Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Returning the stones ensured parity in the primary timeline. Not the alternates that were created by the stones being removed.

Explain what you mean by parity here. Because it sounds like you're just filling shit in to explain the huge amount of bullshit any time travel creates.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
so next movie is Spidey2 then BW origin and then? lady Iron Man, Lady Hulk, Valkyrie, Lesbian Thor?

Spidey 2 and we have Eternals, Shang Chi, Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, and Doctor Strange 2 which are the upcoming. They are supposed to drop the MCU Phase 4 stuff in a couple months.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the writers were told to have cap hand off the shield to falcon, just like they were told to have a female empowerment scene and so they just did it without caring about how consistent it is.

I'm pretty critical of this movie but I don't think this is fair criticism. I think they did the best they could to find a way to write Cap out because Chris Evans is done with the MCU.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
She was missing at the very end. Quill had her image up on a screen in his ship, i think it implied she was gone. She may have been snapped. We are never told.

I think she just took off. She had no ties to anyone besides our Nebula. Quill's off to win her back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
since basic bitch likes to fuck off in space, i guess BP is the next top dog? i mean he is the leader of a nation, so he has some experience. i thought 2014 Gamora was still around at the end of Endgame?

at the moment there probably isn't a team leader per se. i mean, fury is still around and the movies never really established one specific team leader. stark was probably the defacto leader simply because he was basically the first member (even though fury said he wasn't cut out for playing nicely with others way back when) but he definitely defers to cap in battlefield tactics.

but honestly, rhodey, black panther, thor, dr strange could ALL take the leadership role pretty easily, but they also all have other obligations. hawkeye could? the movies haven't really shown that quality in him but the comics sure did. but he's always been more of a lone wolf so probably not. they probably WON'T have a team leader. more of a knights of the round table type of thing where they consider themselves all equal with different strengths.

gamora WAS there at the end, but it's pre-GOTG gamora. she obviously knows nebula, but she has no idea who any of the other people are. so it's a fair assumption that she'll be around and fight the good fight, but she's not the one that peter fell in love with. not yet at least.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
i'm not making up a requirement, you are creating a solution to a problem the movie caused.

this, right here, is the key. returning the stones ensures parity in the primary timeline. the PRIMARY timeline. except everything you've been explaining is that they didn't go back to THEIR primary timeline. they went to ANOTHER timeline and took the stones from THAT timeline. so cap had to go back to THAT timeline to restore parity to THAT timeline.

if cap DIDN'T go back to his OWN history, that means they never took the stones from THEIR OWN timeline, but someone else's.

i get that you probably just made a quick mental shortcut which resulted in a mistake, but this is exactly what the writers did. they set up a bunch of rules and followed them, but at the very end forgot about it because the scene wasn't about time travel. it was about giving cap a happy send off and passing the torch

I think what the writers intended, and what Acid is trying to explain, is that ALL timelines should be in parity. So by taking the stones, you F up that timeline in many ways, they never get to the "snap" part, and never get to the "five year later" part where they time travel, etc etc. Just everything will be out of whack and completely different. I have no idea why the timelines must be in parity though. It's not really explained what "bad" would happen.

Also I've read they need the time stone specifically or Dormammu would F everyone up? I never saw Dr Strange to know the deal there. It's on my list eventually.

Regarding Cap at the end, it definitely breaks the rules. Only other explanation is if he entered the main timeline and was present in the main timeline the entire time (meaning 2x Caps have been in the main timeline).

