Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Now just hold on one second.

Hiring an African chick to play a Nordic goddess isnt some kind of grey area where you have to have your SJW detectors finely tuned to detect it. Its full on, over the line, so ridiculous it can't be parodied, SJWism. Its hiring a legless person to play the flash, a skinny gay communist to play superman, a fat black trans-woman to play wonder woman. Its over the top, goddam ridiculous, in your face full throated intersectional bullshit SJWism.

Theres being oversensitive to SJWism and then theres appropriate reactions to fucking ridiculous, jarring, suspension of disbelief breaking casting decisions that were made for NO other reason than SJW ideology.

They aren’t Nordic gods, they are aliens from another realm.

Also don’t lump me in with the guy blabbering about African nord slaves?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Does this logic work for black panther? There is no real Wakanda, it doesn't exist. Why can't Wakanda have white people? Why isn't Wakanda a multicultural society? Oh, I know, I know...because Wakanda is actually about race, right? But the warrior race a group of white people developed in the Germanic northland was multicultural. Okay.
This. I wouldnt have a problem with a black valkryie or multicultural Asgard if Wakanda was multicultural as well. Instead no, they make Wakanda as black as night and even go as far to make fun of pale little bilbo over his whiteness when he stumbles into but Asgard is some multicultural 21st century America in space.

Have some self respect.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
I think the casting and portrayal of him was fine. I'm sure a few of our resident derps will claim his casting is part of the big SJW conspiracy though.
Yeah defo, I mean there are loads of black Norse gods so it's easy for them to slot him in without anyone noticing.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So you find it less likely that an African nation who has remained completely isolated from the western world on purpose would be racially homogenous than fucking aliens? One of which is a frost giant that looks like a white man.

Neck beard autists ahoy!

• 2Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah defo, I mean there are loads of black Norse gods so it's easy for them to slot him in without anyone noticing.

You realize you are arguing about the color of made up characters?

Now we are down a rabbit hole where the gods have to be the color of the people that worship them.

I mean, technically there are ZERO WHITE NORSE GODS

• 2Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
So you find it less likely that an African nation who has remained completely isolated from the western world on purpose would be racially homogenous than fucking aliens? One of which is a frost giant that looks like a white man.

Neck beard autists ahoy!
Heimdal obviously didn't have odins favour to illusion him up from an inventor to the white guy we deserved.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
You realize you are arguing about the color of made up characters?

Now we are down a rabbit hole where the gods have to be the color of the people that worship them.

I mean, technically there are ZERO WHITE NORSE GODS
And technically, you're a faggot.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
"Gods" are obviously a reflection of the people themselves whom created the myths often to describe the "origins" of themselves.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Neck beard autists ahoy!
I think this is where if I point out how logically within the MCU's framework it makes no sense for Wakanda to have never been never discovered prior to BP you go "lol its a comic book movie!".

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was playing the movie over in my mind after talking to a friend who just watched it, and it reminded me of the gauntlet "football" scene - of course the black guy runs the "ball" the furthest, and when a woman does she gets the shit knocked out of her. Who all carried? Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel... I know I'm missing a few.

An Avengers Pro Bowl video game sounds interesting.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did anyone call heimdall a sjw token hire? I do not remember that

Yes, in the original Thor thread people bitched about Heimdall being black probably as much as the destroyer getting it's ass kicked the way it did.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I definitely remember the outrage, here on this site included.
His success paved the way for all the other black Asgardians.

The laughable thing is not that she's woman and/or black, but that the episode before she was sloppy drunk and showed no leadership at all. It's assumed with her cleaning up the docks or what have you plus five years elapsed. But we aren't shown it.
This is especially true when we're reminded how much a badass the former queen was in the same movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
People on this forum did yes.

Heimdall and Valkyrie are interesting characters acted well, it's not worth bitching about. Valkyrie in particular was pretty good starting off as a bitchy drunk exile, then ending up in hiding in Norway leading the remaining Asgardians while Thor was a drunk slob, then riding a badass Pegasus against Thanos' army she got who fucking knows where.

Captain Marvel is worth bitching about. She doesn't develop at all and starts off with the same bitch personality Valkyrie had without the character flaw of being a drunk coward who abandoned her people.

