Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if Jim Cummings wanted more than Larian was willing to pay, or is he too old to get the voice exactly the same, so it didn't matter.

With so many shows/movies under his belt, I would guess he demands some of the highest prices in voice acting.

A den of STINKING EVIL, cover your nose Boo, we will leave no crevasse UNTOUCHED.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
For those that haven't been following along, they also released the next patch today (which will also be the last major one for early access).

Paladins, with Oaths of Devotion, Ancients, and Oathbreaker
Revamped reactions
Progression to level 5, with the spells and class features that go with that
And various other odds and ends.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

For those that haven't been following along, they also released the next patch today (which will also be the last major one for early access).

Paladins, with Oaths of Devotion, Ancients, and Oathbreaker
Revamped reactions
Progression to level 5, with the spells and class features that go with that
And various other odds and ends.
Weird they are holding Monk till release. Wonder if its giving them some kind of issue.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Weird they are holding Monk till release. Wonder if its giving them some kind of issue.
More animation work? You can reuse a bunch of animations when you're doing melee combat for a paladin and a warrior/zerker or whatever, same for casting between the various casters, but monk means hand to hand combat which usually is unique animations. That'd be my guess at least.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
They're gonna trash Minsc too? god damn this is bad. if mercer had any love for the franchise he would have laughed in their face when they suggested to include Minsc.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Monk requires a lot of considerations and has been a problem within tabletop forever... games too.

Why? They have an obscene amount of high saves on shit so you can't throw much at them and expect them not to matrix dodge out of it. Secondly, and this is probably the bigger problem, monks ignore the concept of gear progression because they don't use armor or anything other than a staff or whatever weapon you may want... if you even use one at all. Makes it hard to balance stuff around it. So either monks are overtuned because they have no gear requirements or undertuned because of the progression of every other character.

• 2Like

Caliane

They're gonna trash Minsc too? god damn this is bad. if mercer had any love for the franchise he would have laughed in their face when they suggested to include Minsc.
basically. Although, zombie Minsc isn't totally new, they did that a few years ago. The comics iirc? then the mobile app, then guest starred in something else. one of the new modules iirc. Undermountain maybe? as someone stated, Minsc is alive in the current dnd timeline, having been petrified for like 200 years, and brought back so they can parade his corpse around like a skinsuit, and meme his catchphrases.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a total Minsc whore and not ashamed of it, and I will probably end up having to buy it just because they put that motherfucker in it. At first I thought they were retconning the Minsc ending in BG2, but looking at the text again there is a loophole they could stick these adventures in without fucking it up.

Caliane

checking in, it was the comics "Legends of Baldurs gate" 2014-2015. , then appeared in all sorts of tie in stuff. Neverwinter mmo, the idle game, etc.
And Baldurs gate: Descent into Avernus is the module. 2019

Thats all "canon".

Larian shit all over their OWN storyline for Divinity, and its characters. So, don't expect them to hold anything sacred. (both from Lucian, etc, to OS:2 having NOTHING to do with OS:1.)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In a world of Wizards, Undead, Magic, Resurrections, etc. it isn't too hard to come up with some storyline to explain why he is alive and well 200 years later or whatever it is. Seems like him getting turned to stone by a basilisk (thus a statue) then using a scroll of remove petrification seems pretty spot on from the teaser trailer.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not upset by the fact that Mercer is going to voice Minsc. I think he actually does a decent job of it.

That said, I have a like/hate relationship with Mercer and Critical Role. Veteran TTRPG players obviously recognize that CR is a performance and not a 'real' campaign, but over the last few years we've seen the popularity of D&D skyrocket for a variety of reasons (Critical Role, Stranger Things, Big Bang Theory, the plandemic, etc.) and a significant portion of new players that come into the game believe that D&D is really played like the performance they see on CR. I've dealt with the misconception personally. I won't lie and say I didn't enjoy some of CRs campaign 2 for what it is, but I'm not a die-hard fan. However, CR did attract a huge, die-hard crowd of mentally-ill 'theater kid' types with rainbow hair, believe women can have dicks, and have pronouns in their bios. That portion CRs fanbase is the loudest and most supportive of CR despite the fact that A LOT of those sycophants don't (and won't) play the game. The woke mob has made CR enormously successful and all the other D&D streamers are scrambling to reproduce their success, but to even have a chance to capture their share of the cult they have to continue normalize the degeneracy and pander to the cult.

