Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Caliane

does the bg3 alpha let you see the world map? how does it function? thats one major complaint on owlcats world maps, no one likes them.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
does the bg3 alpha let you see the world map? how does it function? thats one major complaint on owlcats world maps, no one likes them.
Here is the in game overmap with the chapter 1 POI on the map, in the east. Each chapter moves you west, toward Baldur's Gate. I don't remember if you can quick travel in EA.

Can zoom it a bit:
marc-moureau-bg3-early-access.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The more I look at this the more confused I get , I have a lot of time to kill/fill so I'll just roll a few chars and go with it. I want something that doesn't get charmed a lot (fuck a mind flayer) and can do some dps dmg either spells/sword/bow. I am looking forward to playing this though, it's been on my radar since it was announced and I loved their other series.

Been really really hard owning this and not playing the EA part at all.....but it's almost time!

Anyone heard when the final game will pre-load , or if it will even pre-load?
Probably won't preload, since it would brick the EA build. They'd have to set a cutoff date that EA stops working, and you know some people will cry about that too, and maybe even request refunds, so they'll likely just wait until release. The only way it has been done in the past is if the EA/Demo and the release are two separate entries on the Steam list, and I haven't seen any indication of that happening. Could be wrong and they do it 5 minutes after I post this, but no word has come down about it that I'm aware of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably won't preload, since it would brick the EA build. They'd have to set a cutoff date that EA stops working, and you know some people will cry about that too, and maybe even request refunds, so they'll likely just wait until release. The only way it has been done in the past is if the EA/Demo and the release are two separate entries on the Steam list, and I haven't seen any indication of that happening. Could be wrong and they do it 5 minutes after I post this, but no word has come down about it that I'm aware of.

They already said its a completely new client, but they weren't sure when it'd be available for preload.

Burns

They already said its a completely new client, but they weren't sure when it'd be available for preload.
(Other than what Void said) There was some discussion on this on the Steam forum. The most plausible thing I read was that Steam is not set up to preload EA games, so they would need to put the EA into a beta branch. Then you can download the release client as a preload, but locking the "preload" until release time would probably lock the "beta" branch too.

Steam may need to do some client changes to make that happen, and I'm not sure even a huge game like this can get them to spend time on it. On the other hand, I guess when the EA was released, it crashed Steam for some amount of time, so it may be in their best interest to try to make a workaround.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
(Other than what Void said) There was some discussion on this on the Steam forum. The most plausible thing I read was that Steam is not set up to preload EA games, so they would need to put the EA into a beta branch. Then you can download the release client as a preload, but locking the "preload" until release time would probably lock the "beta" branch too.

Steam may need to do some client changes to make that happen, and I'm not sure even a huge game like this can get them to spend time on it. On the other hand, I guess when the EA was released, it crashed Steam for some amount of time, so it may be in their best interest to try to make a workaround.

Ya not sure what's gonna happen, the director said the same in the interview with Cohh and that he would try and figure it out with Steam. He also said they were launching during NA daytime because Steam asked them too so they can support the launch better since it's a really big game client and a lot of people will be playing, otherwise they would've launched daytime EU time apparently.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The more I look at this the more confused I get , I have a lot of time to kill/fill so I'll just roll a few chars and go with it. I want something that doesn't get charmed a lot (fuck a mind flayer) and can do some dps dmg either spells/sword/bow. I am looking forward to playing this though, it's been on my radar since it was announced and I loved their other series.

Been really really hard owning this and not playing the EA part at all.....but it's almost time!

Anyone heard when the final game will pre-load , or if it will even pre-load?
I'm also in the play on release with no alpha experience. Also going in cold not really looking at anything. Every shitpost i make in this thread before the august 13th or whenever release date is pure ignorance.

I like to go in fresh!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn I just started early access and wondering if I’m just bad? Just entered a tomb and there’s an enemy party all higher level than me , keep getting whooped

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Damn I just started early access and wondering if I’m just bad? Just entered a tomb and there’s an enemy party all higher level than me , keep getting whooped
line of sight is your friend. also use cc/enviromental effects.

• 1Like

yerm

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Here is the in game overmap with the chapter 1 POI on the map, in the east. Each chapter moves you west, toward Baldur's Gate. I don't remember if you can quick travel in EA.

Can zoom it a bit:
marc-moureau-bg3-early-access.jpg
That is a very pretty map.

• 2Like

Araxen

This video makes Bards look like they are gods. They are so versatile on what they can do.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I always have a problem making my PC be a support character. I want my dude to be kicking ass and taking names. Not buffing NPCs.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I always have a problem making my PC be a support character. I want my dude to be kicking ass and taking names. Not buffing NPCs.
Yeah. A lot of times PCs get PC-only buffs that scale better with +DPS and +Tanking and are wasted on fixed abilities, powerful or no. This was true in BG2 when you get Tears of Bhaal and get a bunch of stat buffs, along with other rando stat buffs that would be foolish to waste on companions without knowing what happens to them.

With being able to respec companions, bards being strong overall is a good reason to have one in your party even if you chose a PC class that scales with stats or whatever other boons the game throws at you.

again, this post is made in total ignorance, I haven't read anything about 5e or bg3 classes. I'm planning on rolling Kensai and not looking back.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got back from the bourbon trail last night thinking this released fully today - my disappointment is immeasurable.....

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Worf