Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
GOG were selling the EE games for £4 a piece so I picked them up to start another play through. As tempting as it is to spend hours adding a dozen different mods I kept it light this time round and only used the Trilogy merge mod and Ascension (seemingly this mod changes up the ending to ToB a bit and was developed by one of the original writers). A few hours in and I am entertained - I picked up Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron and Xzar and headed down to Nashkel. Before I'd even made it through two wilderness areas Khalid and Jaheira slaughtered Montaron and Xzar mercilessly for their differing viewpoints.

Only regret is not installing Sword Coast Strategems as the AI is pretty poor and I recall this making it much more challenging on a previous effort. I'm a bit scared to install the mod over the top of the game in progress and I lose it.
I'm pretty sure you can install SCS mid-way and it'll be fine. Back up your saves ofc.

I'd also recommend not installing all the buffs to wizards letting them cast their bullshit in SCS.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The only characters who should come back as a playable character is Minsc/Boo and Edwin since they are iconic and on the lighter side. I'm sure Jim Cummings will do some voice over-work, so why not have him do Minsc too.

Caliane

vinke basically all but confirmed that minsc and boo are going to be in it in some form. there isn't a CLEAR answer how, but general consensus is that they got turned to stone at some point and then un-turned to stone sometime "recently" which would explain why they're still around 100+ years later.
Jim Zub, and IDW made DnD licensed Comics in 2014.
"Legends of Baldur's gate" #1 focused on Minsc and Boo. And yes they were set in "modern" dnd times, 100 years after Throne of Baal. I didnt read them, but I am also seeing a comment.

Never really explained, but it seems his statue in Baldur's Gate was actually him and Boo petrified, and was accidentally released by a wild mage.

Those comics are probably Canon.
Dungeons & Dragons Legends of Baldur's Gate | IDW Publishing

And while mentioning it. Fell's Five is the best DnD comic ever made.
Fell's Five | Dungeons & Dragons

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The only characters who should come back as a playable character is Minsc/Boo and Edwin since they are iconic and on the lighter side. I'm sure Jim Cummings will do some voice over-work, so why not have him do Minsc too.

Jan is a gnome so I think 100 years don't mean shit to him. He wasn't used by a lot of players I think but he constantly trolls people. He was hysterical.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Is there any word if this will be real time, pause-able combat (BG1 & BG2) vs turn-based hex-move combat (Original Sin 2)? I always preferred the faster paced combat of the Baldur's Gate series.

Man, you say that but I'm playing BG2 EE right now and forgot how fucking annoying the AI and micromanagement required in every fight can be just so that none of your characters dies. Most of the time they act so retarded that it is almost enough to quit the fucking game.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
yeah. There hasn't been a Spelljammer game.
Even the games that do feature Mindflayers never touch upon the space aspects.
So I like that aspect.

It is very odd to have it in Baldur's gate however, not a fresh named series.
I suppose this one is all local. Dealing with the invasion? and at the end of the game you end up with an Illithid space ship, or Githyanki space ship of your own..
And Baldur's gate 4 is 100% in space Spelljammer.
Young whippersnappers.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Balls-deep into BG2 and man it's incredible just how many visually interesting and varied environments they managed to cram into one game. I can't think of another game that has come close to the talent on display in it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a write-up anywhere on how they made these maps? I'm interested mostly in the design/production process that let them make them with such limited tech at the time.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Balls-deep into BG2 and man it's incredible just how many visually interesting and varied environments they managed to cram into one game. I can't think of another game that has come close to the talent on display in it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a write-up anywhere on how they made these maps? I'm interested mostly in the design/production process that let them make them with such limited tech at the time.

You're following a guide I hope!

Have any of you nerds here ever assembled the Adamantium Golem Armor? That shit was really ahead of its time as a piece of game design. It requires you to find an early item in BG1 and transfer your save over into BG2, then into the Throne of Bhaal and find an obscure NPC to give the three items to to construct it.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Have any of you nerds here ever assembled the Adamantium Golem Armor? That shit was really ahead of its time as a piece of game design. It requires you to find an early item in BG1 and transfer your save over into BG2, then into the Throne of Bhaal and find an obscure NPC to give the three items to to construct it.

Not really following a guide, but verifying I haven't missed things after I feel like I'm finished with an area, just because of how dense the game is and how things can be easily missed.

I stumbled into that Mindflayer lair people were talking about and got my shit pushed in, so I added it to a growing list of things I have to hold off to do.

Another thing I really like is how open it is, and so you can pick what you want to do. I'm 30-40 hours in and I haven't even talked to Bodhi yet or paid Gaylen yet.

My Bhaalspawn has a little harem going with Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia, & Mazzy. The catfighting between Jaheira and Aerie is pretty humourous, with Aerie shitting all over Jaheira in her timid stuttering anger.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I did. Its OK but not OP. By the time you get it you are a walking god so its hard to beat you.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not really following a guide, but verifying I haven't missed things after I feel like I'm finished with an area, just because of how dense the game is and how things can be easily missed.

I stumbled into that Mindflayer lair people were talking about and got my shit pushed in, so I added it to a growing list of things I have to hold off to do.

Another thing I really like is how open it is, and so you can pick what you want to do. I'm 30-40 hours in and I haven't even talked to Bodhi yet or paid Gaylen yet.