j00t

I'm pretty critical of this movie but I don't think this is fair criticism. I think they did the best they could to find a way to write Cap out because Chris Evans is done with the MCU.
i'll admit that it's a little harsh. the best part about the comics is that bucky is steve roger's best friend and falcon is cap's. they aren't necessarily in competition with each other and i have NOOOOO problem with sam being captain america. i just personally would have liked more screen time with cap and bucky. he spends like, 3 movies trying to save him and once he does they never actually talk. i would have really liked more of the two of them just hanging out being bros.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think he just came back through a portal (like the big fucking original one) at some point and snuck out and waited until after Tony's funeral. That's all it would take.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Explain what you mean by parity here. Because it sounds like you're just filling shit in to explain the huge amount of bullshit any time travel creates.
Basically its impossible to affect the primary timeline by visiting the past. Changes to the past create alternate time lines. It's wishy washy at best, but drives the assumption that things that are changed, but changed back, still result in the primary timeline (or alternate timelines coalescing and ultimately creating or solidifying the primary timeline).

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
so here's my big question, who is the leader of The Avengers now? who is the brains and who is the muscle? or is the answer to those 3 questions the same person?
I believe the official statement was that The Avengers (as a team, and as a movie franchise) are over. I haven't read comics in a couple decades to know what the next teamup name would be, especially when The Defenders is taken. I'm not sure it matters, people will see Marvel Studios The Beyonder (or what have you) without an Avengers tag in front.

In terms of movies, no one really knows, as Disney has uncharacteristically allowed this movie to breathe. I believe there are currently three Marvel slots on next year's calendar, but I have heard of only Black Widow having anything near a full cast that would get done in time. Eternals and Shang Chi have started casting, but I don't know if they can realistically be done for next year. I haven't heard of Dr. Strange or Black Panther sequels being anywhere near ready for shooting. Just what Marvel is putting out in 2020 is a real mystery.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Winter Soldier being given the shield simply wouldn't work because his character is still hated by the populace for being associated with terrorism. Yeah, like America would accept him as Captain, fuckin lol. He's lucky he's not still imprisoned. Giving it to Falcon, the person who didn't murder the Starks as a Hydra programmed assassin, only seems reasonable. As much as we'd like to think otherwise.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
at the moment there probably isn't a team leader per se. i mean, fury is still around and the movies never really established one specific team leader. stark was probably the defacto leader simply because he was basically the first member (even though fury said he wasn't cut out for playing nicely with others way back when) but he definitely defers to cap in battlefield tactics.

but honestly, rhodey, black panther, thor, dr strange could ALL take the leadership role pretty easily, but they also all have other obligations. hawkeye could? the movies haven't really shown that quality in him but the comics sure did. but he's always been more of a lone wolf so probably not. they probably WON'T have a team leader. more of a knights of the round table type of thing where they consider themselves all equal with different strengths.

gamora WAS there at the end, but it's pre-GOTG gamora. she obviously knows nebula, but she has no idea who any of the other people are. so it's a fair assumption that she'll be around and fight the good fight, but she's not the one that peter fell in love with. not yet at least.
sounds like a big mess, you gotta have some kind of leader to direct the forces. The KotRT still had Arthur. Natasha would have been great as the new Avengers leader.

j00t

I think what the writers intended, and what Acid is trying to explain, is that ALL timelines should be in parity. So by taking the stones, you F up that timeline in many ways, they never get to the "snap" part, and never get to the "five year later" part where they time travel, etc etc. Just everything will be out of whack and completely different. I have no idea why the timelines must be in parity though. It's not really explained what "bad" would happen.

Also I've read they need the time stone specifically or Dormammu would F everyone up? I never saw Dr Strange to know the deal there. It's on my list eventually.

