Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Calling it BG3 was always going to cause some drama. But whatever. The Bhaalspawn story is gone. No need to revisit it.

I won't be upset if we get some Minsc or Jan cameos though from the old crew.

But I totally get the reason. Bank on nostalgia bucks and by being set in the same location as one of the best CRPGs ever made. Nevermind that BG2 was in Athkatla and you didn't go to Baldur's Gate at all past the first game!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
having not played DoS 1/2 , this is all wonderful as far as I'm concerned. Not sold on turn based combat... yet

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
having not played DoS 1/2 , this is all wonderful as far as I'm concerned. Not sold on turn based combat... yet

DoS 2 is definitely worth a pickup while you wait for BG2. I definitely prefer turn based to rt after having played the Divinity games. Personally, the BG reveal looked like it was going to be everything I was hoping for it to be.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
DoS 2 is definitely worth a pickup while you wait for BG2. I definitely prefer turn based to rt after having played the Divinity games. Personally, the BG reveal looked like it was going to be everything I was hoping for it to be.

I don't really have time to beat a +100 hour long game and if I try it, I might like the game and then I'm fucked free time wise because then I must finish it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Posting in the meme thread takes up a lot of time.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Meh, you can always take your time with it, spend some nights out, just come back to it when you have time. That's what I've been doing with TW3.

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
No real time with pause combat?
disappointed.gif

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 1 or 2 really hammered home how much I vastly prefer Turn-based to Real Time w/Pause. It makes more sense with the D&D system as well.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 6 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 1 or 2 really hammered home how much I vastly prefer Turn-based to Real Time w/Pause. It makes more sense with the D&D system as well.
I don't get that argument at all, how does real time makes more sense with "roll a dice to see if it succeeds" systems than turn based? It's fine to prefer it but the whole system made no sense for D&D mechanics, all the characters doing their stuff at the same time while rolling dices and not seeing results unless you pause to check the log.

• 2Like
  • 2Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
I don't get that argument at all, how does real time makes more sense with "roll a dice to see if it succeeds" systems than turn based? It's fine to prefer it but the whole system made no sense for D&D mechanics, all the characters doing their stuff at the same time while rolling dices and not seeing results unless you pause to check the log.

I am relatively sure we are arguing the same point? I dislike RTwP. I like Turn Based.

I just finished up Kingmaker recently and it was annoying with how small the text/info box was. With a party of six, most of them having 3+ actions per 'turn', it was almost impossible to figure out what was working on what. So it was just BIGGEST NUMBER GO, instead of a turn based game, where I would have direct input after each characters turn to see what was done.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am relatively sure we are arguing the same point? I dislike RTwP. I like Turn Based.

I just finished up Kingmaker recently and it was annoying with how small the text/info box was. With a party of six, most of them having 3+ actions per 'turn', it was almost impossible to figure out what was working on what. So it was just BIGGEST NUMBER GO, instead of a turn based game, where I would have direct input after each characters turn to see what was done.
I somehow read the opposite, my bad. I've seen other people make that argument so I was wondering why cause it doesn't make much sense to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i was just talking to a friend the other night about how anti-turn based a lot of developers are. i think there'd definitely a time and a place for real time w/pause, but at the end of the day, DnD/pathfinder/etc are BUILT on a turn-based system. a HUGE part of the system is the option to play things more tactically, but in a rtwp game, the only way to do that is to just hammer the spacebar, and even then everyone is still moving around all over the place. it's just too chaotic

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Saying Baldur's Gate is too chaotic or "having to mash the spacebar" is somehow preferable to having to spend 20 minutes fighting a gang of trash-mobs like kobolds, watching a time-block devoted to each single attack in some un-immersive and unrealistic "order of combat", instead of sweeping through it in 30 seconds in a realistic chaotic combat, where one has THE CHOICE of pausing as much as you feel the need to. How could you handle a real time strategy game like starcraft or even an action RPG like Diablo? Talk about button mashing there. Baldur's Gate took combined the two systems into a flexible and individualistic system.

Yes, original DnD paper uses the turn-based system, as with almost any board game was built aeons ago, no reason to not adjust the system for a modern platform such as a computer.

• 2EyeRoll
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DoS 2 is a fantastic game. I spent 150+ hours playing it, but I don't want BG to look like a mod or a re-skin. I think they can effectively alter the game mechanics to create a satisfying D&D experience, but I can't help but be extremely disappointed in the art direction.

Like others have said, Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker have the right formula. I was expecting at least that and hoping for some reasonable improvements.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
BG1 basically invented RTC for the genre, right? And BG2+expansion is the goldstandard for a rich and exciting story . So scrapping that with a guy landing on a beach, showing some below Fallout dialogue system was not that thrilling honestly, yes. We will see