Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Since we're reminiscing, the most I ever learned about computers was directly because of games like Ultima, Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc. Not only did it teach me about .bat files for shit like himem.sys, interrupts for sound cards and such, but it taught me how to deal with number systems that weren't base 10 way before I needed them in college. I'd bust out XTree Gold and use the hexadecimal viewer/editor there to cheat gold and stats into games. I'd have the trusty TI calculator to convert numbers back and forth, search for every instance of the one for gold or the string of stats, make another save with new values to see if the locations matched up, etc. Basically cheat engine before cheat engine existed, all by hand.

Man, I fucking miss those days. However, modern games have spoiled me too much. I tried to play a Wizardry remake recently, and the moment I realized I'd have to draw maps on paper like I used to do I realized I'm way too fucking lazy for that now. Yet when that's all the options I had, I had binders full of fucking hand-drawn maps. And I looked forward to making more.

Damn, now I'm getting all nostalgic. If a genie appeared and told me I could relive the entire decade of the 80s over and over, not remembering each time I restarted, I might just take that offer. Going from age 11-21 over and over, in the 80s...man, that might actually be the definition of heaven.

I changed the explosion size of the pipe bomb in Duke Nukem 3D to be so big it would crash the game.

Command and conquer I had grenadiers wind up and throw an Obelisk laser (but it was invisible when they did it)

Only did all this stuff after beating the game many times

Now I stay awake for more than 24 hours making "the big bux" coding

Your story touched my heart

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The most common OP melee builds involve getting exotic weapon proficiency +katana and making a beeline to getting the Celestial Fury as it is available very early through a little cheesing. As you will be able to get a +5 weapon (with proficiency) doing this in the first few hours.

That might be a good reason to go Fighter or Ranger instead of Mage. I love beelining to OP weapons, did a lot of that in Elden Ring.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The most common OP melee builds involve getting exotic weapon proficiency +katana and making a beeline to getting the Celestial Fury as it is available very early through a little cheesing. As you will be able to get a +5 weapon (with proficiency) doing this in the first few hours.

Looks like that weapon is in BG2 only so I'm still having choice paralysis on a BG1 class. Monk looks interesting now but I'm still leaning Fighter. Looks like this has both Mage and Sorcerer, thought Sorcerer wasn't until BG2. Maybe they streamlined classes too in this version?

Yeah, I have no clue what class I should pick here. Probably gonna make a big difference in overall enjoyment too so I better choose wisely.

I like how Paladin and Ranger get Cleric and Druid spells respectively at level 9. Sounds familiar...

Siege of Dragonspear and Black Pits (1+2) worth playing? If they're not crucial or are long, I'd be happy to stick to BG1+2+Bhaal.

Edit: Went with Paladin. Came down to that, Fighter, or Ranger. Decided being able to cast and heal would probably offset losing some power ground to Fighter. Then I compared Druid and Cleric spells and Cleric won. Character creation was a looooong process. Ended up going Cavalier with two proficiency points each in Two-Handed Sword and Katana. Hopefully those were good calls. Not really interested in wielding anything else besides those anyway. Hopefully Katanas aren't super rare in BG1. Str 18/83, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 17. Wish it woulda let me lower Cha a little to put more into Con, but it also says Cha is important for Paladins so maybe it's alright that the stat can't go below 17.

Wait, I can create a whole 6-person party at the character select? I probably shouldn't do that 'cause I want to recruit NPCs like Minsc, but it's also pretty tempting to just go ahead and make a party now instead of sorting it out later with NPCs. Maybe make four characters and leave two spots open?

Started this up pretty late after working for like 10 hours today, basically got through the character creation for one character and now I'm ded.

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Looks like that weapon is in BG2 only so I'm still having choice paralysis on a BG1 class. Monk looks interesting now but I'm still leaning Fighter. Looks like this has both Mage and Sorcerer, thought Sorcerer wasn't until BG2. Maybe they streamlined classes too in this version?

Yeah, I have no clue what class I should pick here. Probably gonna make a big difference in overall enjoyment too so I better choose wisely.

I like how Paladin and Ranger get Cleric and Druid spells respectively at level 9. Sounds familiar...

Siege of Dragonspear and Black Pits (1+2) worth playing? If they're not crucial or are long, I'd be happy to stick to BG1+2+Bhaal.

