Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
How in the hell did Cap channel lightning and zap Thanos? Didn't Odin tell Thor in Ragnorok that his power didn't come from his hammer but only channeled it?

The enchantment Odin placed on the hammer specifically says that whoever wields it, if they be worthy, would have the power of Thor. Thor always has the power once he realized it (in Ragnarok) but that doesn't mean the hammer doesn't convey it to others. Pity they had to take it back to it's appropriate place so he can't anoint a new Thor, which is what I thought he was going to do with Valkyrie

OK, my official review. Meh. It was good, but not Infinity War good. Nice to see some payoffs to some plot lines, but it seemed like they spent more time making sure each character got "their moment" than driving a good story.
And I agree on a big "WHY?!?" on that one damn SJW scene mid battle that others are discussing.

My big concern is that I think a HUGE part of what made this all work was near pitch perfect casting or the bigs. RDJ, Evans, Johansen, Hemsworth, Hiddleston, etc. Now the majority of them are gone and the new round coming up just doesn't have that same pitch perfect casting feel IMHO (except for Benadryl Cumberbund.. he IS Dr Strange...) Which gives me great fear they will pull off another phase/era effectively.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
No he just has his mechanical wings.
How in the hell did Cap channel lightning and zap Thanos? Didn't Odin tell Thor in Ragnorok that his power didn't come from his hammer but only channeled it?
"He, should he be worthy, shall carry the power of Thor." Did you even watch the fucking movies?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The enchantment Odin placed on the hammer specifically says that whoever wields it, if they be worthy, would have the power of Thor. Thor always has the power once he realized it (in Ragnarok) but that doesn't mean the hammer doesn't convey it to others. Pity they had to take it back to it's appropriate place so he can't anoint a new Thor, which is what I thought he was going to do with Valkyrie

OK, my official review. Meh. It was good, but not Infinity War good. Nice to see some payoffs to some plot lines, but it seemed like they spent more time making sure each character got "their moment" than driving a good story.
And I agree on a big "WHY?!?" on that one damn SJW scene mid battle that others are discussing.

My big concern is that I think a HUGE part of what made this all work was near pitch perfect casting or the bigs. RDJ, Evans, Johansen, Hemsworth, Hiddleston, etc. Now the majority of them are gone and the new round coming up just doesn't have that same pitch perfect casting feel IMHO (except for Benadryl Cumberbund.. he IS Dr Strange...) Which gives me great fear they will pull off another phase/era effectively.
Um, yeah, I don't recall the hammer (mjolnir) being returned to its time line...

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Great movie.. so many payoffs!
Loved seeing scarlet witch continue to grow in power and really take on Thanos. Will be interesting to see where ScarletVision comes in.. will Vision get recreated some how or maybe it will be set between Civil War and Infinity War. Loki stealing the tessaract again was funny and hopefully that leads into his Disney+ series. I guess Gamora got snapped, I didn't see that happen so I suppose it was off screen. I'm a huge fan of the grand hero entrances - some of my favourite scenes in other comic movies were Thor's arrival in Wakanda and WW's arrival in the battle scene in BvS.. the portals opening in Endgame did the same for me.. awesome stuff. I wonder if they got Natalie Portman back or used left over scenes from Thor2. Thor was one again excellent, I like him more and more every movie and I hope he continues in the MCU.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Um, yeah, I don't recall the hammer (mjolnir) being returned to its time line...

Cap literally took it with him on the platform. It's there waiting for him as he heads out with the stones. It would be returned along with the Aether to Asgard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Cap literally took it with him on the platform. It's there waiting for him as he heads out with the stones. It would be returned along with the Aether to Asgard.
Ah ya. My bad. Still, there's even potential for something there. Continued story wise, anyway.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Super serum doesn't prevent aging even though he survived being on ice for 70 years? Well, whatever...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Honestly it's a bit baffling by how much people got upset by this scene (at least on the internet, I can already see the amount of youtube vids angry neckbeards are going to make about). All of the characters in that scene had very little or zero screentime during the actual battle. Not sure how a 5 second scene might upset you so much
Not really angry at it. It was just silly, on multiple levels. First, it was silly because it didn't make sense within the universe...In the universe the men and women were fighting side by side, often helping each other in 2 person teams. Everyone except Captain Marvel was engrossed in the battle this way...correct? So did all the women just literally abandon the men who were stuck in combat to go help Captain Marvel? There wasn't a chance that in X particular instance, the man might have been less essential to their fight, and could have gone to help Captain Marvel? Only the women could get away from their fights?

Second, it will silly even as a female empowerment theme...because it totally undermines how important the women were in the actual fight. You might not have noticed....but your brain did. Because every single guy could not break of their engagement, they were in heavy combat and absolutely essential in the roles they were playing to the point where at ANY point, only a single guy could get free to run the gauntlet--that's the ENTIRE reason only one person was running the gauntlet up to that point. Then, Captain Marvel lands...and all the women just leave their posts. Were they not important on the battle field? Are they so inconsequential to the actual battle going on that they can also leave at a moment's notice the moment they hear a fellow woman needs help?

