Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
What's that for?

I'm gonna listen to "Walking On The Sun" by Smash Mouth and watch American Pie and Wrestlemania 15 before I take a bus to the nearest college and back while studying the guide (like I used to study the EQ guide on bus rides to school), then play Baldur's Gate. Gonna be awesome.
(Poor) attempt at humor - all PC's were beige at the time.

I too am envious that you are experiencing these for the 1st time. Don't let the outdated graphics get you down, these are some fine ass games.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
(Poor) attempt at humor - all PC's were beige at the time.

I too am envious that you are experiencing these for the 1st time. Don't let the outdated graphics get you down, these are some fine ass games.

I can handle the graphics. I played Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall for the first time in 2014 and loved the hell out of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
I am sad I see no classic RPG love for one of the greats 8)

1678190473918.png

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 11 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nice, my super-modded BG1 install from 2019 works. Looks like I stopped playing on the Tales of the Sword Coast Ice Island right before the three mage fight. I think this was the first fight of my playthrough against multiple mages and their absolute bullshit abilities made me realize how ridiculous the game would get without knowing buffs.

I think I'm going to install this radar mod, get it to work with my version (or something) and plow through whatever content is remaining before moving to BG2. Beamdog Forums - [2.6] BG2 Radar Overlay Released!

One thing I always wonder when doing BG1->BG2 is what level to start at in BG2. I think you start at level 5-6 (with 89,000 experience), which is a total cheat since I get way higher than that in BG1 playthroughs. I usually boost myself up and fuck with the kits to an insane degree, meeting the monster's ridiculous bullshit with my own stack of ridiculous bullshit like an shonen jump finale.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nice, my super-modded BG1 install from 2019 works. Looks like I stopped playing on the Tales of the Sword Coast Ice Island right before the three mage fight. I think this was the first fight of my playthrough against multiple mages and their absolute bullshit abilities made me realize how ridiculous the game would get without knowing buffs.

I think I'm going to install this radar mod, get it to work with my version (or something) and plow through whatever content is remaining before moving to BG2. Beamdog Forums - [2.6] BG2 Radar Overlay Released!

One thing I always wonder when doing BG1->BG2 is what level to start at in BG2. I think you start at level 5-6 (with 89,000 experience), which is a total cheat since I get way higher than that in BG1 playthroughs. I usually boost myself up and fuck with the kits to an insane degree, meeting the monster's ridiculous bullshit with my own stack of ridiculous bullshit like an shonen jump finale.
How does all this protection/stripping bullshit come up in BG 1 where you top out at like level 6?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How does all this protection/stripping bullshit come up in BG 1 where you top out at like level 6?
I know, right? I'll answer that when I get this radar mod to work and fight these mages and see what kind of bullshit they come up with.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I remember playing an RPG called Gates of Macrohard that was very rudimentary, circa 1995 or so, on PC. I think I figured out how to edit the maps (or there was an editing tool) because I remember trying to turn the game into a weird Final Fantasy knockoff using .ico files I found online of character sprites. Which felt like the coolest thing in the world, I wish I could still get that excited about anything.

I also played another PC RPG that I can't remember the name of, but it had four areas/levels and the main antagonists were giants. Hill Giants were pretty much the big bad guy of area 1, then by area 4 it was either Fire Giants or Storm Giants, can't remember. Also a fairly rudimentary game but it played well, too bad I couldn't really get anywhere with it. I remember it had a bunch of shield/element resist buffs.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since we're reminiscing, the most I ever learned about computers was directly because of games like Ultima, Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc. Not only did it teach me about .bat files for shit like himem.sys, interrupts for sound cards and such, but it taught me how to deal with number systems that weren't base 10 way before I needed them in college. I'd bust out XTree Gold and use the hexadecimal viewer/editor there to cheat gold and stats into games. I'd have the trusty TI calculator to convert numbers back and forth, search for every instance of the one for gold or the string of stats, make another save with new values to see if the locations matched up, etc. Basically cheat engine before cheat engine existed, all by hand.

Man, I fucking miss those days. However, modern games have spoiled me too much. I tried to play a Wizardry remake recently, and the moment I realized I'd have to draw maps on paper like I used to do I realized I'm way too fucking lazy for that now. Yet when that's all the options I had, I had binders full of fucking hand-drawn maps. And I looked forward to making more.

