Avengers: Endgame (2019)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
All I know about the Gamora plot line is Drax saying, "There's Gamora!" and then him proceeding to stab something.

Whether Tony's snap removed her is undisclosed. Her not being the original leaves the story open to rekindle said relation ship or turn her into a villain.

Much like a lot of things left unanswered. Could go in an, apologies for the pun, an infinite number of ways.
the "something bad would happen" was simply introduced that the ancient one didn't want to give up her charge as protector of the time stone. she says she absolutely needs it to protect earth. so tries to make a deal that he'll return them immediately upon taking them, so that at no point her universe is missing them. even THAT doesn't convince her, but hulk still agrees that it's a good idea to return everything back to where it naturally belongs so they stick with it. it's a handy way to try to not muck up the multiverse (even though they probably do that anyway, and honestly, if quantum theory is actually full correct, there's an infinite amount of universes where they DID muck everything up. i mean, there's a universe where hulk goes back and just hulkstomps the ancient one to take the time stone. there's a universe where the ancient one obliterates hulk. this is flashpoint paradox (which was done INFINITELY better than endgame, though endgame is still pretty great).

anyway, i'm all done with the discussion on time travel in this movie.

i really liked dr strange. i know some people didn't really like it, it's a bit derivative in a lot of places, but the ending is so clever. it honestly has one of the most creative endings to a world ending conflict i've ever seen on film.
Strange is one of my favorite characters and even after he was listed as being critical in the story, ends up being a magical dam. Fucking seriously? Sorcerous Supreme is shown blowing up Chitauri in the original Avengers invasion scene. Strange "defeated" Dormammu, and yet Strange spends his efforts spinning water. Fucking really... Also, where is he left without the Eye of Aggamoto. Then again, Wong was pretty baller after 5 years without Strange, so who knows where that plot line goes. Without the time stone, Dormammu is open to try again to fuck with our world.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Basically its impossible to affect the primary timeline by visiting the past. Changes to the past create alternate time lines. It's wishy washy at best, but drives the assumption that things that are changed, but changed back, still result in the primary timeline (or alternate timelines coalescing and ultimately creating or solidifying the primary timeline).

Yeah, this is what I got out of it. That they are trying to "reform" as many timelines back into the main one as possible. They left it very vague but the impression was that the more timelines you create artificially, the more potential problems you have.

Also got the feeling they were going with the concept of degrees of change being needed--as in simply a molecule being out of place doesn't create a new dimension. The change has to achieve some kind of significance. I guess otherwise it gets folded back into the quantum soup of possibilities and doesn't branch off. Which is why you can remove the stones, but if you put them back before any event happens with them, the timelines will fold back into themselves...At least, that's kind of what I read between the lines.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
For the sake of everything I hope to god this is the one and only movie that touches on time travel in any form. Basically act like it never was a thing in every movie from here on out.

• 3Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
On that note...Really want War Machine and just about anyone else to have a buddy film. So much wasted potential with Don Cheadle, he plays the straight man so well in this stuff. Would love to see him maybe try to help out Spider Man now that Tony is gone or what not.

They totally set up a Nebula/War Machine pairing. They can get their own series the Handicapables.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All I know about the Gamora plot line is Drax saying, "There's Gamora!" and then him proceeding to stab something.

Whether Tony's snap removed her is undisclosed. Her not being the original leaves the story open to rekindle said relation ship or turn her into a villain.

Much like a lot of things left unanswered. Could go in an, apologies for the pun, an infinite number of ways.
Strange is one of my favorite characters and even after he was listed as being critical in the story, ends up being a magical dam. Fucking seriously? Sorcerous Supreme is shown blowing up Chitauri in the original Avengers invasion scene. Strange "defeated" Dormammu, and yet Strange spends his efforts spinning water. Fucking really... Also, where is he left without the Eye of Aggamoto. Then again, Wong was pretty baller after 5 years without Strange, so who knows where that plot line goes. Without the time stone, Dormammu is open to try again to fuck with our world.

i think strange being "critical" was that he brought everyone that was snapped back TO the battlefield. there's also stark looking at strange at the end and strange giving him the "only one" signal, which encouraged stark to do what needed to be done. though, i don't know if you'd call THAT critical.

j00t

what's Nebula's skillset besides h2h? is she autistic good with machines?

she's a fighter so she has proficiency with every weapon, not just hand to hand. i also assume she's "autistic good" with machines because she IS half machine

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Word on the street is Jonah Hill will be playing a young Odin who becomes the new leader of the avengers.