The shot would not NEARLY have been as bad if it was all women, but not ALL the women...Like if Just Wasp and Valkyrie and Potts go to her, given they can all fly and evade the mess on the ground. It would make sense, and you still get your girl power shot. But no, EVERY woman on that field was able to leave what they were doing and STRIKE A POSE! Of course it drug people out of their sense of disbelief, because it violated a bunch of parameters of logic in the story which had set up...Ironically one being that those women were competent and essential to the battle.

That's why. Not because they got some screen time. That's a false attribution that's meant to disregard the logic behind why people are annoyed by painting it as some kind of sexism...and its that won't let anyone actually learn why it didn't work.

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Inque

FunEmployed
Not really angry at it. It was just silly, on multiple levels. First, it was silly because it didn't make sense within the universe...In the universe the men and women were fighting side by side, often helping each other in 2 person teams. Everyone except Captain Marvel was engrossed in the battle this way...correct? So did all the women just literally abandon the men who were stuck in combat to go help Captain Marvel? There wasn't a chance that in X particular instance, the man might have been less essential to their fight, and could have gone to help Captain Marvel? Only the women could get away from their fights?

Second, it will silly even as a female empowerment theme...because it totally undermines how important the women were in the actual fight. You might not have noticed....but your brain did. Because every single guy could not break of their engagement, they were in heavy combat and absolutely essential in the roles they were playing to the point where at ANY point, only a single guy could get free to run the gauntlet--that's the ENTIRE reason only one person was running the gauntlet up to that point. Then, Captain Marvel lands...and all the women just leave their posts. Were they not important on the battle field? Are they so inconsequential to the actual battle going on that they can also leave at a moment's notice the moment they hear a fellow woman needs help?

The shot would not NEARLY have been as bad if it was all women, but not ALL the women...Like if Just Wasp and Valkyrie and Potts go to her, given they can all fly and evade the mess on the ground. It would make sense, and you still get your girl power shot. But no, EVERY woman on that field was able to leave what they were doing and STRIKE A POSE! Of course it drug people out of their sense of disbelief, because it violated a bunch of parameters of logic in the story which had set up...Ironically one being that those women were competent and essential to the battle.

That's why. Not because they got some screen time. That's a false attribution that's meant to disregard the logic behind why people are annoyed by painting it as some kind of sexism...and its that won't let anyone actually learn why it didn't work.

But the Future of Marvel is inclusive? :(

• 1Rimshot

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I chuckled to myself at that scene but the whole thing is a 22 movie culmination to fan service. All those women combined were in what like 25 minutes of the entire movie. To rage at it is fucking stupid. All they did was throw the female fans a bone. Now Black Widow was great in the movie and that was one death I was really surprised about. However her movie is supposed to be all in the past so I guess she doesn't have to be currently alive? The only thing I can think is that they will give us an alternate widow like we got an alternate Gamora or she "returns" Skrull.

You shouldn't need to throw female fans a bone. There are well developed female characters that kicked ass, as mentioned above you--Scarlet Witch fucked Thanos's day up, the only Avenger to pretty much put him on the back foot 1v1. And she had excellent development to get to that point where she got a rage-power up. That's some genuine girl power shit right there, no pandering needed. Also, as I posted in the post above this...You could have easily had that shot without making it look retarded. Have it so the shot is still all women, but not EVERY woman in the battle...Because the fact that EVERY woman in the battle got free, undermines how essential the women were to the battle. (They don't seem very important if they can all literally get free and strike a pose.)

This whole hand waving and reducing it to men being angry because women were on screen is just..retarded. Its such a lazy rebuttal of genuine criticism and half the problem stupid social justice shit gets propagated in movies, because of bunch of white knights believe any criticism of women is sexism and M'lady needs to be defended and they devolve conversations into shit fests trying to force the criticism to be about sexism. Its old. Treat women like you do men by actually listening to what the criticism is based on.)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 5 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can we please get more adventures of Thor and Hulk? Those two were fucking killing me with the lolz during this shit.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Whole lotta meh in the first half and I fucking hate Mark Ruffalo. 5/7. Barely watchable.

no, it’s an 7.5/10 but I really do hate ruffalo and hope they don’t use him too much going forward. His ducking hulk was annoying, cringe, and boring. Movie is meh during the first half.

Thor was funny and the The Dude outfit was awesome, Hawkeye still sucks no matter how they try to shoehorn him into being as useful as the rest, and I’m glad Black Widow is dead. This was my first experience with Captain Marvel, have not seen that yet, and I already hate her so thankfully she is barely in this.

Captain America using the hammer was right and excellent, Scarlet Witch was cool and it was cool to see what she can do, and Thanos was done right as a villain. The story made sense, the time travel shit was not pants on head, for a change, and didn’t disappoint me thought it didn’t impress either.