Damn, now I'm getting all nostalgic. If a genie appeared and told me I could relive the entire decade of the 80s over and over, not remembering each time I restarted, I might just take that offer. Going from age 11-21 over and over, in the 80s...man, that might actually be the definition of heaven.

• 11Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Since we're reminiscing, the most I ever learned about computers was directly because of games like Ultima, Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc. Not only did it teach me about .bat files for shit like himem.sys, interrupts for sound cards and such, but it taught me how to deal with number systems that weren't base 10 way before I needed them in college. I'd bust out XTree Gold and use the hexadecimal viewer/editor there to cheat gold and stats into games. I'd have the trusty TI calculator to convert numbers back and forth, search for every instance of the one for gold or the string of stats, make another save with new values to see if the locations matched up, etc. Basically cheat engine before cheat engine existed, all by hand.

Man, I fucking miss those days. However, modern games have spoiled me too much. I tried to play a Wizardry remake recently, and the moment I realized I'd have to draw maps on paper like I used to do I realized I'm way too fucking lazy for that now. Yet when that's all the options I had, I had binders full of fucking hand-drawn maps. And I looked forward to making more.

Damn, now I'm getting all nostalgic. If a genie appeared and told me I could relive the entire decade of the 80s over and over, not remembering each time I restarted, I might just take that offer. Going from age 11-21 over and over, in the 80s...man, that might actually be the definition of heaven.

Haha love it and I loved those days too. Trying to squeeze out every bit of conventional memory you could. Making sure you used IRQ5 instead of 7 so it didn't conflict with your printer and having to set the jumper on that card but also making sure you addressed it right in autoexec.bat. A220, IRQ5. :p Good times.

Memmaker and the difference between extended and expanded in DOS. 14.4k HST/V.32/V.32bis modems all fighting for the standard so you just bought one with all three standards :p

Oh want the advanced HUD In Falcon 3.0 and are on a 486SX-33 mhz? Go find a math coprocessor.

Oh the days.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Haha love it and I loved those days too. Trying to squeeze out every bit of conventional memory you could. Making sure you used IRQ5 instead of 7 so it didn't conflict with your printer and having to set the jumper on that card but also making sure you addressed it right in autoexec.bat. A220, IRQ5. :p Good times.

Memmaker and the difference between extended and expanded in DOS. 14.4k HST/V.32/V.32bis modems all fighting for the standard so you just bought one with all three standards :p

Oh want the advanced HUD In Falcon 3.0 and are on a 486SX-33 mhz? Go find a math coprocessor.

Oh the days.

I don't know anything about all that, all I know is that you "reroute the MD-5 hash"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230307_183424.jpg

Got the first guide, BG2. When I was a kid I LOVED when guides had a beastiary.

• 16Like
Reactions: 15 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This'll get a laugh out of some people, but I like how similar BG2 is to Final Fantasy 1 in some ways. (FF1 was also based on D&D)

Casters get spell levels with charges, same as FF1, and at some point you can upgrade to a sub-class, like FF1 (except FF1 gives you one choice, this gives you 4+ usually)

Got a question though... what's the point of Sorcerers? It looks like Wizard is basically the same thing, just better at everything. Wizard has 9 subclasses and Sorcerer has 1. Most of the classes look useful and distinct, but Sorcerer seems very redundant.

I'm most interested in Wizard/Cleric/Druid, so I'll probably fill the party with those. Guessing it'd be a bad choice to make my main a caster, due to the lower HP? Might go Ranger or Paladin for main. Probably gonna start this next week since I have a lot of work to do this week, plus the BG1 guide will be here by then.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This'll get a laugh out of some people, but I like how similar BG2 is to Final Fantasy 1 in some ways. (FF1 was also based on D&D)

Casters get spell levels with charges, same as FF1, and at some point you can upgrade to a sub-class, like FF1 (except FF1 gives you one choice, this gives you 4+ usually)

Got a question though... what's the point of Sorcerers? It looks like Wizard is basically the same thing, just better at everything. Wizard has 9 subclasses and Sorcerer has 1. Most of the classes look useful and distinct, but Sorcerer seems very redundant.

