Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's one spot in the Beholder Lair in the underdark where it's nearly impossible to not pull close to 10 of the fuckers, including several adult and an elder or two, all in a tight spot and pathfinding makes them route around to flank you. I got so fucking angry at that spot and had to eventually just cheese it with off-screen AOE's and running away to avoid the flanking. At least they die quickly.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I usually ran with 2 - 3 fire elementals and some air elementals or invisible stalkers hasted to scout out ahead of the party, then once they drew aggro I’d drop a few Horrid Wiltings right on top of them.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Or you could just throw a certain purchasable shield on your frontliner and never care about beholders again.

Really wish I could go back and play the bg series for the first time again without knowing the location of every op item or the fact that you can easily solo the game on hardest difficulty with tactics mods without much trouble. The original experience really was epic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Here's another website I forgot to link that I've been using. It's incredibly thorough about digging into builds, items, and figuring out "bests" Kind of annoying to navigate, but there's a lot of shit on there.

Note the navigation menu on the right

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am very early in still but dislike that the button to highlight loot/doors does not highlight interactable items on the map, so on super high rez you still have to mouse over everything to make sure the cursor doesn't change. UGH.
You can use a cheat key for this. Makes the game much myorr usable.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For people wanting a fix but not wanting to replay BG, I've read a lot of good things about this game. Supposedly really difficult. It's also on sale at the moment for next to nothing. Haven't played it myself but I figure someone might end up liking it.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've looked at it in the past, but a lot of people in the reviews are saying it's slam-your-dick-in-a-door level of difficulty.

*Fuck it. It's 3 bucks. I'll try it and report back.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I actually just played it this past week for about 5-10 hours (not sure). It’s... -ok- but too rough for me to really enjoy. Best description I can come up with is a video game version of those old choose your own adventure novels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Official games of Steve Jackson's Sorcery CYOA novels actually exist and are pretty good.

Not CRPG's though.
Age of Decadence isn’t really a CRPG either. The combat system, as far as I can tell, may as well not exist. The difficulty is such that they strongly recommend finding any solution but combat.

Don’t get me wrong, at $4 it’s worth seeing if it’s something you’d enjoy or not, but keep your expectations low.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Age of Decadence isn’t really a CRPG either. The combat system, as far as I can tell, may as well not exist. The difficulty is such that they strongly recommend finding any solution but combat.

Don’t get me wrong, at $4 it’s worth seeing if it’s something you’d enjoy or not, but keep your expectations low.
I still have two of those books. It was a set of four.

Sounds true to the books though. The combat system was warhammeresque. He basically didn't want to write "you died" so he made the dice kill you.

He included a magic system to let you avoid combat almost entirely, but you had to Marshall and conserve.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I loved the Sorcery books growing up. It was actually 4 books plus a 5th book of spells if I recall correctly. I have played the new Inkle versions. For the most part they are true to the books but they did change and add quite a bit as well. If you enjoyed those type of books growing up they still hold up pretty well.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Going to play BG1 for the first time. Making my own party sounds more fun to me, but should I instead recruit the NPCs so I see all the story content? I guess I should ask instead -- how much am I missing out on if I make my own party?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Going to play BG1 for the first time. Making my own party sounds more fun to me, but should I instead recruit the NPCs so I see all the story content? I guess I should ask instead -- how much am I missing out on if I make my own party?
I didn't know making your own party was possible, if you want that play Icewind Dale instead (same engine/developer).

Get the NPCs, it's a large part of the game. Each one has a huge sidequest. The game gives you a full party fairly early.

It's also hilarious when your party members hate each other and fight to the death in front of you, so try to not have Good and Evil characters in the same party. For example two different characters give you the same quest to find a witch, one to kill her and one to recruit her. If you bring both they fight over it.

Good luck though it's a tough game starting out, save often.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I always made my own party after the first playthought. You get more of the story playing by yourself and having the npc's come and go into your part. Once you get that out of the way the first time or two, make your own part. I did that a lot. This was before mods and such and I'd roll the perfect characters lol.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
use the existing NPCs, they complete the experience.

You can use savegame editors to change their stats/class/race/gender/everything.