I think SJW token hires are the least of our worries now, it's SJW Mary Sues. Get ready for all female Avengers where Scarlet Witch gives all the men get dick cancer for some reason because she can't resurrect Vision, so Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Wasp and Shuri have to save them while bitching at each other constantly because they all have the same twitter SJW personality (introducing She-Hulk and Hawkeye Daughter who are also like this). Scarlet Witch obviously has to be the bad gal because she has a normal personality.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Heimdall and Valkyrie are interesting characters acted well, it's not worth bitching about. Valkyrie in particular was pretty good starting off as a bitchy drunk exile, then ending up in hiding in Norway leading the remaining Asgardians while Thor was a drunk slob, then riding a badass Pegasus against Thanos' army she got who fucking knows where.

Those two characters, particularly Valkyrie, are acted amazingly, written well, and they're charismatic and can hold their own. They have so much presence. I still love the scene in Thor: Ragnarok where Valkyrie is telling about when Hella killed the rest of the Valkyrie (is her name actually Valkyrie? Or were the female fights collectively called Valkyrie), and it has the slow motion scene where she's flying at Hella and Hella is whipping all their asses. Amazing scene.

Let's not forget how great Hella was, as a female lead villain. Fucking perfect.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
They've cast about 90% of the characters with ridiculously charismatic, badass actors. RDJ, SLJ, Hemsworth, Evans, Renner, Rudd, ScarJo, Bendadick Cucumberpop, Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston... When I read comics now, I'm literally using their voices in my head.

The other 10% are bad to fucking awful. Red Skull for instance. Hugo Weaving is a badass, but he hammed it up too much. Don't even know the name of his replacement but he looked and sounded a lot more like how I picture him. Same with Eccleston, you can sorta see the both of them acting like tropey villain's of older movies, not like Loki or Thanos, who are 100x more memorable. And again in Ironman 3, you have two badass actors who are just over the top or straight stupid as fuck. Michael B Jordan was portrayed alright, they just gave him some dumb as fuck lines. James Spader being fucking James Spader. Brie Larson is just trash for some reason. She has acting chops, she just didn't use any of it. No surprise, these are all from the lesser rated films. Overacting or in Larson's case, not acting at all, are what made these characters and their movies bad (for the most part, but also bad or stupid plots).

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Those two characters, particularly Valkyrie, are acted amazingly, written well, and they're charismatic and can hold their own. They have so much presence. I still love the scene in Thor: Ragnarok where Valkyrie is telling about when Hella killed the rest of the Valkyrie (is her name actually Valkyrie? Or were the female fights collectively called Valkyrie), and it has the slow motion scene where she's flying at Hella and Hella is whipping all their asses. Amazing scene.

Let's not forget how great Hella was, as a female lead villain. Fucking perfect.

valkyrie has a name, we just haven't ever heard it. the valkyrie are a specific group of female-only fighters that were all hand picked by odin. her comic book counterpart is named brunnhilde, but that summons kind of a specific looking image, so i'm not surprised they haven't officially named her that in the MCU.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
valkyrie has a name, we just haven't ever heard it. the valkyrie are a specific group of female-only fighters that were all hand picked by odin. her comic book counterpart is named brunnhilde, but that summons kind of a specific looking image, so i'm not surprised they haven't officially named her that in the MCU.

Pretty sure Brunnhilde was the girl that sacrificed herself for Valkyrie in the flashback.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Well it did it, Marvel Studios and Disney Pictures’ “Avengers: Endgame” has officially surpassed the $2 billion mark in its second weekend in theaters.

In record time, the film is now the second-highest grossing movie of all time with $2.188 billion globally, passing the $2.186 billion global haul of “Titanic” in just 11 days and easily smashing the $2.04 billion total haul of its own predecessor “Avengers: Infinity War”.

“Avatar,” the current highest grossing movie of all time, took 47 days to reach where ‘Endgame’ currently is. It’s expected the James Cameron-directed blue alien film will lose its long-standing position in the weeks to come.

‘Endgame’ has already earned $620 million at the domestic box office, making it the 9th biggest title ever in North America so far, along with a monster $1.56 billion overseas – $575 million of which is from China.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure Brunnhilde was the girl that sacrificed herself for Valkyrie in the flashback.

i think that was an obvious reference, and i mean, it could be, but outside of that, she has dragonfang, which is brunnhilde's sword. i mean she COULD have taken it from her? in the flashback scene she's using it already...

though... i guess there's some nonsense about the MCU valkyrie ALL having dragonfang swords. so i don't know.

either way, she DOES have a name, we just don't know it.

• 1Like