Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

elidib

Vyemm Raider
look i absolutely don't blame you guys for not watching a 3 hour video, so here's a timestamp of the relevant thing that's being talked about.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think it's cool he sticks to RPG and was a huge EQ nerd.

But he is a cuck fag otherwise. He caved to some leftists and wont even say "dude" on stream anymore because its somehow offensive.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I just can't take anyone seriously who wears a beanie 24/7.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well I don't actually watch any of his shit. But I can respect that he stays true to our collective genre.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ima stop you right there and challenge you to come up with a single story element that relies on, say, a halfling player character only having 15 strength instead of 17.

Or, to follow 5E more closely, a story element that is ruined by the PC having an 80% chance to pass a strength check vs having a 70% chance to pass a strength check.

While I can appreciate the argument that racial stats are interesting, and I even agree with it, suggesting that lack of it limits storytelling in a single player is veering quickly into pants on head territory.
Bro, how much tabletop have you played? Or any RPGs in the DND setting in general?

Having every character being able to do everything defeats the purpose of a ROLE PLAYING GAME.

Yes my halfling ranger can drive the story because he is able to join the Lone Rangers of Hobbitville... because he's a halfling and your half-orc berserker wouldn't be allowed this questline. You joining the Lone Rangers gets them to help you reach the hidden glade and progress the story. But you couldn't do this if you weren't a halfling. Because he is both the wrong class and the wrong race. My halfling with 15 strength is unable to pass the strength check that removes a massive boulder in front of a hidden passageway.

But the half-orc in the party can... But yes it is racist or something that the Lone Rangers won't accept your half-orc and this robs the player somehow of that experience.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
My halfling with 15 strength is unable to pass the strength check that removes a massive boulder in front of a hidden passageway.

But the half-orc in the party can...

I cut all the irrelevant stuff that no-one has changed or is talking about changing.

This bit though - that's not how ability checks work. 15 strength is a +2 modifer, and 17 is a +3. For it to be impossible for the halfling, it would need to be a strength check with DC23,
which your theoretical half-orc would still need to roll a natural 20 to pass. 5E is all about percentages, not hard gates - you need to be prepare for any outcome for a given ability check, or be able to adapt on the fly.

That's just the rules though - nothing is stopping the GM for saying 'your tiny halfling frame is unable to shift the boulder' if he feels that the halfling character moving the boulder was immersion breaking or hampered his story telling. No-one is forcing your tabletop game to use assignable racial stats in the first place.

And even *that* isn't relevant to what was being discussed, which is how it hinders storytelling in this, specific, game. Which is even MORE pointless because you can just assign the stats to whatever they would have been anyway !

I'm perfectly happy with people not liking the change - I'm not in favor either. There's no need for insane hyperbole about how it ruins everything though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's just another stepping stone along the way of races being nothing more than a cosmetic decision that don't effect anything the game has to offer in any way. Which detracts from a high fantasy DND adventure that is based on the tabletop experience.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
look i absolutely don't blame you guys for not watching a 3 hour video, so here's a timestamp of the relevant thing that's being talked about.

That’s horrible. I can’t imagine a company making my character an insufferable twat and being happy about it.

Caliane

That’s horrible. I can’t imagine a company making my character an insufferable twat and being happy about it.
Cohh has been in multiple games at this point. the first time, yeah, you probably want your character to be supercool and liked. by the 5th time, you likely are far more cheeky about it.
He's voiced a few chracter, solasta notably. (he's a horrible va)

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
god i just found out they snuck in pronoun choice for character since i got it

attempting a refund

• 5Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 7 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I already explained in the post that making choices meaningless is shitty. In your retarded analogy, how come the game doesn't just act like you win every battle even if you lose and die? Why should anyone ever lose anything just because they don't play well? As long as you win then why does other people losing in a single player game AFFECT YOU???

Fuck some people are retarded
Your arguments are pretty retarded for someone who is trying to use them to show i'm retarded.
Bro, how much tabletop have you played? Or any RPGs in the DND setting in general?

Having every character being able to do everything defeats the purpose of a ROLE PLAYING GAME.

Yes my halfling ranger can drive the story because he is able to join the Lone Rangers of Hobbitville... because he's a halfling and your half-orc berserker wouldn't be allowed this questline. You joining the Lone Rangers gets them to help you reach the hidden glade and progress the story. But you couldn't do this if you weren't a halfling. Because he is both the wrong class and the wrong race. My halfling with 15 strength is unable to pass the strength check that removes a massive boulder in front of a hidden passageway.

But the half-orc in the party can... But yes it is racist or something that the Lone Rangers won't accept your half-orc and this robs the player somehow of that experience.
"you're not playing a role if you have 16 strength instead of 15 you fucking moron dipshit jesus you ruined my ability to enjoy the story they're trying to tell!!1!1!"

