone just say "yo, we're like 90% down population wise can you not do this shit"

Or Peter Dinklage. "I'm gonna kill everyone but you, but i'm taking your arms". how the fuck is Peter Dinklage supposed to repopulate his race with no woman and no arms. Can he even still masturbate?

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or Peter Dinklage. "I'm gonna kill everyone but you, but i'm taking your arms". how the fuck is Peter Dinklage supposed to repopulate his race with no woman and no arms. Can he even still masturbate?

You forget? He has the power of SPACE PANTS.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
CinemaSins covered this already. There's another neutron star forge somewhere where Thanos left 299 dwarves alive.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
the final battle saved the movie, if it wasn't for that it would be a 5/10 from everyone. and yeah, i agree they did thanos dirty he lacked that certain charm he had in Infinity War. I can intellectually understand how the writers justify it ("its 2012 Thanos! Not 2016!" or whatever numbers you are supposed to use) but it still comes across weak.

Infinity War was built on three very strong tripods: Thanos was awesome, the Avengers/GOTG were awesome, and Thor/Rocket were awesome.

Endgame just had two strong pillars, Iron Man and Captain America, and a whole buncha weak shit bringing them down. Nebula, Fat Thor, Ant Man, Professor Hulk, etc were all ok but nowhere near the amazing performances of the Infinity War crew. The Time Heist was ok but dragged on soooooo long and it rarely felt like teams working well together, just solo acts doing their thing.
One of the best things about Infinity War was that Thanos was a villain with an actual arc and relatable. It made sense. He was an actual character and not just a foil.

And I think in Endgame that was lost a bit. Maybe not even a bit, but entirely. He just became a bad guy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Besides, randomly selecting across the universe instead of randomly selecting within each world would do nothing about resource consumption. Some worlds would get wiped out entirely and others barely affected. Movie-Thanos was retarded but not that retarded.
it's 50% per world, at least it is for Earth.

in IW, when thanos stabs stark he says he respects him and at least half of humanity will be alive.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nah movie Thanos was pretty retarded.

Juvarisx

Florida
They should have left out the census part, 50% of all life vanishing but without exactly half of all species would have been more interesting, like 90% of humanity but not much wildlife or all of 1 country etc