I'm most interested in Wizard/Cleric/Druid, so I'll probably fill the party with those. Guessing it'd be a bad choice to make my main a caster, due to the lower HP? Might go Ranger or Paladin for main. Probably gonna start this next week since I have a lot of work to do this week, plus the BG1 guide will be here by then.
Short version: Wizard has access to more spells, sorcerer can cast spells more often but limited number of slots. Very few situations a wizard is better than a sorcerer.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

To add to what Hatrade said: Sorcerer is good, if you know what spells are good and can make sure to pick them all up. It allows for less resting, which can make a quality of life difference in dungeons.

As for what to pick, it depends on how many spoilers you want. You could look up all the party members you get, and see when you get them, to figure out what's lacking. Be aware (slight companion spoilers): In the BG games, some companions will abandon you, if you are too good or too evil (if you hit the top (19/20) or bottom (1/2) two ranks of reputation (scale of 1 to 20, with 10 being neutral)). While existing members wont outright leave before that, some wont join, or will disappear if dismissed, if reputations are bellow 5, or above 16 (which ever is opposite their alignment (1 is ebil, 20 is goody2shoes)).

My first playthrough on BG2 was with a wizard and it was fine (they also have my favorite stronghold). You start off weak, and end up OP. For BG1, the melee classes may be a bit better, since low levels favor melee. I didn't play BG1 until years later, but I think I still started as a wizard, but not 100% sure on that.

The following link goes directly to the companions, there is a column for the chapter you pick them up in. I would say this is light spoilers, since it's only a list of party members. The locations shouldn't mean anything to you, until you are actually playing the game. Just don't click the characters names, since that is obviously going to be full spoilers:

Last edited:

Caliane

wizard versus sorc has swapped around in rolls and effects in various versions of dnd.

iirc in that version of dnd. sorc was as noted, fewer spell selections, but more casts per rest. great blasters. while wizards have more options.
in pnp wizard was flat out better, due to being able to fit the situation. in crpgs with mostly just blasting, and more enemy count. more fireballs tended to be better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
To add to what Hatrade said: Sorcerer is good, if you know what spells are good and can make sure to pick them all up. It allows for less resting, which can make a quality of life difference in dungeons.

As for what to pick, it depends on how many spoilers you want. You could look up all the party members you get, and see when you get them, to figure out what's lacking. Be aware (slight companion spoilers): In the BG games, some companions will abandon you, if you are too good or too evil (if you hit the top (19/20) or bottom (1/2) two ranks of reputation (scale of 1 to 20, with 10 being neutral)). While existing members wont outright leave before that, some wont join, or will disappear if dismissed, if reputations are bellow 5, or above 16 (which ever is opposite their alignment (1 is ebil, 20 is goody2shoes)).

My first playthrough on BG2 was with a wizard and it was fine (they also have my favorite stronghold). You start off weak, and end up OP. For BG1, the melee classes may be a bit better, since low levels favor melee. I didn't play BG1 until years later, but I think I still started as a wizard, but not 100% sure on that.

The following link goes directly to the companions, there is a column for the chapter you pick them up in. I would say this is light spoilers, since it's only a list of party members. The locations shouldn't mean anything to you, until you are actually playing the game. Just don't click the characters names, since that is obviously going to be full spoilers:

So Sorcerer is better than Wizard? Huh, I didn't see that coming.

I like Minsc and the dark elf looking chick you can romance (Victoria I think, cleric). No real preferences otherwise on characters. A lot depends on how much room there is in a party. I'd like the Dwarf Berserker too, but I want to make sure I have a Cleric, Druid, and Sorcerer mainly. Ideally I'd like a Paladin main + Minsc, Victoria, a Druid and Sorcerer, and the D0rf if there's room.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So Sorcerer is better than Wizard? Huh, I didn't see that coming.

I like Minsc and the dark elf looking chick you can romance (Victoria I think, cleric). No real preferences otherwise on characters. A lot depends on how much room there is in a party. I'd like the Dwarf Berserker too, but I want to make sure I have a Cleric, Druid, and Sorcerer mainly. Ideally I'd like a Paladin main + Minsc, Victoria, a Druid and Sorcerer, and the D0rf if there's room.

Well you quoted number of subclasses as a point in the wizard column, but wizards don't really do true subclasses. Those 8 are just focuses on one spell school, and most are lackluster.

Party size is 1-6 (any number is valid).