Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the devs implied pretty heavily that the illithid have figured out how to build nautiloids again. the question is just whether or not this is a secluded event and only a (relatively) small amount have figured it out, or if the illithid as a whole have.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I assume it's an invasion from space due to Mindflayers being primarily a Spelljammer thing, and that it looks like those ships are coming in from orbit similar to how the Reapers did in ME. But, it would be very odd for them to go with such a sci-fi heavy concept as the main danger to the game.

Whatever ties in better with the 5E adventure module is most likely the best judge of what's going on.

Surely you mean the Astral Sea you fucking nerd. Space in my Toril?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It absolutely could be a Nautiloid or even a Dreadnaught, as there are still a few of them kicking around, just they can no longer be made. The illithids once controlled entire planes, but the Gith rose up and hunted them to near extinction, which is one of the reasons they ended up on the Prime Material Plane.

I am not sure why they would make such a bold play on their own, unless it also tied in with the Aboleths, because this many Illithid out in the open would absolutely draw Gith hunting parties down.

Aboleths hate the illithid though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Surely you mean the Astral Sea you fucking nerd. Space in my Toril?

I know you're kidding, but there is no shortage of it being called space throughout many official sources, and I don't recall the Astral Plane having anything to do with it, or Illithids

Rime

<Donor>
Aboleths do not hate the illithids and have worked with them when their goals align, however, they do not trust or like them very much - Aboleths have no racial memory of the illithids and given that the racial memory goes back to the birth of the Gods, then it is a big deal for them.

I meant more that the Illithids were emboldened by other stuff going down and made a move.

But this is 5th edition and they have thrown most of their old lore out the window, so who knows what it will be.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
View attachment 211281

latest

Kind of looks like a dramiel from Eve Online.

WP_20140215_006_preview_featured.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I love mindflayers I am a bit skeptical of the story they want to do where the mindflayer invasion is front and center rather than the behind the scenes stuff mindflayers tend to do.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I love mindflayers I am a bit skeptical of the story they want to do where the mindflayer invasion is front and center rather than the behind the scenes stuff mindflayers tend to do.

I always preferred when there was three or four layers to the story arch before you realized Flayers were the BAMF.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they're always late game BAMF's. So mindflayers who usually live deep in the Underdark being right in your face like this is an interesting direction. It also pulls into question the level you start at.

If you are a level 1 going into a mindflayer invasion. Might as well kiss your ass goodbye.

j00t

I know you're kidding, but there is no shortage of it being called space throughout many official sources, and I don't recall the Astral Plane having anything to do with it, or Illithids
not the astral plane, the astral sea. nautiloids allow the illithids to travel from plane to plane via the astral sea.

• 1Like

Caliane

Astral plane and Astral Sea are the same thing.
And, I think? they always were.
Astral Plane

Space.. and the Astral sea/plane were not, and at some point, did get merged.. I think. Im no historian here.
Spelljammer - Wikipedia
AD&D spelljammer has gravity, space, etc. Its space, not the astral sea..

But, by 4e, Gith, Illithids, Spelljammer, etc are all in the astral sea.
The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea (4e) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeon Masters Guild

probably directly related to this. Although, I seem to remember thinking Gith were Astral sea back in 3.5e... so. im not sure.
"Continuing the Manual of the Planes.
Shortly after the release of D&D 4e (2008), Wizards published Manual of the Planes (2008), which overviewed the new World Axis cosmology. A year later, The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos (2009) looked at the lower half of the Axis in more detail. The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea then completed 4e's trilogy of Manuals of the Planes. "

gith article leads to this.
Wildspace
Realmspace
Phlogiston

this is what "space" is now it seems.
Currently, instead of many material planes for each Setting. There is ONE material plane, and each Setting is a solar system housed inside a crystal sphere.

• 1Like

j00t

Astral plane and Astral Sea are the same thing.
And, I think? they always were.
Astral Plane

Space.. and the Astral sea/plane were not, and at some point, did get merged.. I think. Im no historian here.
Spelljammer - Wikipedia
AD&D spelljammer has gravity, space, etc. Its space, not the astral sea..

But, by 4e, Gith, Illithids, Spelljammer, etc are all in the astral sea.
The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea (4e) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeon Masters Guild

probably directly related to this. Although, I seem to remember thinking Gith were Astral sea back in 3.5e... so. im not sure.

gith article leads to this.
Wildspace
Realmspace
Phlogiston

this is what "space" is now it seems.
Currently, instead of many material planes for each Setting. There is ONE material plane, and each Setting is a solar system housed inside a crystal sphere.

wow. yeah my bad. i read astral plane and my brain entered it in as ethereal plane.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

It's a trailer made to get people hyped up, so hopefully it's not how the game is actually starting off.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I have taken the trailer to be an Illithid induced nightmare on the guy that transforms. He isn't seeing reality; he is seeing what the Illithid are projecting into his mind. Thus they have a way of showing cool Illithid ships but not committing to them being integral to the game.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I have taken the trailer to be an Illithid induced nightmare on the guy that transforms. He isn't seeing reality; he is seeing what the Illithid are projecting into his mind. Thus they have a way of showing cool Illithid ships but not committing to them being integral to the game.

This is prolly it. Larian Studios doesn't have Blizzard kind'a fuck off money, so this is prolly what we're seeing.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The state of BG3 comments at the moment:

• 9Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a ship with 35 tons of tonnage is basically a rowboat, I don't see the big deal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
installing Divinity: Original Sin.

I wonder if I'll uninstall it after 1hr like I did Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Dragon Commander, or if I'll play it all the way through like Divinity II.