Edit: Went with Paladin. Came down to that, Fighter, or Ranger. Decided being able to cast and heal would probably offset losing some power ground to Fighter. Then I compared Druid and Cleric spells and Cleric won. Character creation was a looooong process. Ended up going Cavalier with two proficiency points each in Two-Handed Sword and Katana. Hopefully those were good calls. Not really interested in wielding anything else besides those anyway. Hopefully Katanas aren't super rare in BG1. Str 18/83, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 17. Wish it woulda let me lower Cha a little to put more into Con, but it also says Cha is important for Paladins so maybe it's alright that the stat can't go below 17.

Wait, I can create a whole 6-person party at the character select? I probably shouldn't do that 'cause I want to recruit NPCs like Minsc, but it's also pretty tempting to just go ahead and make a party now instead of sorting it out later with NPCs. Maybe make four characters and leave two spots open?

Started this up pretty late after working for like 10 hours today, basically got through the character creation for one character and now I'm ded.
For 1st playthrough, I say go with the premade party members. They are classic, and most are well done.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This isn't Elden Ring where the combat is the whole point and the story is an afterthought. The story and NPCs are one of the best parts of the game. Making your own party sounds like the worst choice a person could make. I didn't even think/remember that you could hire "mercenaries," as I would never consider doing that to Baulder's Gate. The early combat is designed for a smaller party so you can grow and find npcs as they make their appearance.

If you really want to change classes for your party, there are probably mods for that to keep the npc stories, but change everything else.

As for the Beamdog (studio that did the enhanced editions) additional areas, the Siege of Dragonspear isn't bad, but it is skippable, if you don't feel like playing it and instead want to move to BG2 instead. I didn't play the Black Pits, so no clue on what it's like.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This isn't Elden Ring where the combat is the whole point and the story is an afterthought. The story and NPCs are one of the best parts of the game. Making your own party sounds like the worst choice a person could make. I didn't even think/remember that you could hire "mercenaries," as I would never consider doing that to Baulder's Gate. The early combat is designed for a smaller party so you can grow and find npcs as they make their appearance.

If you really want to change classes for your party, there are probably mods for that to keep the npc stories, but change everything else.

As for the Beamdog (studio that did the enhanced editions) additional areas, the Siege of Dragonspear isn't bad, but it is skippable, if you don't feel like playing it and instead want to move to BG2 instead. I didn't play the Black Pits, so no clue on what it's like.

Characters can be rotated at the inn, right? So I'm not permanently stuck with created characters. I made a Paladin, Druid, Sorcerer, Monk, and Cleric, left a spot for Minsc. Didn't get to actually starting the game though. I could just as well do away with some characters. Only ones I super like are the Paladin (main) and the Druid. Would also like to have a Sorcerer ASAP. So maybe drop the Monk and Cleric. If I can rotate characters I'll keep these five and rotate them out as I get NPCs that can fill roles, maybe end up with 3:3 between created and NPC or 2:4.

Burns

Characters can be rotated at the inn, right? So I'm not permanently stuck with created characters. I made a Paladin, Druid, Sorcerer, Monk, and Cleric, left a spot for Minsc. Didn't get to actually starting the game though. I could just as well do away with some characters. Only ones I super like are the Paladin (main) and the Druid. Would also like to have a Sorcerer ASAP. So maybe drop the Monk and Cleric. If I can rotate characters I'll keep these five and rotate them out as I get NPCs that can fill roles, maybe end up with 3:3 between created and NPC or 2:4.
You can rotate characters, but I'm not sure there is an Inn in the first chapter. Also, you may be nerfing yourself, as the first half of chapter 1 should be designed around 4 or less characters. With a full party, you will be splitting that XP 6 ways, instead of the designed 3/4 ways. Since you picked a melee class (strong early levels), the mercenaries add little to nothing, unless you are playing on the hardest settings.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You can rotate characters, but I'm not sure there is an Inn in the first chapter. Also, you may be nerfing yourself, as chapter 1 should be designed around 4 or less characters. With a full party, you will be splitting that XP 6 ways, instead of the designed 3/4 ways. Since you picked a melee class (strong early levels), the mercenaries add little to nothing, unless you are playing on the hardest settings.

Alright, I'll drop a few of them to make room. Just Paladin and Druid and go in with that? I already headcanoned that they're banging.

I'm like 90% sure that the "Streetwise" male voice in the character creation is the same voice actor as Frank Fontaine from Bioshock. That was quite a surprise!

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I agree whole heartedly that making your own characters in these type of games especially for the first play through is criminal. There are way better games for pure combat out there. These games are about the story and character interactions.