Regarding Cap at the end, it definitely breaks the rules. Only other explanation is if he entered the main timeline and was present in the main timeline the entire time (meaning 2x Caps have been in the main timeline).

the "something bad would happen" was simply introduced that the ancient one didn't want to give up her charge as protector of the time stone. she says she absolutely needs it to protect earth. so tries to make a deal that he'll return them immediately upon taking them, so that at no point her universe is missing them. even THAT doesn't convince her, but hulk still agrees that it's a good idea to return everything back to where it naturally belongs so they stick with it. it's a handy way to try to not muck up the multiverse (even though they probably do that anyway, and honestly, if quantum theory is actually full correct, there's an infinite amount of universes where they DID muck everything up. i mean, there's a universe where hulk goes back and just hulkstomps the ancient one to take the time stone. there's a universe where the ancient one obliterates hulk. this is flashpoint paradox (which was done INFINITELY better than endgame, though endgame is still pretty great).

anyway, i'm all done with the discussion on time travel in this movie.

i really liked dr strange. i know some people didn't really like it, it's a bit derivative in a lot of places, but the ending is so clever. it honestly has one of the most creative endings to a world ending conflict i've ever seen on film.

• 1Like

j00t

Winter Soldier being given the shield simply wouldn't work because his character is still hated by the populace for being associated with terrorism. Yeah, like America would accept him as Captain, fuckin lol. He's lucky he's not still imprisoned. Giving it to Falcon, the person who didn't murder the Starks as a Hydra programmed assassin, only seems reasonable. As much as we'd like to think otherwise.

in the comics, people don't know that bucky is captain america. obviously the avengers do, but they spent a lot of time working past his transgressions as winter soldier.

• 1Like

j00t

sounds like a big mess, you gotta have some kind of leader to direct the forces. The KotRT still had Arthur. Natasha would have been great as the new Avengers leader.

well yeah, fury is king arthur in the movies

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’m not a fan of Sam being captain. He’s just a dude with a jet pack and metal wings. I dunno seems like a massive downgrade to have a normal guy as captain America.

Also, can anyone tell me what happened to new gamora?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

I’m not a fan of Sam being captain. He’s just a dude with a jet pack and metal wings. I dunno seems like a massive downgrade to have a normal guy as captain America.

there's no real answer. she's there in the fight, but she isn't seen in the benatar with the asguardians of the galaxy. everyone else is, but she's absent. maybe she was just in the bathroom? or maybe she left? quill is specifically shown looking at a screen of gamora like he's searching for her, but that's it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I remember the screen thing. I mean she acknowledged that she was told she falls in love with Quill during the fight, knees him in the junk and then poof, gone.

I wasn’t a fan I guess cause I hope that’s not a focal point of the next movie, them looking for her.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah I remember the screen thing. I mean she acknowledged that she was told she falls in love with Quill during the fight, knees him in the junk and then poof, gone.

I wasn’t a fan I guess cause I hope that’s not a focal point of the next movie, them looking for her.

Pretty sure that's what that whole scene implies. However my bet is they find her in the first act. If they are really doing the Adam Warlock storyline Gamora could just have been captured by that gold chick and the Guardians go rescue her and that leads into everything else. More likely it will be Quill trying to make her fall in love with him all movie.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

I really like Sam the character, but I agree with this. Every time I see him I think "Okay, so budget, less well armed war machine is trying to do something...". He's not even Hawkeye or Black Widow with a Jetpack, you can say those two are trained super assassins that have clearly been through some kind of insane, Captain America-lite training program. Dude is just a good pilot that was picked to learn a new vehicle. Kind of hoping he gets some kind of super soldier derivative formula, or some more Iron Man gear, or something. (They really tried to give him a niche in Civil War by showing he was more agile than Iron Man/War Machine....but that's all he's got really. Its almost comical in Endgame when he's trying to help War Machine take out that wheel thing and he's shooting some machine pistols at...The giant space tank that is strong enough to burrow through the ground, but my 9mm is going to wreck it...lol. Him and Black Widow desperately needed a throw away line showing how their guns are partial stark tech, or something, because every time they shoot someone I always think 'how is that working?! If guns work, then why doesn't the U.S. military just mop up these mopes?")

On that note...Really want War Machine and just about anyone else to have a buddy film. So much wasted potential with Don Cheadle, he plays the straight man so well in this stuff. Would love to see him maybe try to help out Spider Man now that Tony is gone or what not.

• 1Like