Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Rime

<Donor>
Because being a victim is big bucks these days. Why pander to your usual crowd when you can pander to multiple crowds, while only hurting/scaring off a reasonable percentage of your core audience!

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Wait, how did they fuck with Minsc? Could someone tell me, please? :/

There's a special place in hell for people who fuck with Minsc!

For feels...
Right in the feels
smile.png
I love me some Minsc.

Funnily, he kinda ruins the game for me in a way - ever since I was a kid I've been meaning to play an evil party, but I can't bring myself to be an asshole to Minsc, so every time I pick him up and from then on I'm pretty restricted to good party members and walking the straight and narrow. Worth it though - I even pick up Aerie just so she can replace Dynaheir as his witch.

Fuck, time for a replay.

^ is basically what I've felt like since BioWare went full-retard. Shoving same-sex relationship stuff in my face via that gay elf coming on to me in Dragon Age:Origins, and all the similar nonsense in Mass Effect 2 has made me write off BioWare completely since then.

Let me just play games without having all sorts of abnormal shit being shoved in my face, kthx.
I don't mind the gay stuff so much, as long as it's well written and not preachy (which Bioware have been hit and miss on, but DA:O for example I don't think I even realized that dude was gay in my first playthrough - although probably because I pissed him off somehow and he tried to kill me). It's realistic - people are people, and a certain amount of people like having sex with the same gender to varying degrees. Shit's been going on forever. I've been hit on by gay dudes, I'm sure most of you here have at some point, so it's not unbelievable that my RPG character would as well (if they're going to go out of their way to make sexuality/romance a part of the game, which is another discussion alltogether). And it leaves the option for gay people to RP their character as gay if they choose - I don't see why sexuality should be particularly relevant in an epic fantasy RPG, but apparently a huge portion of the straight playerbase differ, going by the inclusion of (and obsession with) romances in these games, so why not throw in a character for the gay players?

The trans stuff is very different, because as much as the SJW crowd would like to force us to believe otherwise, we just don't know exactly what the deal is with trans people yet, different manifestations of "abnormal gender identification" have occurred across different societies, but they've always varied in how they manifest. The current manifestation we're seeing in modern Western society (with the "wrong brain/gender dysphoria" theory*, hormones and surgery treatment, etc) is completely new, there's no reason to believe it's some kind of universal human phenomenon, there's no reason to believe that the current approach is the best approach, or will be how we approach the issue in 50 or 100 years, and there's sure as fuck no reason that it would be the way people would approach the issue in a high fantasy world like FR, with fucking magic spells and items that can do all sorts of crazy shit practically lying by the side of the road.

What we currently call trans people are also, despite what SJW's claim, not really that large a portion of the population. People who enjoy sex with the same gender are common enough that you're going to find them amongst pretty much any decent size selection of the human population, people who wish they were the other gender, quite simply, are not.

I could get behind a temple to some kind of hermaphroditic deity (which have been very common across polytheistic societies) where worshipers undergo some kind of temporary or permanant gender change, or a quest to retrieve a girdle of masculinity/femininity for someone, or to help them get some potion or whatever, or helping a wizard who was experimenting and got stuck as the wrong gender, as long as it was really well written and smoothly implemented into the game and served some purpose beyond virtue signalling. But that's not what happened, because Beamdog can't write for crap.

The issue with the trans stuff is that they took a very modern manifestation of a certain phenomenon and shoe-horned it into the game where there is no way it would exist within the internal logic of the gameworld, just so they could virtue signal and fulfill a quota and all that crap. And then when people called them out on their ham-fisted writing style (and the fact that they'd imposed it onto a genre defining classic), they had the nerve to attack those people and call them *phobic*ists (feel free the borrow that, I know I'm sick of typing out all the myriad ways in which SJW's think I'm an evil person).

*which I love because it shits on 40 years of feminists claiming gender is a social construct, as an aside.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem is not the addition of gays, bi's, or transgenders in the game. The problem is defending the issue with an antagonistic stance. That goes for really any topic you can think of. Religion, sports, nationalism, politics, and gender equality. It tends to come up in those examples, because they empower and encourage their supporters/believers to spread the word that they are right/correct/the best. It is a toxic cycle that will keep repeating itself.

