Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Question about respeccing Shadowheart.

I want to use her as more of a backline healer/support. Trickery domain is not very good.

Does changing her domain affect her story and dialogue at all? Like is it important for her to remain in the trickery domain or will any cleric domain be okay for her?

Sven stated that any sort of respec on the origin characters won't affect their stories. Only two origin characters have sub things locked, but everything else is ok. So example, you can repec Wyll to another class, but he will always be a warlock to the story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Question about respeccing Shadowheart.

I want to use her as more of a backline healer/support. Trickery domain is not very good.

Does changing her domain affect her story and dialogue at all? Like is it important for her to remain in the trickery domain or will any cleric domain be okay for her?
Edit: Droigan beat me to it.

When I respeced her Tempest and kept her as cleric, she still stays Shar cleric, just different domain (for staying true to the story), but according to others, respec to totally different classes wont matter to the story, as it will act as if the character is the original class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Edit: Droigan beat me to it.

When I respeced her Tempest and kept her as cleric, she still stays Shar cleric, just different domain (for staying true to the story), but according to others, respec to totally different classes wont matter to the story, as it will act as if the character is the original class.
Ah okay. That's what I was wondering. I want the story and the class to be consistent.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Am I missing something with warlocks or is the game fucking up? At level 12 Wyll has 1 1st level spell slot, and 3 5th level slots and that's it? So if you want to hex stuff you have to burn 5th level slots to do it? He seemed to be getting spell slots for each level of spells as he leveled up but they just don't ever actually exist outside the level up screen?

Edit: went and read the 5e phb and yea i guess this is just how warlocks work. Seems really fucking boring to just be an eldritch blast machine, even if it a ton of sustained damage

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>

Yeah god forbid ((companies)) start making good games again that are finished on sale don’t have micro transactions.

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
fc3ebx8rw9hb1.png

Meth head Mary.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
First time run through play Dark Urge Origin or no?

It sounds really damn cool, but I'm hearing it should be a second play through.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Am I missing something with warlocks or is the game fucking up? At level 12 Wyll has 1 1st level spell slot, and 3 5th level slots and that's it? So if you want to hex stuff you have to burn 5th level slots to do it? He seemed to be getting spell slots for each level of spells as he leveled up but they just don't ever actually exist outside the level up screen?

Edit: went and read the 5e phb and yea i guess this is just how warlocks work. Seems really fucking boring to just be an eldritch blast machine, even if it a ton of sustained damage

Sort of - not sure if you noticed, but hex is a jumpy spell, whenever you cast it on something and it dies, you get the hex back and can pass it on with a bonus action instead of casting it again. You need do concentration though.

But yeah, warlocks are basically magic archers. Respec him to warlock/sorcerer for some more blasting power.

velk

Trakanon Raider
First time run through play Dark Urge Origin or no?

It sounds really damn cool, but I'm hearing it should be a second play through.

The reasoning for that from the dev convinced me - basically the way that the dark urge fucks everything up is less obvious if you didn't previously know where things were going.

For an early act1 example
Ganking Gale for the lols has less impact if you don't know he's a companion and not just some random stuck in a rock.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So where do you find the gnomes you saved in grymforge after? I camped right after the brutal fight and now when I got back they were all gone.

Quest tab says go talk to them, but where? did I miss out? Because fuck doing that fight again.

j00t

warlocks are a ton of fun, but i admit they aren't for everyone. they have very few spell slots, but all their spells are super charged to up to 5th level. those slots come back on short rests so depending on the group makeup, you might be taking a ton of short rests, or your the one guy in the group going, uh, can we PLEASE take a short rest?

at lvl 11 and every 2 levels up to 17 they get mystic arcanum where they can pick a single high level spell to cast once a long rest. so, 6th level spell at 11th level, 7th at 13, 8th and 15 and 9th at 17. there are certain spells that are really designed to be upcast, which makes them perfect warlock spells. armor of agathys, for example gives 5 temp hp, and if they get hit in melee, the attacker takes 5 cold damage for as long as the temp hp holds, all of that is per level. so at 5th level, they have 25 temp hp and attackers take 25 cold damage, even if the attacker only does 1 damage.

