Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The XP payouts for dialogue/roleplay stuff are starting to get really lame the further I go.

Specifically the goblin camp:

You can spend hours smooth talking your way around the camp but it's just a complete waste of time and doesn't really get you anywhere. There's no payout for doing any of it, and the resolution of the camp ultimately comes down to just goblin genocide and it's the objective correct choice in terms of loot/xp anyway.

If you get real sneaky you can poison the goblin ale and most of them die from but it doesn't pay out any XP which is just a straight up loss of ~400xp compared to just murdering the entire place by hand etc.

I'm basically back to the Divinity 2 method of using all the dialogue options against random bandits or whatever then immediately entering turn-based mode the second I talk them down and stabbing them all to death anyway, which feels pretty lame

Yeah this. Seems you really need to just fight fight fight. To get decent levels/loot out of things.

I dunno maybe it changes later. Pretty sure I am going to need to long rest 3 times just for that goblin camp. 1 for each of leaders.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this. Seems you really need to just fight fight fight. To get decent levels/loot out of things.
Good. Dialogue enjoyers are always the worst part of a DnD campaign.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I dunno maybe it changes later. Pretty sure I am going to need to long rest 3 times just for that goblin camp. 1 for each of leaders.
I'm playing a talkie bard and dont feel like its costing too much xp. I was level 4 before entering the goblin camp, "swamp" area, underdark, or temple of Wakeen. I did kill most/all of the Gnolls and did the initial barb chick's quest, though. I talked my way out of both groups of Gobos in the first looted village and got XP for it. I haven't been keeping track of XP for talking, but it's sprinkled in.

There are a few reasons that talking to the goblins is beneficial (light spoilers, with medium ones blured):
  1. You can side with them, if you want.
  2. They have a huge stockpile of barrels that you can move around next to all the friendly goblins...then blow them all up, including the leaders.
  3. There are various ways to sabotage them or set up a battle, like letting the spiders out, or, as mentioned, poisoning them. I didn't poising them, so surprised they didn't give xp, but the spiders gave exp, even though I wasn't involved.
  4. You can get a buff from a priest of pain that gives +2 to attack rolls and wis saves for 3 turns when you hit 30% life.
  5. There is a gobo vender outside and a dwarf one inside that you can steal from. I think the gobo vendor is gone if you attack the camp, but the dwarf will be met later in the game (I think).
  6. Follower rep gains from conversations with gobos
  7. Camp pet: Owlbear cub can be a camp pet, if you don't kill it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Mortym made a nice class breakdown with the changes from 5e to the game. Might be helpful for some and might be completely useless for anybody that plays table top, but I watched his monk one the other day just to see what the skill progression was and it looks like they tweaked a lot of things to make it a viable class with the level 12 cap.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I just bought it. I think I want to play a Dwarf, but I don't know all the races. Other than Bard, Barb, Lock and Mage I have no idea what the classes are nor what I want to play. What I do know is I want to just be angry at the world, I want my character to have huge chip on his shoulder and choose violence and harsh words over peace and kindness. Basically I want him to be FoH Brand.

Will update once my character is made.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Mortym made a nice class breakdown with the changes from 5e to the game. Might be helpful for some and might be completely useless for anybody that plays table top, but I watched his monk one the other day just to see what the skill progression was and it looks like they tweaked a lot of things to make it a viable class with the level 12 cap.

Ya, they moved a bunch of high level monk skills to the lower levels so you don't feel too gimped, especially the melee focused subclass tree. I've been enjoying my monk playthrough so far.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ya, they moved a bunch of high level monk skills to the lower levels so you don't feel too gimped, especially the melee focused subclass tree. I've been enjoying my monk playthrough so far.
Yeah, I was wanting to originally play Monk because that's what I played in one of the last table top campaigns with my friends, and had a lot of fun. Then when I found out the level cap deal, I kind of shelved the idea, but I think I'm going to jump back to it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do open hand or shadow.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hit the part where you get your first sex scene, and none of the chicks will sleep with me but the firery chick that "wishes she could ride me, but needs to figure out how to cool down first". Jesus Christ it's like high school all over again!

