Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never played DOS2, or 1 for that matter. Apparently I missed a huge game. Might just play it now while I wait for BG3.

I only played DOS2 recently, like less than a year ago. I thought it was really good. As in I would put it on par with Baldurs Gate 2, or games like XCom, Civ series etc. That good. Then again I don't play many games these days :)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. If you want a challenge, DON'T pick glass cannon. It's like turning on easymode. But you're the one that has to pick it.

And it's hillarious to have a full party (or however many you could get, I forget) with that "Can't stop, can't sleep, the clowns will eat me" meth-addict trait. But... it does trivialize basically the entire game. heh.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll agree that the cast of characters and their interactions, particularly in BG II, was part of what made the game so great. Two decades later I still remember how fucking cool it was to stumble across Drizzt kicking ass in some Vampire den. That and the expanded kick ass god tier combat in Throne of Baal.

Still doesn't hold a candle to Planescape Torment, but nothing ever will I don't think.

It's quite hard to make a game story as compelling as Planescape. But I love both games dearly so its okay. I don't think a story arc between the main character and a companion has ever surpassed Dak'Kon and TNO. That revelation stuns me to this day.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's quite hard to make a game story as compelling as Planescape. But I love both games dearly so its okay. I don't think a story arc between the main character and a companion has ever surpassed Dak'Kon and TNO. That revelation stuns me to this day.

IMHO nothing in my mind even comes close to Planescape. Usually when I rate my top 10 RPG's of all time, I need to do it in the context of the era it was released. For instance I would put Dungeon Master and Wizardry VI in my top ten of all time, but if I played Wizardry today as say a new release, it would obviously be underwhelming. Planescape could be a new release just today in its original form, and I'd still put it as #1 purely by virtue of its story, brilliant puzzles, and unique world. It's just that fucking good.

I still remember seeing the box at the store and almost not buying it. It had received almost no hype or marketing, the box art was blah, and I didn't know what "Planescape" was, I wanted forgotten realms or whatever. But it was D&D, didn't see anything else that caught my eye, and honestly thought I was setting myself up for some generic experience. About five hours or so later, I basically realized this was pure gaming heroin with a finite supply, and I needed to make it last and enjoy every moment of it. Probably the only game I forced limited myself in playtime to extend out the experience as long as possible, because I didn't want it to end.

Everything about it was brilliant. The character interactions that evolved each NPC's story, Dak'Kon's sword lore, fall from grace-- everything and anything that had to do with story was Epic Tier fantasy writing. There were multiple times where I just sat there gawking at the brilliance of the story-- the Dak'Kon story arc you mention, the reveal with Morte at the tower of skulls-- just fucking brilliant. Throw in the brilliant puzzles with multiple solutions, the tattoos, and the brilliant lore around every single weapon/item in the game, and it's just perfection. Probably the only game where I cried at the end with its amazing finale, staring at the screen unable to accept it was over..

So yeah, I'm a pretty big Planescape fan. Was crushed that the "sequel" sucked so bad.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lol I bought planescape the same way. I had recently finished BGII and loved it and all I knew about Planescape was that it was infinity engine, it was $10, and it was Forgotten Realms. good enough for me.

1583184225064.png

It is a much more cerebral game though and I didn't unlock all the really cool parts until my second playthrough when I understood how many more Wisdom/Intelligence checks this game has compared to Baldur's Gate. When I did tho!

And I will say Sigil is one of the most creative and insanely awesome fantasy lands ever dreamed up.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lol I bought planescape the same way. I had recently finished BGII and loved it and all I knew about Planescape was that it was infinity engine, it was $10, and it was Forgotten Realms. good enough for me.

View attachment 252032

It is a much more cerebral game though and I didn't unlock all the really cool parts until my second playthrough when I understood how many more Wisdom/Intelligence checks this game has compared to Baldur's Gate. When I did tho!

And I will say Sigil is one of the most creative and insanely awesome fantasy lands ever dreamed up.

“What can change the nature of man” still sends shivers down my spine.

All I can say is if you never played the game with the Modron NPC, that alone is worth the replay just for the banter between him and Morte. I never came across him in my initial playthrough, and only learned about him in spoilers.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You would have had to have been unbelievably autistic to find modron without help the first time through.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Yeah, I mean what does one feel defines the BG series? The paused based semi real time combat? The cast of characters? I can't think of any singular thing that defines the BG series, but personally I preferred the combat system in Divinity2 over BG. To me, the greatest flaw in the BG combat system was a lack of control over "turns". You'd give a guy an order and really couldn't plan/know when it would get executed-- frequently causing spells to be cast too late, or your guy just sitting there because the monster you told him to attack dies a second later. You could mitigate this with auto-pauses, but imho the whole thing felt slightly disconnected. Didn't have this issue in Divinity 2. My biigest gripe about Divinity 2 was they went a little overboard with environmental/spell effect interactions.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I'd say Baldur's Gate is defined as the Bhaalspawn saga following the Time of Troubles. It's the same kind of rot as we see nowdays in TV-series, movies: resurrecting and making sequels "in name only" of franchises that should remain dead, in order to cannibalize their their remains and use their good name.