another one is witch bolt. in any other caster's hands is sort of a lame duck spell, but because warlocks can cast it up to lvl 5, that means if it hits the first round, that spell is doing 5d10 lightning damage per round as long as the warlock takes an action to use it. he doesn't have to make an attack role, he just has to use his action to do 5d10 lightning.

it may sound goofy and boring, but it legitimately means that a lvl 11 warlock can cast 9 lvl 5 spells per average adventuring day. any other class can only cast 2 lvl 5 spells and 1 lvl 6 spell per adventuring day.

early levels it definitely feels like as a warlock the only thing you are doing is eldritch blast, but mid level? no one likes using their turn to cast a lvl 1 spell at mid level, meanwhile warlocks are tossing out 5th level spells all day long

• 2Like

Burns

Fun with pickpocketing: Pick up the flowers that give an anti-magic 10ft aura in the underdark and send them to camp chest. Once you find a boss type caster, that you may need to fight at a later date, then sneak up to them and put the flower in their pocket. You don't get the flower back when that person/thing dies, but they just run around most of the fight trying to get out of the aura.

• 7Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Burns

So where do you find the gnomes you saved in grymforge after? I camped right after the brutal fight and now when I got back they were all gone.

Quest tab says go talk to them, but where? did I miss out? Because fuck doing that fight again.
Edit: Reread the post and was getting locations mixed up (I was thinking Moontower, later in the chapter). No idea where they all disappear too, if you dont talk to them. The next chapter, maybe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I have the vamp as Rouge, shadowheart as cleric, the gith tank, and I am an evil pally, all level 4. That high enough to beat the hag? I got to the vine covered door and chickened out. I'm more worried about her 1 shotting my peeps.
Also on that note, what is the best melee weapon for the rouge? I have a magic dagger but that seems like weaksauce.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Grabbit Allworth Grabbit Allworth I was reading some lists of what has changed in BG3 vs tabletop 5E and stumbled in to this build site. Initially I kind of scoffed at your idea of 'i don't allow multiclassing in my games' but holy shit I've changed my mind - this is the gayest shit I've seen in a long time lol:

Maybe if you include in your character 'build' includes blocks of test like this:

Creator’s Note – Making a custom background is RAW. Page 125 of the Player’s Handbook 125 states:

You're a gigantic fag and no one is gonna play DND with you
Yep.

I didn't make that decision willy-nilly. I hate taking things from my players, but I thought about the potential consequences of multi-classing for a long time and realized I had to drastically restrict it. Fortunately, it's never been an issue. Over the years I've run 7-8 long-term campaigns for a couple dozen people and only one of my players had anything negative to say about the change.

I know my method isn't for everyone, but I stand by it and I can almost guarantee you that any experienced DM has a horror story about some prick building a MC monster that made running the game migraine-inducing.

It's a lot easier to give a blanket "No" than have the "We need to talk about your character" conversation after they've been playing it for months.

My current campaign is ~18 months old. I have 5 players and their characters are level 12. I'm not even sure they know I don't allow MCing, but it's never come up because none of them have even considered it.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the vamp as Rouge, shadowheart as cleric, the gith tank, and I am an evil pally, all level 4. That high enough to beat the hag? I got to the vine covered door and chickened out. I'm more worried about her 1 shotting my peeps.
Also on that note, what is the best melee weapon for the rouge? I have a magic dagger but that seems like weaksauce.
I know it's petty, but...goddamn I hate it when people spell rogue as rouge.

Rapier is widely considered the best finesse/light rogue weapon.

Regarding the Hag,

I actually solo'd her with my level 5 Rogue main character. I didn't want to walk my party through the traps so I snuck in, popped haste potion, triggered the event, hit her with Faerie Fire, and beat her ass with 3 rounds of Sneak Attack.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

first, it's "rogue." there, that's out of the way... i beat the hag at lvl 3, i'll just say not to forget your support spells. i honestly really liked that fight as it forced me to approach the encounter differently than just leeroy jenkins'ing it. but that's all i'll say

edit: oh, forgot the weapon question. rapier is good but you can't dual wield it since it's not "light." otherwise it's basically dagger unless you have proficiency with short swords. don't worry though, the weapon is just the vehicle that drives the sneak attack, it doesn't really matter what weapon you are using as long as it's finesse. rogues only ever get 1 attack, so that's why a lot of people dual wield daggers/short swords, just to increase their chances of actually hitting so they can sneak attack