Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
again, this post is made in total ignorance, I haven't read anything about 5e or bg3 classes. I'm planning on rolling Kensai and not looking back.
Kensai were deigned OP and eliminated in 5e.

977e3c65238bbb0efb7a0917af2d0e9495699515.png

More in depth run down:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. A lot of times PCs get PC-only buffs that scale better with +DPS and +Tanking and are wasted on fixed abilities, powerful or no. This was true in BG2 when you get Tears of Bhaal and get a bunch of stat buffs, along with other rando stat buffs that would be foolish to waste on companions without knowing what happens to them.

With being able to respec companions, bards being strong overall is a good reason to have one in your party even if you chose a PC class that scales with stats or whatever other boons the game throws at you.

again, this post is made in total ignorance, I haven't read anything about 5e or bg3 classes. I'm planning on rolling Kensai and not looking back.
I don't think the Kensai Sword Saint class is a thing in BG3 Tucbro.

Aazrael

Is this game its own story or is it connected to 1 and 2?

I think I played BG1 when it was released but dont think I managed to finish it. All I remember was the npc saying "the squeky wheel gets the grease" or something like that. :p

Dont think I ever played BG2 but maybe I'll get the enhanced versions one day.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

More in depth run down:

Kensai is one of those strange classes. In all my time playing tabletop they are almost always pursued by the most faggoty powergaming losers. But the build is so easily identifiable they will usually get killed off by the DM long before they hit their power spike.

But they really shine in CRPG where you can make them. Because in a CRPG like BG2 you know EXACTLY where the best weapons you need for the build are to make it work.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I don't think the Kensai Sword Saint class is a thing in BG3 Tucbro.
We'll fucking see when I play the game. I don't care about what a wiki says.

But seriously I'm thinking about rolling berserker wild mage or whatever. I liked the wild magic in BG but felt like some of the potential rolls were too harmful to actually use (especially the gold loss one).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You go big dick wild magic and take the punches. Wild mage berserker sounds like a ton of fun and I am seriously considering it.

Save scumming every single "negative" interaction you have in the game just totally kills the vibe for me. Can't do it. But autists save scum on every single locked door they fail at and everything that doesn't go exactly the way they want.

Not the way to roll amigos.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Sigh. This is going to be like 2e as a kid, where I spent easily 10x the time theorycrafting as I did actually playing. I'll be lucky if I make it out of character creation.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Is this game its own story or is it connected to 1 and 2?

I think I played BG1 when it was released but dont think I managed to finish it. All I remember was the npc saying "the squeky wheel gets the grease" or something like that. :p

Dont think I ever played BG2 but maybe I'll get the enhanced versions one day.

This video will get you up to speed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol what a bunch of whiny faggots

meanwhile in WotR I can run around with an 11-20 crit range and x7 multiplier and nobody cares.

Kensai is one of those strange classes. In all my time playing tabletop they are almost always pursued by the most faggoty powergaming losers. But the build is so easily identifiable they will usually get killed off by the DM long before they hit their power spike.

But they really shine in CRPG where you can make them. Because in a CRPG like BG2 you know EXACTLY where the best weapons you need for the build are to make it work.

Weaponmasters were only ever good in CRPGs in my experience because by the time their build starts to really come online is also right about when casters start to completely eclipse melee.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

More in depth run down:

What's the "NEW" denoting here? New to the BG3 EA, as of the time this was published? Are some of those sub-classes creations specifically for BG3? Like the Wizard shit is obviously core 5e stuff, but I've never heard of "Spores" Druid or "Wild Magic" Berserker. But then, I've been out of the loop on DnD for a couple of years now.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
What's the "NEW" denoting here? New to the BG3 EA, as of the time this was published? Are some of those sub-classes creations specifically for BG3? Like the Wizard shit is obviously core 5e stuff, but I've never heard of "Spores" Druid or "Wild Magic" Berserker. But then, I've been out of the loop on DnD for a couple of years now.
They're just the subclasses that aren't in the EA, but will be in the launch version.