Planescape truly was top tier in terms of writing, characters and setting. But they botched the combat and the general sprite art was a bad take on Baldur's Gate. What made it shine was the philosophical core of the story, and in that sense, Pillars of Eternity has Baldur's Gate beat, and is closer to Planescape.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i really don't have a problem with the title. i mean, i can understand being upset by it, but i also totally understand why they are using that name. on top of the name recognition, it IS taking place in the same area. even if bg2 didn't even go to baldur's gate, it was connected by story beats. obviously that story is done with but the setting is connected enough that i think it makes sense.

i think baldur's gate should probably be used in similar fashion to star wars as far as naming goes. that might make people less bothered by it

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

our Producer David Walgrave said recently in an interview with TechRaptor that in BG3 "there’s about 20-30% of the Original Sin engine left and we rewrote so many systems and so many things." We’ve been colloquially calling this 4.0 engine the “Baldur’s Gate Engine”, and it’s designed from the ground up for Baldur’s Gate.

We’ve built an engine that allows all 250 people at Larian collaborate to become the ultimate DM. Allowing for near-limitless reactivity, responsiveness, and a memory that never forgets who you are, or what you’ve done. No matter who you roll, dice-rolls, modifiers, and physical simulation have all been designed to simulate a D&D experience that feels as though it’s straight from the imagination, where no matter the dice roll the story will continue. It’s also a game that is intended to span the entire range of human emotion. It is in equal parts a dark and a light game. “We always want to make failure as interesting as it possibly can,” said Senior Writer Adam Smith. “We don’t put everything that’s cool and interesting behind success.”

“Light and dark are really good sources of advantage,” noted Swen in a recent GameSpot interview. The philosophies that define the rules in D&D 5e also define the narrative, where you’ll often make difficult decisions through initiative or through the roll of the dice. The Baldur’s Gate games were dark - sometimes darker than many people remember. Baldur’s Gate 3 is no exception, though in 2020 we’re able to take the gamut of emotion and experience and stretch it further due to systems, simulation, and of course also our cinematics team.

• 15Like
Reactions: 14 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
For anyone who didn't spot it, Larian did an AMA on Reddit a day or two ago. Here's a compilation of the info from it.

All classes and subclasses from the PHB will be present in the game, including multiclassing. The story will actually have ties to the previous games beyond simply being set in BG. They're working to make custom characters feel narratively more fleshed out, so they'll hopefully not feel as stripped down as D:OS2 customs could compared to origin characters. And a bunch of other stuff.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Despite this pandemic Swen tweeted today that early access is still scheduled for this year. Can't wait. They probably working from home and aspects of the game that cannot be done at home is worked on by a skeleton crew at Larian HQ.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im not sure I like the D&D ruleset for PC games. It makes them clunky with shit like sleeping and resting to reset your spells and shit. It might work well for tabletop, but I hate shit like this in PC video games. I liked the way Sin games handled that way better. With AP and turn based cool downs. I rememebr hating that about the original BG games back in the day. But well see. Im still excited for this game seeing that reveal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I love it, to this day one of my favorite games is Pool of Radiance: Myth Drannor and this series.

• 3Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Im not sure I like the D&D ruleset for PC games. It makes them clunky with shit like sleeping and resting to reset your spells and shit. It might work well for tabletop, but I hate shit like this in PC video games. I liked the way Sin games handled that way better. With AP and turn based cool downs. I rememebr hating that about the original BG games back in the day. But well see. Im still excited for this game seeing that reveal.
Was what I liked about Pillars 2 was that they made spells and such a per-fight thing.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I love it too. Just recently gotten back into D&D and then game has changed alot since I last played it. Paladins no longer need to be lawful good? Hell yeah.

Larian is going to be showing BG3 again at the Guerilla Collective in early June. Hopefully we'll get some concrete information about early access.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
cantrips make a huge difference, i think, so you're not having to rest every other fight. before, a caster who wasn't using their best spells were basically just sub-par archers, but since cantrips do pretty decent damage and scale with your level the same way a fighter's attacks do, it's okay to be judicious with your spells

• 2Like