Away

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Away

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama

First aired: 2020-09-04

Creator: Andrew Hinderaker

Cast: Hilary Swank, Josh Charles, Ato Essandoh, Adam Irigoyen, Mark Ivanir, Ray Panthaki, Vivian Wu, Talitha Bateman

Overview: American astronaut Emma Green must leave her husband and teenage daughter behind to command an international space crew embarking upon a treacherous mission. A series about hope, humanity and how we need one another if we are to achieve impossible things.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So this is a new Netflix series, features a heterogeneous mix of astronauts attempting the first mission to Mars. I love space travel, and I love complicated family dynamics so I'm "hooked" by the show and will finish it. This is not a masterpiece. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad. For example, there are gorgeous scenes out in space, outside the ship, and within the ship, and some decent acting in parts. But also parts of it are just honestly quite stupid. For example, while on a spaceship that has left the moon and on their way to Mars, they are able to make cell phone calls to earth at any time with perfect reception. There's a legitimate "inclusion" vibe where we have lesbians, have to be nice to kids with down syndrome, handicapped people, etc. And there's some downright retarded medical things.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
The "inclusion" vibe where we have lesbians is the best vibe there is. Cmon, who can hate on lesbians ?

spronk

FPS noob
did you ever watch the Apple TV series, For All Mankind ? i think its supposed to be a similar sorta show, i downloaded it (fuck paying Apple) but never got around to watching.

I saw this on Netflix but looked a bit too tame for me, i'll get around to it eventually but since its Netflix paid for it should never leave the service so no rush. I also find Hillary Swank a bit off putting

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started watching this a few days ago. Its one of those shows that is actually difficult to binge for me. It has good points and over reaching points that I have to take a break from. I like the concept of how difficult it would be to manage different points of hardship surrounding a trip like this. Could a marriage last knowing that at any moment your wife could die(odds are in favor of it) and you cannot see her for nearly 3 years. Meanwhile you also have to continue raising a teenager with the help of a very attractive friend of your wife. It could have been a realistic scenario. Talking on a cell phone based on the positions reflected in the movie, was not realistic. The breakdowns both of the ship and the crew make for some descent moments. Its not a bad show but its not great either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Me and the woman watched 3-4 episodes of this so far, its not bad but its not amazing. It just makes me want to rewatch The Expanse.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Woman astronaut leader goes on dangerous mission while the man stays behind at home to take care of their kid.

hard pass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I love complicated family dynamics
So you're the reason for stuff like that!

I haven't watched this show, so perhaps I'm totally off-base, and Mahes raises some good points about the family stuff, but 99% of the time I'd rather the family be "normal" and not a part of the story aside from just background fluff, and have things like the mission itself be the "complicated" part of the story.

Like, there are movies that are billed as something like, "a couple navigating their impending divorce" and I'm like, why the fuck would I want to watch that?? I realize sometimes shows like that can be amazing, but it will take a lot of buzz to get me to ever turn on something like that. I'd rather a show be mostly about something NOT faced by millions of people every day. True, going to Mars isn't faced by anyone right now, but...dealing with long-distance partners and raising a kid without them amidst tempting hotties certainly IS faced everyday by some people. Or at least close enough to something I can imagine myself going through as to make no difference. So this is (again pardon my lack of actual watching the show) just that same story dressed up with pseudo-sci-fi backdrops? Probably a pass from me unless it really delves into the non-relationship stuff.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
To be fair, this got better. I’m on the last episode now. At least they had an interesting arc with the water generator system.

I died laughing. So, they are in the ship, but they send a supply ship a few weeks earlier to land and have tons of gear for them to use when they land, and of course they had drama if the supply ship la fed ok or not. .I honestly had the question to why not send the ship a year earlier so that they could make sure it’s safe before shipping people there. The show addresses it as such a dumb question that they actually had the Down syndrome girl ask the question so they could answer it for us. Lmao.

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was pretty eh, but at least it wasn't 'Another World'.

Was sort of serious science, not as much as 'For All Mankind', but better than average in that respect.

The interpersonal drama was silly and fabricated though - are we to believe they just grabbed a bunch of people at random and threw them on the mission at the last minute ? These people should have been working together for years, not going for mutiny in the first 5 minutes of the mission because they don't 'respect' the commander.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database