Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
sigh i wish i didnt look up spoilers for the adamantine forge fight. now i feel like annoyed i didnt figure that out

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Biggest tip I can give for that fight: turn off group movement and put everyone on raised platforms before turning the lava wheel lol

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It does kind of annoy me though in that you don't really want multiple charisma characters in the same party if you can avoid it. Since you can only have a party of 4 you need to be more careful about who you bring with you.
unless i'm missing something specific about CHA, it's significantly less about doubling up on stats and more about doubling up on roles. a ranger and a monk for example, use the exact same stats, but cover somewhat different roles (ranged dps/support and melee) but will USUALLY have have completely different taste for gear. same with a paladin and a sorcerer. they both can excel at dialogue skills, but outside of that have completely different roles and gear preferences.

also for something like having lae'zel and karlach in the same party, i usually make karlach use 2handers (she's got the everburn blade because it felt on brand) and have lae'zel use two-weapon fighting since fighters get that as a fighting style option, and since fighters get an extra feat it doesn't feel wasteful to give her the dual weapon feat at 6. that way basically none of their gear overlap since karlach shouldn't be using any armor and laezel can use heavy.

• 1Like

Break

Miss
Miss
Miss
Critical Miss
Miss
Miss
Miss
Miss
2 damage
Miss

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, might want to check on what your skill is on that one.

Just got the "Is this all you've done today?" - apparently my g/f is the spitting image of my mother. This game has a real bad habit of "I just beat the boss. Should be able to clear up this little bit of area and be done here." Only for you to find an entirely new wing that takes another hour.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm first play through, I killed spaw and fight just stopped after. Was done. Just had to give excuse to the NPC by him. Now this play through, when I kill spaw, fight doesn't end and entire camp aggros. Even the first time, it took 3 spells and entire camp aggrod, but they all stopped as soon as he died. They just keep coming now.Did they nerf it? Edit: Think I figured it out, apparently glut was too far away? He was way down the path instead of next to me. Soon as I put him next to me, 2 shot him and fight ended with no other aggro.

Last edited:

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I am joining so friends who already started and are a few of hours into the game. How does that work? Can I start a SP game and then use that character to join them after I catch up a little? Create a new MP game?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I am joining so friends who already started and are a few of hours into the game. How does that work? Can I start a SP game and then use that character to join them after I catch up a little? Create a new MP game?
Pretty sure a new game is required as you set the # of players at the start of a multiplayer game.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
If you have friends, they can join a SP game, but it effectively converts the file into a MP game. Once they add one of their characters, that character becomes "locked" to the party. If your friend leaves the game, you can manually control their character, but you can't switch it out with an origin character or a hireling. It's kind of lame; the only workaround is going back to a save prior to the point where they joined.

My friend and I learned that the hard way when he tried to help me out a bit at the start of the game. So now we have one campaign where we basically sandbox things together and individual playthroughs of our own. I'm not sure whether he was importing his characters or creating fresh new ones when he joined.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Man the vampire crypt is buggy as fuck (fuck you it's not a spoiler of course there's a vampire crypt in this game).

There's dirt mounds you can't interact with/dig up, buttons that do nothing (?), and 'resolving' the place doesn't seem to work or update the quest journal at all either?

Burns

Man the vampire crypt is buggy as fuck (fuck you it's not a spoiler of course there's a vampire crypt in this game).

There's dirt mounds you can't interact with/dig up, buttons that do nothing (?), and 'resolving' the place doesn't seem to work or update the quest journal at all either?
So far into chapter 2, every time I walk into an area with tombs/coffins and bunch of bones/dead laying around I think "alright, alright, alright, it's Vampire killin time!"

Then I get a bit in and nope....just Shar.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
A few more random powergaming findings while messing with respecs:

Magic missile is completely cracked with all the random sources of added damage that are available. It counts each missile as an individual hit, so random shit like the gloves that add your caster stat to spell damage get added for each missile, or the singing sword that adds 1d6 piercing damage. With a few of these effects on you can upcast magic missile as a 6th level (there's also an amulet that is 1 extra missile) and it does like 80 damage with no save that can't miss - basically never cast disintegrate, just use 6th level slots for giga missiles if you need single target magic dps.

The above also works with eldritch blast, it just doesn't scale as insanely, however it's still a massive source of sustained damage for eldritch.