It was good and ended the first generation excellently however I’m not confident at all about the next but am willing to be proven wrong.

Nah, it’s 7.5 out of 10 and is pretty good. My issues with it are mostly pacing, tone, and personal preferences. Worth seeing.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, agree with everyone 7.5/10. Massive handjobs to the fans to complete arcs and stories but I didn't really think any of them were amazing, just decent. Most of the characters felt a little off or had too little or too much screen time. Pacing was off especially compared to Infinity War. Definitely worth a watch for any MCU fan, it definitely feels like it closes this "chapter" and you can walk away now.

Infinity War is just better in every way. This is a good sequel and finish to that movie, but thats the better movie. This is ROTJ to ESB. I watched Infinity War 4-5 times in theaters, I'll probably watch Endgame once more in theaters and thats enough for me.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

How do you find the time to type mega posts constantly? Is it cocaine? I'm gonna go with cocaine.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's fanservice, this movie was full of it lol. it's really weird seeing how irrationally angry people around this part of the internet get about such a minor thing.
This was useless and pure pandering, like a number of points in the ending: LOOK AT ALL OUR WYMYNS!@!@!@! Its not organic to the story and its only done for business or political/virtue signalling reasons. It sticks out like a sore thumb. When I see something blatantly referencing current day politics in a superhero movie, it rips me right out of that final battle sign and puts me right into the ongoing current culture war. Its a bad look.

What everyone else said.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Garbage

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
as others have pointed out, the girl power scene was jarring NOT because we are misogynists, it was jarring because we ALL know WHY they did it. there were plenty of ways to make an all female team up work. there was a nice little scene in infinity war where it's girl vs girl and it doesn't feel out of place. but in endgame, they literally took the time for all the women (except for nebula and gamora i think? where they there?) to show up, have a one liner, then take a shot that someone thought would make a good poster.

if they did the exact same thing with the guys, people would throw a fit because it's obnoxious. but because it's GIRL POWER! then people are just like, eh, my little girl will like that scene.

guess what. i have 2 little girls. they dress up like wolverine. kids haven't been indoctrinated into the line of thinking that skin color and gender are the only things that a person is allowed to identify with. scarlet witch is a PERFECT example of a strong character with strong development. i haven't heard a SINGLE guy say they think scarlet witch needs to smile more. not a SINGLE guy say that scarlet witch is too powerful. if anything, they say she's not powerful enough. all the guys i know who've seen it are like, FINALLY SCARLET WITCH PUT A BEAT DOWN ON THANOS.

it's just silly and disingenuous to say that men don't like that scene because it's all women. we don't like that scene because it's cheap in an otherwise amazing moment

• 5Like
  • 1Garbage

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Regarding the Disney+ series...

So we have Falcon and Winter Soldier which will now be Captain America: the series?

Wanda/Vision is a bit of a head scratcher given that Vision is still very much dead. It could be a flashback to the Civil War to Infinity War period, but that would be a cop out vs moving things forward.

Loki has a series but that could easily be anywhere or anywhen I suppose. If anyone escaped death by Thanos it'd be him. I was expecting a call back to his last words to Thor in Infinity War and was disappointed we didn't see him in this beyond the Time Heist.

Then there's the Black Widow movie which was, supposedly, one of the Phase 4 set but I guess that has to be a flashback now too...unless they do it as a Two Woke Girls buddy comedy with Gamora and her sitting in the Soul Gem spilling tea and talking shade.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So it was explained that taking the infinity stones out of the timeline would split off an alternate universe so they had to go back at the end to prevent that.

But what about smaller changes to the timeline? I think they avoided making any real changes if you ignore butterfly effect, with two exceptions:
1) Loki got the Tesseract in 2012 instead of it and him going to Asgard. Is there an alternate reality where he is alive? Perhaps this ties into his TV show.
2) 2014 Thanos and his army was snapped and 2014 Gamora/Nebula came to the present. Is there an alternate reality where Infinity War never happed and Guardians of the Galaxy hapened differently?

It's possible that Loki could have travelled with Thanos' army in 2014 and he's alive again in the main timeline like Gamora is.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So it was explained that taking the infinity stones out of the timeline would split off an alternate universe so they had to go back at the end to prevent that.

But what about smaller changes to the timeline? I think they avoided making any real changes if you ignore butterfly effect, with two exceptions:
1) Loki got the Tesseract in 2012 instead of it and him going to Asgard. Is there an alternate reality where he is alive? Perhaps this ties into his TV show.
2) 2014 Thanos and his army was snapped and 2014 Gamora/Nebula came to the present. Is there an alternate reality where Infinity War never happed and Guardians of the Galaxy hapened differently?

It's possible that Loki could have travelled with Thanos' army in 2014 and he's alive again in the main timeline like Gamora is.
if cap puts all the stones back in their proper place and in their proper timeline, then mostly everything should be normal, outside natasha and gamora still dead at the bottom of a cliff