Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Finally finished my first run. Thoroughly enjoyed it and even though I thought I was doing a lot of shit, I see stuff I missed here and there all the time.

I guess I will try Starfield next since I can't refund it. Then I'll do a Phantom Liberty Cyberpunk run before my BG3 Dark Urge campaign.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
does larian do definitive editions? i think they just patch the base game till it equals a definitive edition
Yes. Both Original Sin games had Definitive editions. They always release a polished act 1, and broken end game. Patch for 9 months or so, then release a definitive edition which has more fixes and a bunch of changes to underwhelming skills or bad features.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well at 99 hours I'm finally going into Act 3 BG. One thing kicking my ass though is I guess I'm playing warlock wrong. I cannot get through a fight without whyll dead or almost dead. We're all level 9 and I'm playing a pally/fighter multi , fighter , cleric and his dead ass. Maybe I reroll him as a monk or something. Only keeping him in the group for the story line anyhow.

Well went and rerolled him as a monk, decided I didn't like the options as a monk so fuck it leave him as is (loaded save-game pre-reroll). Leave camp and he's dead?! Try to find him on the map and it's showing camp but everything was black. Not sure wtf but I replaced him with Jahera instead.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Well at 99 hours I'm finally going into Act 3 BG. One thing kicking my ass though is I guess I'm playing warlock wrong. I cannot get through a fight without whyll dead or almost dead. We're all level 9 and I'm playing a pally/fighter multi , fighter , cleric and his dead ass. Maybe I reroll him as a monk or something. Only keeping him in the group for the story line anyhow.

Are you trying to hit things with his sword ? He's much better as kind of archer, just using eldritch blast cantrip, especially if you picked up the robe of power. If you missed that one, you can probably respec him as something like paladin/lock, give him heavy armor and a shield.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yes. Both Original Sin games had Definitive editions. They always release a polished act 1, and broken end game. Patch for 9 months or so, then release a definitive edition which has more fixes and a bunch of changes to underwhelming skills or bad features.
That's partially why I've pretty much stopped playing for now. The number of bug patches, the mentions of aborted questlines in Act 3, the missing upper city... I don't want to do something, then be told it's fixed and I'll see it in my next campaign (if any).

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Started this yesterday.

Had to get some stuff done today but still have time for a 10 hour session.

I feel this is not enough.

Been a long time since I felt like that.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's partially why I've pretty much stopped playing for now. The number of bug patches, the mentions of aborted questlines in Act 3, the missing upper city... I don't want to do something, then be told it's fixed and I'll see it in my next campaign (if any).
They might add more to some of the follower quest/stories, but it's doubtful that they will add the upper city? It sounded like the upper city was firmly in the cutting room floor pile. Especially when you are already hitting max level about half way through Act 3 and increasing the level cap would be a lot more work.

Also, I think the DoS 1/2 definitive editions were something like 1+ year after release? So surely you will have forgotten about what you were doing in this current game, by then!

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
So apparently everyone wanting to bang you right out of the gate was a bug. The approval thresholds were set far lower than they meant them to be.

• 4Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

I was wondering about that - Shadowheart seemed like an outlier. You had to wait until act 3 to actually bang her. Everyone else is like "nice to meet you, let's fuck"

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
So apparently everyone wanting to bang you right out of the gate was a bug. The approval thresholds were set far lower than they meant them to be.
For you maybe. I'm a hot commodity over here

• 7Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
For you maybe. I'm a hot commodity over here
Lazel wanted to bone as soon as we camped after getting off the ship. Demon lady was hot to trot quickly, too.

Then suddenly Wyll is dancing faggaly in the moonlight and I shut that shit down, Astarion tries biting you, nope. Gale, well we all know how he rolls. It was weird because all I'm trying to do is ask them about their past and stuff, and then suddenly it's like that bug kicked in. I was honestly surprised about Gale since he was doing Mystra, but I guess he's bi or something. Even Halsin tried to make moves.

The games great, but that shit got retarded. Maybe once they patch it it'll be a noticeable difference on a second playthrough.

Goonsquad Officer
Lazel wanted to bone as soon as we camped after getting off the ship. Demon lady was hot to trot quickly, too.

Then suddenly Wyll is dancing faggaly in the moonlight and I shut that shit down, Astarion tries biting you, nope. Gale, well we all know how he rolls. It was weird because all I'm trying to do is ask them about their past and stuff, and then suddenly it's like that bug kicked in. I was honestly surprised about Gale since he was doing Mystra, but I guess he's bi or something. Even Halsin tried to make moves.