As for Spores and Wild Magic. In the core book, with the exception of Cleric and Wizard, all classes have either two or three subclasses. For the classes that only have two core subclasses, Larian grabbed a third subclass from the supplements to flesh them out a little more.

Burns

New to the game on release vs. what's in the EA. There are a few homebrew too (I think).

Can read about the PnP version, like Spore Druid on these 2 sites:

Burns

Xanathar's Guide to Everything brought kensai back but def. nothing like the one in BG2
Is that book new, or just not used very much? Neither of the sites I linked above have it listed, but obviously didn't check the huge, more difficult to navigate, official wiki.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Xanathar's Guide to Everything brought kensai back but def. nothing like the one in BG2
Kensai Wizard dual class in BG2 where you could time stop into a critting everything in the room to the point of almost instant gibbing them was really an amazing CRPG experience.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think champions are the most crit based class in BG3, not sure they do much else other than big numbers though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Is that book new, or just not used very much? Neither of the sites I linked above have it listed, but obviously didn't check the huge, more difficult to navigate, official wiki.
Newish. As far as monk goes I would 100% go with way of the hand, push people 15 feet off ledges and into walls and shit is going to be good times. Especially if you sneak up on them first.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
You go big dick wild magic and take the punches. Wild mage berserker sounds like a ton of fun and I am seriously considering it.

Save scumming every single "negative" interaction you have in the game just totally kills the vibe for me. Can't do it. But autists save scum on every single locked door they fail at and everything that doesn't go exactly the way they want.

Not the way to roll amigos.

Wild magic is fun. I tried some with a wild mage sorcerer. I summoned an extra enemy right on top of me one time, the once I think it gave a group buff where it refreshed some spell slots, once I think... it lit a torch on the wall? It's very random. Nice thing though is that on dice rolls you can select wild mage to gain a boon (or maybe a reroll, I forget). It charges up so that the next spell will activate wild mage.

As to dice rolls, you can reload as you say, but you can't reload in the middle of a dialogue. When dice roll checks are present in dialogue (which they are more than not), there are usually several in a row. So the first time you might succeed in in the first two, fail third. Reload, do three and fail fourth. There are a LOT of dice rolls.

Nice thing though is that when playing, you get "inspirations" from random events. Example - in the first "dungeon" you find a rare book, you manage to open it and Gale will get a wizard inspiration. It gives some exp (usually 25) and an inspiration point. You can save up to 3 or 4 inspiration points and if you fail a dice roll, you can use one to reroll. You get inspiration points from many events, like a crit kill on a certain enemy might trigger it for a warrior and so on.

With that combined with all the different ways you can add modifiers to your dice, you don't need to save scum that much even if you were inclined. That said, class and stats do absolutely make a difference there. At least in the early stages of the EA a warrior will have a harder time with dice rolls than a sorc or bard.

With so much dice rolling in dialogue and the myriad of ways things can end, a charisma based main is very tempting. As in the video shown earlier on from Fextralife, they said something along the lines of "you don't want these to do the talking" about some classes. When I play, I am going to run around with my character. I don't want to have to select a different party member to do the talking because my class will have a much harder time with dice rolls.

I was planning to go wild mage sorc, but bard also looks very tempting. Especially the STR bard since that might also increase the carry limit, because running around as a sorc, I got encumbered and had to do inventory management more than I liked. If you're a loot hoarder, a few swords and some armor will leave you stationary. The way Pathfinder did that was great, tie weight limit to the total ability of the party and not individual. Only time I want to swap out and move someone else than my character is for combat setup or puzzles and the likes.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Save scumming
Nice thing though is that when playing, you get "inspirations" from random events. Example - in the first "dungeon" you find a rare book, you manage to open it and Gale will get a wizard inspiration. It gives some exp (usually 25) and an inspiration point. You can save up to 3 or 4 inspiration points and if you fail a dice roll, you can use one to reroll. You get inspiration points from many events, like a crit kill on a certain enemy might trigger it for a warrior and so on.
I look forward to finishing the game with a billion inspiration points saved and having failed many dice rolls.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users