This is going to be epic!

• 1Cringe
  • 1WTF
  • 1Dislike

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
she's a fighter so she has proficiency with every weapon, not just hand to hand. i also assume she's "autistic good" with machines because she IS half machine

I think the torture scene in IW might have implied a good bit more than fifty percent.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Dislike

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
They somehow continue to make Thor significantly better every single movie he is in since Thor 2. Talk about a huge course correction. Far and away the best of character of the lot IMO.

• 3Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Just saw it. Cap wielding the hammer was one of the single greatest things ever.

Question though. What happened to new Gamora?

Also, I hope this means Thor will be in Guardians 3.
It absolutely means that.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
My opinion: end credits sound could be the kid from iron man 3 (who was shown at the funeral a decent age now) building his own iron man suit.

His scenes in IM3 showed him already very interested and smarter than average. Plus he's already got a prototype to tinker around with.

Just setting up a replacement for down the line somewhere.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Worf

j00t

honestly, i didn't take the sound as anything about the future. just as a little nod to what started it all

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This thread is why I hate time travel as a solution in movies, it works with ‘unthinking’ viewers but anyone who likes to critically analyze their entertainment, like me, will always get hung up on paradoxical situations and questions with answers that will never satisfy when the the real answer is;

Just because

Fucker

Log Wizard
This thread is why I hate time travel as a solution in movies, it works with ‘unthinking’ viewers but anyone who likes to critically analyze their entertainment, like me, will always get hung up on paradoxical situations and questions with answers that will never satisfy when the the real answer is;

Just because

I'm not a fan of it either. Except Groundhog Day. I also hate it when they are going back in time, and the clocks start running backwards. No, dumbasses, the clocks won't start running backwards.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

dr strange had clever uses of time travel, but they were done in extremely small vacuum's. the fight scene where the background is all happening in reverse, obviously the ending. just clever usages that happen in pockets of reality instead of traveling all over the place.

otherwise it really only works well in movies that you just don't take seriously, like hot tub time machine and bill and ted's

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just came back from seeing this. Amazing sequel and ending to the infinity stone saga, and all 10 years of movies, closing and touching on so many things. So much fan service, amazing...that said it did come at a cost of not being as good a movie as good have been...but it was fine because I think it was a conscious choice to have a great book end to the saga at the cost of maybe not being great on its own.

Still absolutely amazing.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
the rules they set up are absolutely broken when cap goes back to the SAME timeline and can't be explained in any other way than by using theories that haven't been otherwise introduced. if cap didn't go back to the same timeline, then i agree, everything else appeared to be using actual quantum physic theories. but as soon as we see old cap sitting there on the bench, it becomes in-your-face obvious that this was all a single timeline.

and like i said, the conversation with the ancient one confirms this. she says she can't give up the time stone because she needs it to keep the universe safe. hulk says that strange gave up the time stone and ancient one has the epiphany that strange did was he was supposed to. she doesn't argue that "YOU'RE strange did that, not ours." she doesn't argue that strange doesn't ever become the sorcerer supreme. she doesn't argue ANYTHING that would confirm the many worlds theory. her point of view is that their present is her destined future.

sure we can IMAGINE that there's a way old cap came back using some stark teck that he got from his new timeline, but the movie does nothing to actually set that up. there's no actual discussion had of hopping from one timeline to another, it's only about creating NEW timelines.

That's literally the only time they break the rules and it has nothing to do with the plot. And even at that, as other have speculated, there are work arounds. All in all, I think they were pretty consistent and the story was well done. Nothing to do with how they obtained the stones and reached a resolution broke any of the established rules. As far as the 'your Strange' thing goes, up until that point, it WAS their doctor Strange. It was onl sent on another timeline when Banner arrived at the past he knew. the branching point was at the very moment he arrived and interacted with it