"You getting 17 str instead of 16 means that you can join the elven imperial army as an ogre male and become their queen, all because they let you adjust stats instead of locking them and forcing you to play certain race/class combos exclusively or be forcibly gimped. It ruins the game for me because i'm incapable of allocating stats in the manner I think is proper, by giving me the choice I have lost all ability to play my game with the stats that I think they should have and instead have to play a pixie barbarian with 20 strength only because they made it possible!!1!"

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
god i just found out they snuck in pronoun choice for character since i got it

attempting a refund
Uh oh, all the blizzard hating retards in the d4 thread screaming about how this game is going to blow it away because it's not woke sjw tranny devs on suicide watch now.

• 1NPC
  • 1Moron
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Sven is there for the first hour. Talks about a lot of things. Release is 10am pacific time on Aug 3rd (so around 6-7pm for UK/EU) (3 day head start is cancelled in case anyone missed that). They wanted to do it earlier (their time), but Steam wanted it early on steam time so they could be sure to cover support.

EDIT: Finished watching it. Recap

- Game is basically done. Locked final build yesterday review copies going out soon.

- They had planned stat rolls (like in the old ones), but was cut.

- Game features so many new things compared to the current version that it will be a "new" download. It's "very large". (EA is 80gigs, so wouldn't be surprised if it's 100+.)

- Class / Race will impact story, but some to a bigger degree than others due to entire areas dedicated to them. Like Druid, Drow and such.

- (coop) Party members can listen in on all conversations, but will be "pulled in" for critical ones. Person who initiates will decide and roll.

- Steam deck support later (new build released yesterday, it will be there at one point, but might not be at launch)

- They planned to have "danger zones" where camping was limited/denied (as the older games had), so had to focus on resource management. The testers hated it. Since the combat is so involved they had to travel out of the "zones" to camp then go back. It wasn't fun, so they scrapped most of them.

- Camp/dialogue system is made in a way that you can never see everything. Example he used was if you talk to Laezel in camp, then to Shadowheart, she will ask you what you were talking about with options to answer. Talk to Shadowheart first, that will not happen. But he said they have put in place securities that you will never miss important/critical scenes.

- Also mentioned the secret Sven has. Years ago he was in an interview saying he had a secret that he couldn't talk about. Cohh then asks if it was the Dark Urge. Sven "No, it was bear sex".

--- it was the Dark urge, idea he had for a long time. He says it's not something he recommend for a first run. Reason is that if you play it first, you get lots of events, and when you play the dark urge, you get "oh shit" moments because you see how differently you can impact those events. If you play it the first run, you won't get that sensation, because you kind of need to know what's different to get the effect of the changes)

- Kind of major info (especially compared to DOS2). In DOS2, if you played a custom character, you missed out on a bunch of story and events. In this game Sven says he always picks a custom character at start. He recommends origin characters for secondary playthroughs. Said there is nothing "wrong" with picking an origin character, but he likes discovering their story as an unknown, then when you pick them, you get "their" versions of events, because you're in their head. What they think the first time they meet characters, what they naturally would do in events and so on. But (thankfully) it doesn't seem like a DOS2 situation where you got "less game" from picking custom (I always recommend using the 6 player mod in DOS2 and going tactician to make up for the extra power. That way, you get all character stories in one run.)

- You can respec origin characters as well, but they will always "be" their origin in terms of their story.

- And finally, I know many on these forums don't like CohhCarnage. They announced now that he is a character. A revamp of Noober. Dev said, if you find him annoying, you can push him in a river, among other things.
Why they put CuckCarnage in these games, I'll never know. It's not like his 10,000 bot army that he logs into his streams everyday is going to buy a single copy of the game.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Uh oh, all the blizzard hating retards in the d4 thread screaming about how this game is going to blow it away because it's not woke sjw tranny devs on suicide watch now.

Yeah Blizzard has really improved leaps and bounds in making games. And they definitely care more about quality of product than ever - only releasing finished products, fairly pricing things/not being predatory and not being political activists for disgusting causes (openly as a company, not individuals).

What were we all thinking! Thx man!

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Your arguments are pretty retarded for someone who is trying to use them to show i'm retarded.

"you're not playing a role if you have 16 strength instead of 15 you fucking moron dipshit jesus you ruined my ability to enjoy the story they're trying to tell!!1!1!"

"You getting 17 str instead of 16 means that you can join the elven imperial army as an ogre male and become their queen, all because they let you adjust stats instead of locking them and forcing you to play certain race/class combos exclusively or be forcibly gimped. It ruins the game for me because i'm incapable of allocating stats in the manner I think is proper, by giving me the choice I have lost all ability to play my game with the stats that I think they should have and instead have to play a pixie barbarian with 20 strength only because they made it possible!!1!"

I mean this is silly. What you are getting at is that race in high fantasy should be irrelevant. Nobody forces you to be a min maxing powergamer but you act like that's the default way to play.

• 1Like