Avowed

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Obsidian has to be one of the most overrated developers ever. They have a bunch of slightly above-average games and one really good one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They should have stuck to their bread and butter which was CRPG. As soon as they ventured into more modern type fully 3d games they have been mediocre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

They should have stuck to their bread and butter which was CRPG. As soon as they ventured into more modern type fully 3d games they have been mediocre.
They have been struggling for a while. iffy games, lots of bad business deals.

trouble started with getting shafted by THQ and south park:stick of truth. THQ going bankrupt screwed them.
Famously didnt get a bonus for fallout:new vegas by missing metacritic by 1 point.

Obsidian has a deal with Inxile to share tech it seems. which might account for some of their design choices. avowed/clockwork empire sharing tech? its very odd obsidian didn't make a tactical game like Wasteland then..

Pillers 1 was kickstarted and at the time the most successful.

Avellone got rail roaded out of the company.

friends/in bed with doublefine. which should tell you alot. were part of FiG(so was inxile).

Tyranny didn't do well. unfinished game. with no ending.

poe2 was crowdfunded on fig. successful, but the game was not beloved.. not like Divinity: os1/2. or Pathfinder:kingmaker/wrath.

wait, Grounded was Obsidian? that was pretty well liked. uses unreal 4, so does outer worlds.
there was pentiment as well. which got no press at all.
Pillers was unity.

Avowed is unreal 5 it seems.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I need to play wasteland 3 again, first CRPG and just had an amazing time with it. What I need at the time and what I want in my RPG

Caliane

So playing the Outer worlds now, and I know exactly what they mean in terms of "Kotor2/outer worlds in size". yeah, this zoned off planet/planet design. ooph. like every "area" is just a skyrim town. small contained areas, with little to no cross questing. Definitely a disappointing choice. I'd take a planescape/majora's mask design over this.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just saw something talking about Obsidian trying to get a hold of Fall Out again, and I didnt disagree that New Vegas was good. Outer Worlds or w/e, like talked about above, was a novel experience but I beat it in just a few hours and had barely any interest in doing anything else in the game. Every time someone talked about Avowed, however, it seems as though they learned that lesson from Outer Worlds and are putting more effort into the world.

But the point of the necro, sorta, is just that - has anyone actually seen something thats kind of cool about this game lately?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
So playing the Outer worlds now, and I know exactly what they mean in terms of "Kotor2/outer worlds in size". yeah, this zoned off planet/planet design. ooph. like every "area" is just a skyrim town. small contained areas, with little to no cross questing. Definitely a disappointing choice. I'd take a planescape/majora's mask design over this.

well how would you expect them to do a planet hopping game? just build half a dozen or so planets with complete freedom you can explore them entirely? the difference between kotor2 and outer worlds was that kotor2 had solid writing and philosophical underpinnings, a very in-depth exploration of the exile and their past and how it has influenced their companions. outer worlds was some kind of weird woke commentary against capitalism made by a capitalistic game company without any depth in terms of writing or interesting npcs.

also how did they screw up ladders so badly in outer worlds? like ladders aren't hard to do, they did them fine back in the 90s with half life or any other 3D RPG. also the whole "hold down button to proceed" was also unnecessarily clunky.