My Bhaalspawn has a little harem going with Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia, & Mazzy. The catfighting between Jaheira and Aerie is pretty humourous, with Aerie shitting all over Jaheira in her timid stuttering anger.

Yeah that place is full of Vampiric Illithid which I am pretty sure are designed to be the most annoying enemies possible. Mindflayer stuns and psionics AND level drain on hit.

• 1WTF

Chris

Potato del Grande

I don't think you can complete the romance with them both? I feel like vampire lady always murders your lover too so you can to leave then at home for that mission.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
@Dom did you use the age old trick of killing off the dragon early in the game?

Two things I do nearly every time I run the game is go straight for the slaver's house in Temple District and killing the red dragon.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think you can complete the romance with them both? I feel like vampire lady always murders your lover too so you can to leave then at home for that mission.

I'm not trying to romance either (Viconia is bae, and was recruited after I posted that. Will aim for alignment change) but I've been generally kind in responses to them so they kept bickering, with Aerie calling her bitchy and Jaheira calling Aerie childish etc...

@Dom did you use the age old trick of killing off the dragon early in the game?

Two things I do nearly every time I run the game is go straight for the slaver's house in Temple District and killing the red dragon.

I assume you mean Firkragg? He's still alive. I did the quest early and couldn't take him out.

As I mentioned previously, I never beat or even spent a lot of time with BG2. So this is a relatively blind playthrough despite having bought it at release. I know a bunch from watching others play it and various commentary on it throughout the years though.

Finished Spellhold today and I have my set party of Viconia, Jaheira (EEKeppered into a Kensai/Thi), Aerie, Mazzy, and Imoen, with my Berserker/Mag PC. Going to replace Mazzy with Sarevok when I hit ToB

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm not trying to romance either (Viconia is bae, and was recruited after I posted that. Will aim for alignment change) but I've been generally kind in responses to them so they kept bickering, with Aerie calling her bitchy and Jaheira calling Aerie childish etc...

I assume you mean Firkragg? He's still alive. I did the quest early and couldn't take him out.

As I mentioned previously, I never beat or even spent a lot of time with BG2. So this is a relatively blind playthrough despite having bought it at release. I know a bunch from watching others play it and various commentary on it throughout the years though.

Finished Spellhold today and I have my set party of Viconia, Jaheira (EEKeppered into a Kensai/Thi), Aerie, Mazzy, and Imoen, with my Berserker/Mag PC. Going to replace Mazzy with Sarevok when I hit ToB

Okay well there's a nondescript house in Temple District that has some good weapons in it and a tough fight with some slavers. Be sure to do it. The usual way you can take out Firkraag is by buying several Cloud Kill wands and just using them outside of his aggro range. He will eventually trigger but you can take off a lot of HP from him. Once you do that you're going to want to reconsider your party members. You'll see why.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Okay well there's a nondescript house in Temple District that has some good weapons in it and a tough fight with some slavers. Be sure to do it. The usual way you can take out Firkraag is by buying several Cloud Kill wands and just using them outside of his aggro range. He will eventually trigger but you can take off a lot of HP from him. Once you do that you're going to want to reconsider your party members. You'll see why.

I already took out the slavers and got the celestial fury. I assume you're talking about Carsomyr, which will be usable as I switched Mazzy into a Paladin. I was going to have Keldorn in the party for it, but remembered that he and Viconia can't stop from trying to kill eachother, so I dumped him when I picked her up.

I'm getting into the areas of the game I've never played in the multiple aborted runs I've done of the game, so I'm pretty stoked about experiencing more unfamiliar areas.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Most epic place for me is that forgotten temple under the city, where even the immortal people worshipping there have forgotten the name of the god.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Most epic place for me is that forgotten temple under the city, where even the immortal people worshipping there have forgotten the name of the god.

Yeah, that was a good one. The entire setup is really interesting, and shows just how damn interesting everything is in the game.

You're walking through the city when some cultist starts upsetting people by proselytizing about some strange god and you get recruited by someone to to descend down into the sewers to find out who this "Eyeless" is.

So you find their hidden base in the sewer complex and they tell you that you have to have your eyes removed to join, but they're willing to make an exception if you delve into the depths to find a part of a magical artifact that they want for their god or whatever.

So you head out to find it only to find an exiled cultist who warns you that giving them the artifact could be a world-threatening thing. This dude is sitting in what is essentially a Lich's lair that isn't even tied to this quest.

So you go deeper and start finding what is essentially ruins of a long dead civilization, fight a bunch of beholders on the way and stumble into a really strange underground temple with as you said, undying followers that can't even remember the name of their god. Turns out that since D&D gods receive their power from being worshipped, both he and the followers are stuck in this unending loop of being bound to eachother. So you gotta complete the artifact and slay the cultist's "god" in order to give these other followers enough hope to give their god enough power to end the cycle.

You do this by then using the artifact to kill the Eyeless god which turns out to be an elder Beholder in a disgusting Beholder lair.

Oh, and the sacrificed cultists are also doing this side thing down in the depths where they've turned into ghouls and they've formed their own little town complete with a mayor.

And the craziest shit about all of this is that it's just a side-quest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users