The games great, but that shit got retarded. Maybe once they patch it it'll be a noticeable difference on a second playthrough.
The moral of the story was that anyone can be gay if it gets them attention from the most important person they can find.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The moral of the story was that anyone can be gay if it gets them attention from the most important person they can find.
Yeah I guess. It's just odd because it really kind of broke the mold in a shitty way comparison to something like Mass effect for dragon age 1 and maybe two regarding this romance element in RPGs. If I'm not mistaken isn't Mass effect the first game to really do that? If not what was it I don't remember.

I've never played three but I think I bought a cheap copy for 10 bucks and need to go back and play it at some point. I hear it's supposed to be a pretty good game.

You can definitely tell they dialed it up with gay to 11 with the current climate of degeneracy. That's still a fun game and to me that's really the only flaw, well that some of the bugs in act three.

It was worth the money though, I might actually finish it this evening.

Goonsquad Officer
Yeah I guess. It's just odd because it really kind of broke the mold in a shitty way comparison to something like Mass effect for dragon age 1 and maybe two regarding this romance element in RPGs. If I'm not mistaken isn't Mass effect the first game to really do that? If not what was it I don't remember.

I've never played three but I think I bought a cheap copy for 10 bucks and need to go back and play it at some point. I hear it's supposed to be a pretty good game.

You can definitely tell they dialed it up with gay to 11 with the current climate of degeneracy. That's still a fun game and to me that's really the only flaw, well that some of the bugs in act three.

It was worth the money though, I might actually finish it this evening.
Yes. Mass effect had gays, and the asarii liara (who was just cross species sexual). But it's my understanding that they decided who could be the gay. Not everyone could.

But in modern day, errybody gay cus its a choice now!

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
In latter Act 2 still. While I'm still having fun, definitely feels like things need some difficulty tuning. In particular, the fights against
Balthazar and Z'rell
need a nerf.

I did get past the former by pickpocketing his Haste potion and shutting down his spellcasting with Wizardsbane Oil, but Cloudkill when your characters are at levels 7 or 8 is bullshit unleaded. Second fight I just bypassed entirely; really glad that the option to do so is there. In that sense (that there's basically a way around every difficult encounter if you think outside of the box), I agree with Yahtzee's critique that the game is rewarding, but I definitely see the validity of it being frustrating as all hell for those without patience.

Last edited:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
In latter Act 2 still. While I'm still having fun, definitely feels like things need some difficulty tuning. In particular, the fights against
Balthazar and Z'rell
need a nerf.

I did get past the former by pickpocketing his Haste potion and shutting down his spellcasting with Wizardsbane Oil, but Cloudkill when your characters are at levels 7 or 8 is bullshit unleaded. Second fight I just bypassed entirely; really glad that the option to do so is there. In that sense (that there's basically a way around every difficult encounter if you think outside of the box) the game is rewarding, but I definitely see the validity of it being frustrating as all hell for those without patience.
Interesting, neither really gave me problems and I was in the lvl 8-9 range. Not dogging on you at all, sometimes things are random because dice rolls, but I wonder too how wildly different some players perspectives are because they approach these games differently than a long time D&D min/maxer does. For reference, I ran both those fights with Shadowheart spec'd Tempest, Lae'zel as an Eldritch Knight, Astarion as Assassin Rogue/Gloomstalker multiclass, and my character was a Lockadin multiclass. Lockadin is dirty OP, but really just focusing on movement when needed, and picking off some key adds made those fights not easy, but very manageable.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting, neither really gave me problems and I was in the lvl 8-9 range. Not dogging on you at all, sometimes things are random because dice rolls, but I wonder too how wildly different some players perspectives are because they approach these games differently than a long time D&D min/maxer does. For reference, I ran both those fights with Shadowheart spec'd Tempest, Lae'zel as an Eldritch Knight, Astarion as Assassin Rogue/Gloomstalker multiclass, and my character was a Lockadin multiclass. Lockadin is dirty OP, but really just focusing on movement when needed, and picking off some key adds made those fights not easy, but very manageable.

Lore Bard
Shadowheart reclassed to War Cleric
Astarion as Arcane Trickster (I usually use Gale or Halsin, but I wanted to swap him in for lore/story for this part of the arc).
Karlach as Throwzerker

I have basically no previous exposure to DND 5e, so I don't really know how to rules lawyer. I feel like the game could do a bit better at explaining multiclassing, respeccing, Concentration type skills, etc., because it kind of feels like you're thrown to the wolves, especially given how a lot of your party members have suboptimal stats/subclasses. I guess I could play on Explorer, but that'd hurt my pride.

That being said, Bard totally trivializes the
Yurgir
encounter, because Bard Persuade lowers the DC needed
to trick him into killing himself
to just 21. Daily reminder to roll Bard to those that haven't!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users