Congratulations on your introduction to the world stage, Amber. You presented yourself as an antagonistic cunt.

She simply cannot accept criticism. Some people are born that way (seems apt for the discussion at hand), some people turn into it through years of getting shit on. Unless she recognizes this quick and makes a new statement that brings people together instead of dividing them, her involvement in any future projects will be a toxic stink on them.

spronk

FPS noob
boogie on point as always. Assassins Creed Syndicate has a tranny character, but the sexuality is never brought up and its just more of a "wait... is that a dude or a chick?" kind of thing, and the character is cool and well written and just not something you think much about. everyone loves omar from The Wire, the gayest yet scariest hood motherfucker on TV

sadly the company is screwed no matter what, if they fire this stupid writer for being a shitty writer all the SJWs will protest them like they are the KKK, and yet by keeping her on they are basically walking away from their core audience

Caliane

boogie on point as always. Assassins Creed Syndicate has a tranny character, but the sexuality is never brought up and its just more of a "wait... is that a dude or a chick?" kind of thing, and the character is cool and well written and just not something you think much about. everyone loves omar from The Wire, the gayest yet scariest hood motherfucker on TV

sadly the company is screwed no matter what, if they fire this stupid writer for being a shitty writer all the SJWs will protest them like they are the KKK, and yet by keeping her on they are basically walking away from their core audience
nah. they can keep her on.. just have editorial/lead writer do their job and cut shit like that out.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
On steam they don't have a link to the discussion about the game any more. I guess I'm so far out of it. Like he said, who does introduce themselves as gay, transgender or whatever? OK I'm a big redneck. I just don't see it. You don't introduce yourself and in the first minute of talking to someone talk about having sex with anyone the night before. Maybe it's just me. Like I said I'm a redneck and was in a wedding where the maid of honor was a gay guy who was really long time friends with the bride. Didn't bother me, knew the guy for several years before I even knew he was gay. Who brings that up so quickly?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Because being a victim is big bucks these days. Why pander to your usual crowd when you can pander to multiple crowds, while only hurting/scaring off a reasonable percentage of your core audience!
I disagree entirely. It's bullying.

You either see it their way or you're doing something wrong. It puts even their Managers and Executives/Officers of the companies they work for at a disadvantage since it's almost impossible to prove that in court. The entire culture needs to shift so like with any other Special Interest group, we stop feeling guilty, and start realizing were doing nothing wrong, they are.

I don't know about Baldur's Gate, but 9/10 this shit isn't system wide. It's the fat girl in the office or the litigious hipster faggot everyone is scared to death of, so Fat Girl gets her cake, and Hipster Faggot gets his 10 minutes of hacky sack per day.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

It's a cold day in hell when Ubisoft did something the correct way.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So, did this 'expansion' change the base game as well? I heard they updated the UI and graphics in the base game, have any story elements been changed? I bought it while it was on sale, been forever, thought of giving it a play through..Are these idiotic story elements contained to the expansion?

I guess I'm so far out of it. Like he said, who does introduce themselves as gay, transgender or whatever? OK I'm a big redneck. I just don't see it. You don't introduce yourself and in the first minute of talking to someone talk about having sex with anyone the night before.
This is the issue I usually have with terrible writing like this. Gay characters, like any character, can be great; Omar is the epitome how homosexuality can be extremely apparent in a character and not even matter in the end, it's just 'normal' because the character is amazing and draws you in. Nine times out of ten, if I learn a character is gay, by them saying "I'm gay", the writing is fucking awful. The fact is, for most people, their sexuality is a big part of them, but it's just that--a part of them. If the biggest thing about a character is who they fuck, it is a bad character.