• 2Like

Burns

Alright, I'll drop a few of them to make room. Just Paladin and Druid and go in with that? I already headcanoned that they're banging.

I'm like 90% sure that the "Streetwise" male voice in the character creation is the same voice actor as Frank Fontaine from Bioshock. That was quite a surprise!
An extra premade to play with two classes early probably wont hurt. You get a druid/fighter duel class fairly early, which should be better, and you can compare right off. I would still recommend replacing with a companion when the party gets full, but you wont have to make that call until a ways into chapter 1, and have a little experience in the game.

I always like shape shifter classes, but druids are, unfortunately, the weakest class. Druid in BG2 even gets werewolf form, with super regen, but is still a better caster than melee.

Edit: Was thinking chapter 1 was just Candlekeep (prolog type area), but it also includes some of the open world stuff as well.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
In BG2 you can get a Paladin specific 2 handed sword, that will be BiS until the end (you can upgrade it in ToB). So you made a good choice. At the start in BG1 go with a shield. Katana, I cant think of any in BG1. Longsword is King there.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Kensai/wizard dual class is the best battle mage build in BG and if you think otherwise, you are incorrect.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Someone mentioned the epic .txt guides for BG 1&2. He was talking about the Heaveron guides on GameFaqs. They are sick. Each one is something like 3-400 pages. Enjoy!

GameFAQs Community - Haeravon

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone mentioned the epic .txt guides for BG 1&2. He was talking about the Heaveron guides on GameFaqs. They are sick. Each one is something like 3-400 pages. Enjoy!

GameFAQs Community - Haeravon
I still use D_Simpson Baldur's Gate - Guide and Walkthrough - PC - By D_Simpson - GameFAQs as a guide. I just copy that into a text file and erase as I go through the content. All but guarantees you see all the content in BG1. You don't need to really read ahead or spoil everything, just review a zone before you move on or if you get stuck. Once you get to Baldur's Gate things get more varied, of course. BG2 is harder because there are ways to get locked out of stuff and some is class-specific.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

A few points:
  • I don't know what the game is like with custom party, but
    the part after Candlekeep where you're fucked in the middle of the woods with just you and your little sister and don't know what the fuck to do and there's kobolds and bears and shit and what the hell is a friendly arm inn is a critical part of the uhh, emotional context to your rise to power. It's the classic shit-tier peasant start that helps make the rest of the game satisfying. I wouldn't skip that with rolling 4 pipe-hittin' fellows to tag along until you replace them. In these games building a party is as critical as getting good gear, so rolling from the start with a top party isn't advised.
  • Some classes start off trash and end up good. Examples are monks, multi-classed characters. A fighter/mage/thief multi-class is a classic powerhouse, but in BG1 you spend most of the time being worse than either a mage or fighter or thief.
  • If you like certain characters but want to tweak their classes, you can use a savegame editor to change them. Beamdog Forums - EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4 I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough, but fuck it, if you like Edwin and want to try out a wild-mage or sorcerer, it'll probably improve your game so who cares. If you want to change Minsc to a monk, it fits just fine. I usually fuck around with changing classes, races, whatever, even to the point of making impossible combinations (Like Kensai / mage / thief multiclass in my solo run...) and never experienced game-breaking bugs. I even changed classes to get all the class-specific content in BG2, infinity engine don't give a shit.
  • I recommend just rolling with your paladin and Imoen and trying to make it to the friendly arm inn.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nah dog. The lol way to start BG1 is to kill off the candlekeep guards for their full plate armor and good weapons at level 1. For some reason they aren't super strong. Then go out into the woods.

Murderhobo is the right experience!

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nah dog. The lol way to start BG1 is to kill off the candlekeep guards for their full plate armor and good weapons at level 1. For some reason they aren't super strong. Then go out into the woods.

Murderhobo is the right experience!
The only game I've ever murderhobo'd in is Ultima Underworld and more-so than any other game it feels like the best choice. The game is so constrained because it's just a dungeon with 8 levels with no respawning (I think?) and most NPCs aren't hostile, and many of the friendly NPCs have the best gear and unique loot. The game even pushes you in that direction by having two factions of goblins in the first level that are somewhat hostile that a naive player might just cut through. Then when they get to the second level and meet a bunch of friendly but rich dwarves they're already on the path to murderhobo. When I first played it as a kid I didn't know what the fuck to do so I killed my way through the game until I couldn't beat it because I fucked up my playthrough so badly

A player that murder hobo's after doing quests will end up massively more powerful than an Avatar that respects all the friendly NPCs.