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm playing a talkie bard and dont feel like its costing too much xp. I was level 4 before entering the goblin camp, "swamp" area, underdark, or temple of Wakeen. I did kill most/all of the Gnolls and did the initial barb chick's quest, though. I talked my way out of both groups of Gobos in the first looted village and got XP for it. I haven't been keeping track of XP for talking, but it's sprinkled in.

There are a few reasons that talking to the goblins is beneficial (light spoilers, with medium ones blured):
  1. You can side with them, if you want.
  2. They have a huge stockpile of barrels that you can move around next to all the friendly goblins...then blow them all up, including the leaders.
  3. There are various ways to sabotage them or set up a battle, like letting the spiders out, or, as mentioned, poisoning them. I didn't poising them, so surprised they didn't give xp, but the spiders gave exp, even though I wasn't involved.
  4. You can get a buff from a priest of pain that gives +2 to attack rolls and wis saves for 3 turns when you hit 30% life.
  5. There is a gobo vender outside and a dwarf one inside that you can steal from. I think the gobo vendor is gone if you attack the camp, but the dwarf will be met later in the game (I think).
  6. Follower rep gains from conversations with gobos
  7. Camp pet: Owlbear cub can be a camp pet, if you don't kill it.

Yeah I hit 4 after killing all 3 leaders just now.
I just used the rogue guy from above hitting the fire chandaliers that explode on falling to start the fights. I also saved the bear guy and he makes a great tank.
I haven't seen gnolls yet or barb chick. Was basically to grove then goblin camp with a stop in the spider cavern.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just bought it. I think I want to play a Dwarf, but I don't know all the races. Other than Bard, Barb, Lock and Mage I have no idea what the classes are nor what I want to play. What I do know is I want to just be angry at the world, I want my character to have huge chip on his shoulder and choose violence and harsh words over peace and kindness. Basically I want him to be FoH Brand.

Pick whatever race you think looks cool. The differences between them don't matter much. I picked Iksar. You can respec for a modest amount of gold fairly early on

The dark urge start is the most edge lord.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
39ducevu2bgb1.png

• 17Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 19 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
About 20 hours into the game and just found out how to change dice skins.

Attachments

• dice.jpg
    dice.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 111
  • 2Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

That frog in the swamp - talking to him with animal talking potion on - he fucking beat my ass for it. Thought "fine, ill get him later" and then walked into the vampire hunter fuck and got my ass beat again. Swamps brutal.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man wtf climbed down this ladder that was behind the door of the goblin priest. Took me way down into this huge cave system with purple rocks all over. But before I could explore this npc in a suit showed up and teleported my whole group into this mansion, telling me to eat his food. I said no, so he turned into the devil and said he could take my tadpole out. I said no didnt trust a crazy devil. Just sent me back to the cave. Curious what would happen if I took his offer.

Daidraco

Man wtf climbed down this ladder that was behind the door of the goblin priest. Took me way down into this huge cave system with purple rocks all over. But before I could explore this npc in a suit showed up and teleported my whole group into this mansion, telling me to eat his food. I said no, so he turned into the devil and said he could take my tadpole out. I said no didnt trust a crazy devil. Just sent me back to the cave. Curious what would happen if I took his offer.
I jumped up on the hill outside of the crashed ship and he showed up and ported my ass off to his mansion. Must be a random event. As much as the Devil's offer has come up in conversation, I think you'll want to encounter him as soon as possible. I took a rain check on his offer cause Im not googling the answer and just about all of my companions have pulled me off to the side and talked about the offer.

Its like a nice type of weird to be playing a game with so much mystery to it.

• 1Like

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The new understanding is there is no need to reroll after u plow 5hrs in it and feel character remorse.
You can change yr character class and it's pretty early on...