Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This question could mean a couple things, and people's answers are a bit different.

First, like ronne said, there is a message that pops up saying that things will change, every time you transition to a new act, so if you ran through the Act 1 Underdark all the way until you got the message that moving on will change things, then the act 1 Underdark is done (if you didn't clear all the Act 1 Underdark, then things may have changed when you moved to the mountain pass). The act 2 "Underdark" is named something different, but is still in the Underdark, and you should be able to access it from the act 2 topside map, if the boat in act 1 doesn't work for some reason. Dunno how it changes the story you experience, if you enter the Act 2 "Underdark" area from the top.

Same applies to the mountain pass, as Grabbit said, you can access it from the act 2 side, if you took the Underdark boat to transition from act 1 to act 2.

Act 2 areas that I know of (multi-part spoiler, in order of how you find them): Underdark pt.2, Mountan Pass, the Valley of Moonrise Tower, and a Tomb (dont want to spoil anything more about it).
thanks. basically what i'm asking... i'm only interested in going the route of the mountain path specifically to get to the gith creche. so i'm assuming that i should go through the underdark and into the cursed lands into act 2, and then circling my way back to the gith creche

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Many reasons to give these guys kudo's but one of the things I am most impressed about is their business intelligence they are gathering and effetely communicating to the player base. The post on steam today was awesome, for those in the business realm and understand the nuances of crafting an organic story utilizing analytics can appreciate these type of posts can really be a hot mess. They knocked it out of the park in their delivery and great to see they build in mechanisms to capture and understand player behavior etc.

Blizzard fucking who? I'm not much of a brand loyalist but one of the few companies i will say 100% they have earned my purchase on their next game regardless of what it is. I've probably said that 3 times in my 37 years of gaming. (Granted the bar was abit lower when I said that after Disgaea 1! )

Would give $100 blindly if they replicated basic approach to this game just removing the D&D layer and replace with abit more integrated and natural feeling class combat/gear/skills etc. Dragon Age 4 here we come !?!?/
Have you played Divinity Original Sin 1&2? It’s what you’re describing but you can get them both for $60 bundled together and probably $20-30 when they’re on sale. They obviously didn’t have the funding they had for BG3 so the cinematics aren’t there and there isn’t a billion endings but they’re more of this BG3 style game without the dnd layer if that’s what you want.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
thanks. basically what i'm asking... i'm only interested in going the route of the mountain path specifically to get to the gith creche. so i'm assuming that i should go through the underdark and into the cursed lands into act 2, and then circling my way back to the gith creche
That's how I went into chapter 2. Be aware, you will need to spend some time doing things before you can reach the mountain pass from the chapter 2 side. If you really want to test it out, you can get the fast travel mark to chapter 2 Underdark, then port back to chapter 1, and take the mountain pass. I would assume it would work that way, but no clue what all changes when transitioning chapters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Have you played Divinity Original Sin 1&2? It’s what you’re describing but you can get them both for $60 bundled together and probably $20-30 when they’re on sale. They obviously didn’t have the funding they had for BG3 so the cinematics aren’t there and there isn’t a billion endings but they’re more of this BG3 style game without the dnd layer if that’s what you want.
Thanks, yes played DOS2 excessively and enjoyed. A DOS3 with the same production quality and overall story elements of BG3 would seem like a no brainer since B3 expanded the develop's footprint even further in the market and DOS2 had a large cult following in its own right. Would like to see something with more indepth chacter development/choices (mass skill tree's, passives etc ...like give me ARPG level theory crafting on builds and options) combined with a mix of DOS2 and B3 elements and i'm tickled pink.

DOS1 never really did much for me for some reason.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
What they're likely to do is to ride the D&D train until exhaustion. I mean, they were innovative in DOS, with the rain (so, therefore it would be wet) and the lightning hitting everybody standing in the rain. I think the guys over WotC saw this, and were just like, "Uhhhh, this.... Yes, more of this..."

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL!

I found the 'fast ending' early in Act 2 when I pissed off Lae'Zel's patron and she Wished me out of existence.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
What they're likely to do is to ride the D&D train until exhaustion. I mean, they were innovative in DOS, with the rain (so, therefore it would be wet) and the lightning hitting everybody standing in the rain. I think the guys over WotC saw this, and were just like, "Uhhhh, this.... Yes, more of this..."

If anyone in charge at WotC has any sense, they are probably already sending over the blank cheque with 'keep doing stuff for us' written on it.

I'm actually impressed at how well everything worked - giving a huge pile of cash to a beloved but relatively indie dev doesn't have a great track record of success in the past, and would probably have been seen as a pretty risky move. A lot safer to just charge developers for license fees and then write them off as not your problem.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am at 75 hours in and just getting into act 2. I did the Creche stuff already, got the legendary mace and about to enter shadowed lands.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah 3070, sorry typo. Anyways all my shit is good, up to date and its this one fucking game that crashes like once every 1-2 hours. Because of this Im like F5ing everywhere because I got burned a few times not saving or forgetting to. Sometimes BSOD which I cant remember the last game that caused a BSOD, lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thanks, yes played DOS2 excessively and enjoyed. A DOS3 with the same production quality and overall story elements of BG3 would seem like a no brainer since B3 expanded the develop's footprint even further in the market and DOS2 had a large cult following in its own right. Would like to see something with more indepth chacter development/choices (mass skill tree's, passives etc ...like give me ARPG level theory crafting on builds and options) combined with a mix of DOS2 and B3 elements and i'm tickled pink.