In fact, I cannot think of a single D&D stream that doesn't feature 1 (or more) trans players and multiple people that are either non-binary and/or part of the LGBTQLMNOPBBQ+ group. How do individuals that comprise tiny portions of the overall population end up in every game unless the players are being curated to ensure they're "on message."

TL;DR Fuck Mercer being in BGIII because it adds more fuel to the normalization of the Leftist clownworld.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 9 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not upset by the fact that Mercer is going to voice Minsc. I think he actually does a decent job of it.

That said, I have a like/hate relationship with Mercer and Critical Role. Veteran TTRPG players obviously recognize that CR is a performance and not a 'real' campaign, but over the last few years we've seen the popularity of D&D skyrocket for a variety of reasons (Critical Role, Stranger Things, Big Bang Theory, the plandemic, etc.) and a significant portion of new players that come into the game believe that D&D is really played like the performance they see on CR. I've dealt with the misconception personally. I won't lie and say I didn't enjoy some of CRs campaign 2 for what it is, but I'm not a die-hard fan. However, CR did attract a huge, die-hard crowd of mentally-ill 'theater kids' types with rainbow hair, believe women can have dicks, and have pronouns in their bios. That portion CRs fanbase is the loudest and most supportive of CR despite the fact that A LOT of those sycophants don't (and won't) play the game. They woke mob has made CR enormously successful and all the other D&D streamers are scrambling to reproduce their success, but to even have a chance to capture their share of the cult they have to continue normalize the degeneracy and pander to the cult.

In fact, I cannot think of a single D&D stream that doesn't feature 1 (or more) trans players and multiple people that are either non-binary and/or part of the LGBTQLMNOPBBQ+ group. How do individuals that comprise tiny portions of the overall population end up in every game unless the players are being curated to ensure they're "on message."

TL;DR Fuck Mercer being in BGIII because it adds more fuel to the normalization of the Leftist clownworld.
Agree with everything youve said here for the most part. I tried watching CR and hated it. I found it cheesy and cringy as fuck. But if it gets more people into D&D then Im all for that. I thought it was pretty cool seeing young kids wearing CR shirts and such.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

It’s for entertainment. An audience isn’t going to stay tuned in very much if you just have people scribbling on paper and occasionally eating some Doritos

Sludig

Monk requires a lot of considerations and has been a problem within tabletop forever... games too.

Why? They have an obscene amount of high saves on shit so you can't throw much at them and expect them not to matrix dodge out of it. Secondly, and this is probably the bigger problem, monks ignore the concept of gear progression because they don't use armor or anything other than a staff or whatever weapon you may want... if you even use one at all. Makes it hard to balance stuff around it. So either monks are overtuned because they have no gear requirements or undertuned because of the progression of every other character.

All that, and just always been fucking gay unless you are some Dragonball z reject. Martial arts is cool by itself and against itself, but it's so out of place in high fantasy imo unless you are in some asian setting. Fantasy or not, it is jarring to believe that some almost naked dude is smacking rock golems and defeating heavily armed/armored/whatever else.

Caliane

In a world of Wizards, Undead, Magic, Resurrections, etc. it isn't too hard to come up with some storyline to explain why he is alive and well 200 years later or whatever it is. Seems like him getting turned to stone by a basilisk (thus a statue) then using a scroll of remove petrification seems pretty spot on from the teaser trailer.
its not about the fiction. its about hipsters appropriating old characters for cred, and using them as a skin corpse for fan service they didnt earn, and ruining the character in the process.

on mercer himself... I mean hes in alot of games, animation.. you can't really avoid him.. he was half assing it in Edgerunners as I noted. just doing McCree. zero attempt to make the character unique.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Surprised Minsc isn't parading around as a disabled trans dual wielding Ukraine and BLM flags with Xur/xher pronouns in it's bio at this point with larian , d&d, and Mercer...holy hell.

• 2Like