Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In DnD exotic characters (race, class, background, whatever) can be fine but everyone has also seen someone show up to the table with some mary sue sparkle princess unique snowflake bullshit whose entire reason for existing is to be special.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

yeah, I've never liked rule of cool/anything goes. it destroys any sense of immersion and identity.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone who bought D4 deserved Bobby's little jew dick shoved down their throats, expecting anything less from Blizzard in 2023 is ridiculous. Luckily the rest of the year looks pretty good for gaming. BG3 will wash that taste out with some big burly bear cock, but at least the game will be good, and then there's Armored Core 6 and Starfield right after, and by the time you're done with all of those Rogue Trader should be ready.
2023 could rank as one of the top years in RPG gaming with Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy and many more

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Meh, all I saw was turn based combat, and that was enough. The older I get the less patience I have for that shit. Devolution is real.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
+1 vote for strong racial implications in singleplayer-focused RPGs.

I don't fully understand the change they made though. There aren't that many race/class combinations that shouldn't be permitted. Maybe Tiefling + some paladin subclasses? Seems like allowing all vs disallowing really lore-breaking ones isn't a huge difference if the racial bonuses are retained. Those racial bonuses seem fairly modest, to the point where it'd be easy to create a gnome barbarian with substantial strength.

From a realism standpoint, even a Dragonkin bard could work. Who is ready for some mongolian throat singing from a dragon?

Are there any lore-breaking class/race combos that might be S or even A rank?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I for one am looking forward to Shadowheart 'artistic' cosplays by filthy thots

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
+1 vote for strong racial implications in singleplayer-focused RPGs.

I don't fully understand the change they made though. There aren't that many race/class combinations that shouldn't be permitted. Maybe Tiefling + some paladin subclasses? Seems like allowing all vs disallowing really lore-breaking ones isn't a huge difference if the racial bonuses are retained. Those racial bonuses seem fairly modest, to the point where it'd be easy to create a gnome barbarian with substantial strength.

From a realism standpoint, even a Dragonkin bard could work. Who is ready for some mongolian throat singing from a dragon?

Are there any lore-breaking class/race combos that might be S or even A rank?
You could already make any class/race combo. It just might not have the most optimal stats. Now they've removed the ability to make a meaningful race choice. It's purely aesthetics. Mega dumb. I'm actually fucking around with a gnome barb in the EA. It's fine. Especially since it seems(?) that the heavy weapons penalty doesn't appear to hitting the gnome. You get stat boosts anyway, and working around deficits via items makes items a lot less interesting if everyone is going in with optimal stats to start with.

• 3Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Only the stats got changed to a +2 to a stat, and a +1 to a different stat. Any other race bonus is still in the game, tied to race. Like Dark Elves have darkvision, Dragonkin blow fire, and half-orcs don't die the first time they hit 0hp, for the day.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Only the stats got changed to a +2 to a stat, and a +1 to a different stat. Any other race bonus is still in the game, tied to race. Like Dark Elves have darkvision, Dragonkin blow fire, and half-orcs don't die the first time they hit 0hp, for the day.

That's racist

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
reminder that the steam version will give you a free upgrade to digital deluxe if you buy before release on August 2nd 2023, after that you just get the regular edition

FpuL_AMWIAIdgQJ.jpg

steam deck compatible, 80 gig install. i bought today, almost done with FF16 and while i enjoy the story the RPG/combat/tactical aspects of that game are pretty weak so BG3 seems like a good game to play next, especially if I can play it on my deck while i'm on vacation in Sept

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They may be giving humans and half elves something extra, due to the change, but yea, that list should still be correct for everything but stats (I posted the stat changes at the same time as your post, above).
Again, sorry to be thick but what were the racial stats (roughly) before the change? The current racial stats seem pretty nominal for an RPG with different races.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Dats racist! Don't they know it's just social economic differences between the races?

• 3Worf

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Again, sorry to be thick but what were the racial stats (roughly) before the change? The current racial stats seem pretty nominal for an RPG with different races.
The wiki you linked is what they USED to be.

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
2023 could rank as one of the top years in RPG gaming with Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy and many more
Where is Starfield I do not believe anything Bethesda says. And now that they are owned by Microsoft, do two lies make a truth? No, no they do not.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
steam deck compatible, 80 gig install. i bought today, almost done with FF16 and while i enjoy the story the RPG/combat/tactical aspects of that game are pretty weak so BG3 seems like a good game to play next, especially if I can play it on my deck while i'm on vacation in Sept

I wanted to get this for steamdeck but was holding off since the official controller support wont come till launch and iv heard the community controller layouts right now are kinda janky. Have you tried playing this on steamdeck yet?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the page you linked has the old stats additions. If you look at high elf, the old way would give them +2 dex +1 int as a racial. Now you get to choose what stat gets +2, and what stat gets +1.

Again, the races still get all the other bonuses locked to them. On the BG3 Wiki, High Elves still get: Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Longsword Proficiency, Shortsword Proficiency, Longbow Proficiency, Shortbow Proficiency, and 1 High Elf Cantrip.

I thought I have seen you post in a DnD or the Pathfinder game thread, but just in case you are not familiar with it:
All stats start at 10 with 27 points to use to increase those to a max of 15. The more you increase the stat, the more it costs. You can also "dump" stats that are irrelevant to the class down to 7 to get more points to increase the stats you want. What the "racial" stat additions allow, is the ability to increase one stat to 17, and a second stat to 16 (if you want), instead of the cap of 15.

Point distribution for a wizard w/o racial stats:
STR: 8
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 15
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

Point distribution for a High Elf wizard before the change (current PnP):
STR: 8
DEX: 16 <-- 2 points forced here
CON: 14
INT: 16 <--- 1 point forced here