DOS1 never really did much for me for some reason.
Funny because for some reson I enjoyed DOS1 more than DOS2, but opinions are like assholes, right? I really like the whole CD and AP system in these types of games more than the DnD BS with resting and all that. It just ruins the continuity. You get in a tough fight, and lets face it, there is a LOT of tough fights in these games, you spend all of your shit and now have to rest before moving forward. It was the same downer in the Pathfinder games too. I get it, the build variety, all the nuance of the DnD systems which have been modified, added to over the last 30 yrs. But they jsut dont fit in video games IMO without modifying them, which im sure they had to in this game even.

And even shit like rolling on picking locks and all that BS, yeah its great for like the first 5 times but just gets old. And lets face it, prob most people jsut save scum rigth through that gambling BS anyways. I know I do. Especially game changing shit like conversations with people..etc... One bad dice rool away from being friend or foe with entire clans of people.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

j00t

Funny because for some reson I enjoyed DOS1 more than DOS2, but opinions are like assholes, right? I really like the whole CD and AP system in these types of games more than the DnD BS with resting and all that. It just ruins the continuity. You get in a tough fight, and lets face it, there is a LOT of tough fights in these games, you spend all of your shit and now have to rest before moving forward. It was the same downer in the Pathfinder games too. I get it, the build variety, all the nuance of the DnD systems which have been modified, added to over the last 30 yrs. But they jsut dont fit in video games IMO without modifying them, which im sure they had to in this game even.

And even shit like rolling on picking locks and all that BS, yeah its great for like the first 5 times but just gets old. And lets face it, prob most people jsut save scum rigth through that gambling BS anyways. I know I do. Especially game changing shit like conversations with people..etc... One bad dice rool away from being friend or foe with entire clans of people.
the counter point to this, is that there have been several dnd games that have tried to "video game" the abilities and they ALWAYS just come across as too gamey. i don't mind the rest system, but i do appreciate that without a dm to sort of manage the use of short and long rests it just comes across as artificially breaking up encounters

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can you pickpocket some OP shit?
You can pickpocket everything that a vendor sells, and there are generally at least 1 or 2 higher level items on vendors (there is a very high probability of getting caught on those items though). Unless you are going to save scum 100 times to get those high gold items, the best things to pick up safely are potions and specialty arrows (which get refreshed every time you rest).

They may have hidden stuff on random NPCs in Baldur's Gate or some such, but it can be difficult to sneak in crowded areas.

P.S. You can use Cloud and Darkness spells to make everyone blind to your pickpocketing, w/o turning them aggressive...unless you fail the actual pickpocket roll.

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
LOL!

I found the 'fast ending' early in Act 2 when I pissed off Lae'Zel's patron and she Wished me out of existence.
Decided to give the game a try, pretty fun better than most of the games I’ve put stock into lately.

Lore wise, I don’t get why the Geth are so high and mighty as if they’re dark elves, has no one mentioned how ugly and weak they look? They’ve to be one of the ugliest and simultaneously soft looking fantasy races, can’t take them seriously. Especially a 110lb straw weight weilding a 2 handed claymore, with a little tiny nub of a nose that would result in her face getting caved in, in the first melee scuffle…but yeah sure magic, whatever. The fact that female orcs look both less ugly, and more combat worthy…wtf lol

Of course dark elf lore in D&D doesn’t make any sense either, but they actually look like an aesthetically refined, intelligent race

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
P.S. You can use Cloud and Darkness spells to make everyone blind to your pickpocketing, w/o turning them aggressive...unless you fail the actual pickpocket roll.
Minor illusion or having a cat meow can draw away everyone but your mark in a lot of places too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Decided to give the game a try, pretty fun better than most of the games I’ve put stock into lately.

Lore wise, I don’t get why the Geth are so high and mighty as if they’re dark elves, has no one mentioned how ugly and weak they look? They’ve to be one of the ugliest and simultaneously soft looking fantasy races, can’t take them seriously. Especially a 110lb straw weight weilding a 2 handed claymore, with a little tiny nub of a nose that would result in her face getting caved in, in the first melee scuffle…but yeah sure magic, whatever. The fact that female orcs look both less ugly, and more combat worthy…wtf lol

Of course dark elf lore in D&D doesn’t make any sense either, but they actually look like an aesthetically refined, intelligent race

The Gith have a ultra disciplined warrior society (think like Sparta) that's also mega xenophobic. They really, really, really hate mind flayers due to being enslaved by them for centuries. Everyone else is just slightly more tolerable.

j00t

The Gith have a ultra disciplined warrior society (think like Sparta) that's also mega xenophobic. They really, really, really hate mind flayers due to being enslaved by them for centuries. Everyone else is just slightly more tolerable.
It's not even that everyone else is slightly more tolerable, it's that everyone else are just in the way of eradicating mind flayers. Their sole purpose is the complete and utter destruction of all things illithid, everything else is inconsequential including the life and death of everything else.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
e67btroycjhb1.png

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, the amount of things in this game that you keep discovering, by just doing things slightly differently or in a slightly different order in a second playthrough...

I just discovered if you keep the owlbear egg from Act 1, instead of selling it/eating it for supplies, you can trade it to the crazy lady who wants the gith egg. Given the gith in act 3 kills all the members, it'll be fascinating to see what the owlbear does!

• 2Like