Divination spec wizards are actually a cheat code that solves the game if you're really struggling - their prophecy dice or whatever can guarantee CC/disintegrate/whatever landing on the big scary enemy of your choosing and you get tons of them. I had to spec Gale back out of it cause it was actually just trivializing the game on its own.

Sun/light clerics flare reaction or whatever it's called has no limit on it's uses and is basically a free miss on the first hit you take each round, highly recommend if you're running a cleric.

There are gloves that set your dex to 18 flat, and some that do similar for str, so you could easily respec your melee types with this in mind to beef up wis or con for better saves.

Speaking of saves holy shit take resilient (wis) on anyone you want to be in melee hitting things, and either multiclass to cleric/sorc or take resilient or warcaster for con saves on your casters so your concentration doesn't get fucked constantly.

Best source of haste in the game are the haste potions/spore potions just thrown at your feet so they hit they whole party and you don't get hosed by random haste concentration failures.

The sword bard flourish dice look broken as shit, I just haven't really spent the time to sit there and figure out how best to abuse it. Probably ranged since it can target the same target multiple times and there's so many sources available of added damage for ranged attacks with mark etc. Can you dual wield light crossbows? I actually don't have any to test with heh

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
45 hoursish before I got the act 1 achievement. Are there "ACT 2" or whatever splash screens or is it just based on new maps? Or am I in 1.5 of sorts?

EDIT question about path to act 2:
I went through the underdark passage, didn't go mountain pass. Is it one or the other, or can I do both?

I think I did everything that I could for act 1. For forge I went with medium and heavy armor for berserker and cleric.

Game is so good.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Divination spec wizards are actually a cheat code that solves the game if you're really struggling - their prophecy dice or whatever can guarantee CC/disintegrate/whatever landing on the big scary enemy of your choosing and you get tons of them. I had to spec Gale back out of it cause it was actually just trivializing the game on its own.
Actually a cheat code. Also comes in a pinch to avoid getting fucked. Like the beholder in the beginning that ambushes you. Killing it at 4 felt almost trivial (jk I reloaded at least 5 times)

Burns

A few more random powergaming findings while messing with respecs:

Magic missile is completely cracked with all the random sources of added damage that are available. It counts each missile as an individual hit, so random shit like the gloves that add your caster stat to spell damage get added for each missile, or the singing sword that adds 1d6 piercing damage. With a few of these effects on you can upcast magic missile as a 6th level (there's also an amulet that is 1 extra missile) and it does like 80 damage with no save that can't miss - basically never cast disintegrate, just use 6th level slots for giga missiles if you need single target magic dps.

The above also works with eldritch blast, it just doesn't scale as insanely, however it's still a massive source of sustained damage for eldritch.

Sun/light clerics flare reaction or whatever it's called has no limit on it's uses and is basically a free miss on the first hit you take each round, highly recommend if you're running a cleric.

There are gloves that set your dex to 18 flat, and some that do similar for str, so you could easily respec your melee types with this in mind to beef up wis or con for better saves.

Speaking of saves holy shit take resilient (wis) on anyone you want to be in melee hitting things, and either multiclass to cleric/sorc or take resilient or warcaster for con saves on your casters so your concentration doesn't get fucked constantly.

Best source of haste in the game are the haste potions/spore potions just thrown at your feet so they hit they whole party and you don't get hosed by random haste concentration failures.

The sword bard flourish dice look broken as shit, I just haven't really spent the time to sit there and figure out how best to abuse it. Probably ranged since it can target the same target multiple times and there's so many sources available of added damage for ranged attacks with mark etc. Can you dual wield light crossbows? I actually don't have any to test with heh
Magic missile was the go-to spell in BG1/2 for single target nukes, but 5e tried to neuter it. Good to see them back on that top dog spot!

Div spec wiz seemed reasonably balanced when it was 2 dice per long rest, but I just recently got level 8, where they become 3 per short rest and you start to hand them out like candy.

Tempest Cleric with the mace from the Gith area is a beast in chapter 2 (can melee well, when not tossing maximized Lighting Storms around, and needs to be in close to blind things), I guess Sun/Light might be better when there are less Undead/Fiends? Shadowheart is up to 25 AC in medium armor as I am standing here looking at the door to chapter 3 (thinking I must have missed something, if this was the first message about advancing the story, I have seen in Ch. 2).

Talos

Question about respeccing Shadowheart.

I want to use her as more of a backline healer/support. Trickery domain is not very good.

Does changing her domain affect her story and dialogue at all? Like is it important for her to remain in the trickery domain or will any cleric domain be okay for her?