Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
money definitely gets people's attention... that being said, larian's been around making games for 20+ years. they aren't a huge company but they've kept themselves alive all that time without parasitic distributors eating them alive. this vinke guy is a bit of a loony, but he also seems to be completely happy with not being told what to do.

so i don't know... i mean you're right when EA or whomever comes knocking on their door with a big fat check, it's hard to just ignore that. but we're talking about EA or activision now. it's not exactly a secret what happens to a developer when they get hold

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
BG2 is my favorite because you get the opportunity to try out all kinds of absurd classes as you can use prestige classes and the later power builds. It also goes the full gamut with crazy extra-planar jaunts, underdark, illthids, dragons, you fucking name it. I remember when I randomly walked into a tavern and ended up helping a musical troup and got sucked into a planar prison it was just... The fuck? There's all kinds of things to discover. Kangaxx the demi lich. It just had SO much stuff to discover.

BG1 is great for its simplicity and it does capture more of the, "were on an adventure" thing as you're level 1 and top out at level 6 or 7 by the end of the game. It's way more about just running into weird shit as you try to discover who killed your father and why he wants to kill you. Which has a lot of its own charm.

Same here. D&D combat didn't start getting interesting for me until 8-10th level and it's frickin awesome at 20th. Fighting demons, dragons, beholders, mind flayers is what make BG2 so great.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As long as I can tell all of my party members to fuck off and go solo for mountains of EXP I'm in.

Merrith

The trailer makes it seem like it's not just illithids invading. The flying Krakens look like a link to the Aboletic Sovereignty that was introduced in 4e as a floating city with giant aboleth of a different sort than the normal solitary ones in the Forgotten Realms you'd normally see/meet. Would be weird b/c they were supposed to have been taken care of to a degree...but maybe it was just fluff.

• 1Like

Caliane

The trailer makes it seem like it's not just illithids invading. The flying Krakens look like a link to the Aboletic Sovereignty that was introduced in 4e as a floating city with giant aboleth of a different sort than the normal solitary ones in the Forgotten Realms you'd normally see/meet. Would be weird b/c they were supposed to have been taken care of to a degree...but maybe it was just fluff.
Just a dreadnaught.
Dreadnaught.jpg

mr8uyiwhxig21.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just a dreadnaught.
Dreadnaught.jpg

mr8uyiwhxig21.jpg

vinke, the head of larian, said it was a nautiloid. specifically pointing out that illithids had lost the ability to make them and yet, there one is.

• 1Like

Merrith

Just a dreadnaught.
Dreadnaught.jpg

mr8uyiwhxig21.jpg

I'm laughing pretty hard at this. But the thing in the trailer looked more like an unfettered Kraken than this.

Monster ENCyclopedia: Kraken

In 4th Edition, the balance of power between aboleths and krakens has swung in the favour of the aboleths. Xxiphu, the floating city of the Abolethic Sovereignty terrorises the Sea of Fallen Stars. Freshly wakened from an age-long slumber, these aboleths have taken control of populations of krakens, morkoths and kuo-toa and modified them to suit their needs. Known as "unfettered" krakens, those that guard Xxiphu and serve the Sovereignty have the ability to fly and breathe air indefinitely.

Merrith

Actually watching it again I could see where that's maybe their version of a squidhead dreadnaught. Kinda odd, though. I'm going to need more than "invaders from space" that are illithids to explain that story.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I assume it's an invasion from space due to Mindflayers being primarily a Spelljammer thing, and that it looks like those ships are coming in from orbit similar to how the Reapers did in ME. But, it would be very odd for them to go with such a sci-fi heavy concept as the main danger to the game.

Whatever ties in better with the 5E adventure module is most likely the best judge of what's going on.

Caliane

yeah. There hasn't been a Spelljammer game.
Even the games that do feature Mindflayers never touch upon the space aspects.
So I like that aspect.

It is very odd to have it in Baldur's gate however, not a fresh named series.
I suppose this one is all local. Dealing with the invasion? and at the end of the game you end up with an Illithid space ship, or Githyanki space ship of your own..
And Baldur's gate 4 is 100% in space Spelljammer.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Hmm. I'm not sure if I wanna do Spelljammer really. I was actually hoping this led to Underdark stuff.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It could easily be Underdark stuff where you have to go deep into it to stop the space invasion or something. Some ultra Mindflayer is doing something down there to open a portal above Faerun to let the ships through or yada yada yada

• 1Like

Merrith

It could easily be Underdark stuff where you have to go deep into it to stop the space invasion or something. Some ultra Mindflayer is doing something down there to open a portal above Faerun to let the ships through or yada yada yada

Would seem much easier for it all to be an invasion from below from a city close/semi close to BG. I recall there being a small illithid city set up near Candlekeep somewhere for the purpose of stealing knowledge from there. It's not too far from BG.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
It absolutely could be a Nautiloid or even a Dreadnaught, as there are still a few of them kicking around, just they can no longer be made. The illithids once controlled entire planes, but the Gith rose up and hunted them to near extinction, which is one of the reasons they ended up on the Prime Material Plane.

I am not sure why they would make such a bold play on their own, unless it also tied in with the Aboleths, because this many Illithid out in the open would absolutely draw Gith hunting parties down.

Merrith

I'm just pumped this is even a thing, I don't care if they arrive in a giant Cheez-It. BG3 fuck yeah.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users