Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everyone knows the difference between MBps and Mbps right? I would assume so on here but you never know.
100 megabits p/s download should be able to get 6 megabytes p/s down. $200/month for a 100 down with a 500GB cap is very expensive.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Are you on a house boat in lake superior? How thirsty are you for starlink internet?

I'm north of DFW now, had to move back last year. I'm about 2 blocks from the local ISP but they refuse to run it any further even though tons of people out here want it. I heard they finally are running it in, but if it isn't here by the end of the year I'm moving out.

It's the only option in the area currently (4G LTE), no other option exists out of the ones I tested unless you want to pay the same amount for 800kb/s down. We even tried out Starlink and we couldn't get over a 1mb/s and it was spotty.

All the 5g shit is less than a block away but the radios only give signal for 500' and they haven't expanded any since I've been here.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Couldn't imagine going back to something other than fiber. Gigabit/s for $70 with no cap here in TN.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm north of DFW now, had to move back last year. I'm about 2 blocks from the local ISP but they refuse to run it any further even though tons of people out here want it. I heard they finally are running it in, but if it isn't here by the end of the year I'm moving out.

It's the only option in the area currently (4G LTE), no other option exists out of the ones I tested unless you want to pay the same amount for 800kb/s down. We even tried out Starlink and we couldn't get over a 1mb/s and it was spotty.

All the 5g shit is less than a block away but the radios only give signal for 500' and they haven't expanded any since I've been here.
There is no microwave option, like Nextlink? They have a 100 down package, if you have a new-ish tower in line of sight.

If you are just out of range of a 5G tower, you may be able to get a booster to pull the signal in. I don't remember what it was, when looking at the internet options out here, but I remember seeing some kind of equipment to get 5g, when it's normally close, but just out of range.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There is no microwave option, like Nextlink? They have a 100 down package, if you have a new-ish tower in line of sight.

If you are just out of range of a 5G tower, you may be able to get a booster to pull the signal in. I don't remember what it was, when looking at the internet options out here, but I remember seeing some kind of equipment to get 5g, when it's normally close, but just out of range.

I do a thorough search almost every time I pay my bill and I've called alot of companies. Either no signal or bad signal here.

Word is they are running in internet on the back of the property soon but nothing solid yet, where they are running it in is about 1k feet from me, so I don't have high hopes.

• 1Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Evil cox at least has options :( Think I pay 120 a month or something for 1 Gbps when its all said and done with a 1 TB cap. Occasionally run over but usually is just 10-30 dollars more in overages.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
my-body-is-ready-emma-stone.gif

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Wow i didn

My man Heko is over here in the Lllano Estacado thinking, "Where the hell is the fiber?"

x1080

Sucks that Starlink isn't ready for you yet. They're yeeting up satellites all the time, here's to hoping it gets better soon!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

frontier just installed fiber around these parts this spring/summer.
I ordered a swap.... but, somethings wrong with the install. guy came, ran line, left.. haven't heard back. waited a week. called up support. "oh, weird, we'll send someone out tomorrow" nothing.

I was using local cable. PAYING for 1000mbps down, 100 up. $120/m. (stupidly paying for modem.) what I am actually getting is 100Mbps down, 10 up.
frontier is supposed to be 1g up and down, for $70/m. no caps.

Caliane

I definitely prefer singleplayer games that can be cheesed over games that risk inconveniencing players with ways to stop cheese.
Needs a balance. especially in a game with this base design philosophy. Ultima base design philosophy was one of immersion. it resulted in underworld and the birth of immersive sims. That concept was core to TES, and then divinity:OS as well. that immersion is why we get worlds full of items, shopkeeper inventories which can be shop lifted, the ability to pick up barrels, and distract shopkeepers, or make shotgun barrels out of them. so adding these immersive systems are great, SO you can be creative like that. but it can of course go the other way too.. putting baskets on shopkeepers heads and blinding them.. abusing in and out of combat time separation to fight. using the systems to break immersion is just as bad. The correct solution is then of course to add another level as needed, or balance. shopkeepers should react to the baskets being placed on them in skyrim. and need hearing. in/out of combat shenangians should be fixed by putting the entire party into initiative like in tabletop.
restrictions and challenge generate fun. thinking outside of the box to use systems, is also fun. but then also often eliminates any challenge. telekinis and barrel abuse in divinity. so tis fun for about 5min, then just boring, as the same solution solves every problem over and over.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm so ready for this.

Home computer and steam is on, remote desktop enabled to make sure I can start the download if it doesn't start automatically.

I'm playing with 2 friends, so I'm sure one of them will not have it downloaded by tonight so it most likely will have to wait tomorrow to start our campaign.

This is going to be fun, hopefully this time around, my friend doesn't sacrifice the entire party(myself included) to become a god like he did in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Needs a balance. especially in a game with this base design philosophy. Ultima base design philosophy was one of immersion. it resulted in underworld and the birth of immersive sims. That concept was core to TES, and then divinity:OS as well. that immersion is why we get worlds full of items, shopkeeper inventories which can be shop lifted, the ability to pick up barrels, and distract shopkeepers, or make shotgun barrels out of them. so adding these immersive systems are great, SO you can be creative like that. but it can of course go the other way too.. putting baskets on shopkeepers heads and blinding them.. abusing in and out of combat time separation to fight. using the systems to break immersion is just as bad. The correct solution is then of course to add another level as needed, or balance. shopkeepers should react to the baskets being placed on them in skyrim. and need hearing. in/out of combat shenangians should be fixed by putting the entire party into initiative like in tabletop.
restrictions and challenge generate fun. thinking outside of the box to use systems, is also fun. but then also often eliminates any challenge. telekinis and barrel abuse in divinity. so tis fun for about 5min, then just boring, as the same solution solves every problem over and over.
There's a balance for sure. But for CRPGs I'm definitely on the extreme side of the bell curve of permissibility. If you're ambitiously trying to create a DND game, there should and will always be new abuses for players to use, and it's their responsibility to act as the DM and put a stop to it if it's not fun. If someone wants to spend their time creating claymore bombs, let them. If they say the game's combat is boring because they found this weird mechanic that stopped being fun, fuck em.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Home computer and steam is on, remote desktop enabled to make sure I can start the download if it doesn't start automatically..
You can also do this if you have the steam app on your phone.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You can also do this if you have the steam app on your phone.
Yeah but the home PC needs to be on for it to start when you trigger the DL. Steam can't turn the PC on or wake it up from sleep as I recall.

• 1Like