This goes for heterosexual characters too. Just think about how groups treat awkwardly sexually aggressive people who put their desires on display before getting to know them--this isn't about the type of sex you like, it's about how it's fucking abnormal to be introduced to someone's sexuality as part of your introduction unless it's by happen stance. Like if someone comes up and 'says "I'm---XYZ" sexuality/ thing, that's awkward as shit, it's essentially defining yourself to another person as something that should only be a singular aspect of you (And most likely an aspect the other person isn't interested in--and if they were, in many situations, that intro wouldn't be needed). But if say, you introduced yourself and then greeted your significant other with a small kiss? Not odd at all, even if it was gay--that feels fairly organic, someone saw your sexuality without feeling like it was what you were trying to define yourself as.

HUH_sl

shitlord
I'm struggling to find actual information about the game. Everything about this game is people bitching, either "SJWs are raping my memories and are ruining Baldurs' Gate" or "if you don't love the hamfisted new character you are a racist, sexist, bigot, neckbeard virgin."

Is the new UI in BG2 too?
Is the new UI even good?
Whats the level cap and how does it impact transferring characters into BG2? Are you going to end up being OP as fuck to start BG2 or do you spend 20+ hours in the new expansion and only gain 1 level?
Aside from the progressive soapboxing hows the rest of the game?

Rime

<Donor>
I'm struggling to find actual information about the game. Everything about this game is people bitching, either "SJWs are raping my memories and are ruining Baldurs' Gate" or "if you don't love the hamfisted new character you are a racist, sexist, bigot, neckbeard virgin."

Is the new UI in BG2 too?
Is the new UI even good?
Whats the level cap and how does it impact transferring characters into BG2? Are you going to end up being OP as fuck to start BG2 or do you spend 20+ hours in the new expansion and only gain 1 level?
Aside from the progressive soapboxing hows the rest of the game?
Buggy as shit. Broke multiplayer. Broke all of the old mods for BG1 and 2. Brought over a group from BG1 and two characters were stark naked. Lots of choppiness in the animations, backgrounds look... off - I put in for a refund. From what I have heard, lots of bugs/quests failing to trigger later on and they removed the ability to use the console.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I got BG1+2 EE and didn't encounter any bugs from memory. Did they fire half of the male programmers and hire women who did gender studies?

Rime

<Donor>
I got BG1+2 EE and didn't encounter any bugs from memory. Did they fire half of the male programmers and hire women who did gender studies?
SoDS is their first foray into using new assets/settings/scripting. Lots of the old BG stuff was lost as it was never properly backed up/saved, so they (supposedly) had to redo a giant amount of the code with SoDS - Which is why it took them so long.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
SoDS is their first foray into using new assets/settings/scripting. Lots of the old BG stuff was lost as it was never properly backed up/saved, so they (supposedly) had to redo a giant amount of the code with SoDS - Which is why it took them so long.
So if we don't buy SoDS, BG1/2 should work the way it used to, correct? Or was there a patch to those games even without the SoDS expansion?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I am playing this and its fun... its just more BG. I have not tried multiplayer but the rest ( maybe 1/2 way through ) has been great. Loved the events that trigger, puzzles, exploration being rewarded ( i am uncovering the whole damn map )...

Its good stuff. If you are interested in mulitiplayer however, i would wait for a patch.

Rime

<Donor>
So if we don't buy SoDS, BG1/2 should work the way it used to, correct? Or was there a patch to those games even without the SoDS expansion?
You would think so, right? Nope! They pushed out a patch with SoDS that revamps the Extended Editions of BG 1 and 2 to use their new shitty interface and coding (which is why no mods work and you can no longer do multiplayer without massive crashing constantly).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I saw people on Steam complaining that the patch which prepared the base game for the expansion introduced all of the expansion's bugs to it as well.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
For those playing - is there a way to disable the new UI options (particularly those blocky health bars) and whatever they've done to make the characters look like claymation models with a black outline? I thought they did a good job upgrading the graphics with the EE's (especially IWD, which had some amazing looking zones), so I don't understand how they could have turned it into something that looks worse than the original 1996 release.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
For those playing - is there a way to disable the new UI options (particularly those blocky health bars) and whatever they've done to make the characters look like claymation models with a black outline? I thought they did a good job upgrading the graphics with the EE's (especially IWD, which had some amazing looking zones), so I don't understand how they could have turned it into something that looks worse than the original 1996 release.
You can turn both those things off.. Game looks fine to me I mean it's still that engine .