Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well that blows. My guys doing all right, but upgrades and gear progression just seem to be so limited. I can see why that pair of gloves though would be towards the end of the game because they're pretty awesome, but what the hell is the point of having them if you can't have fun with them.

You could get them nearly instantly in act3 if you know where they are (you have to kill raphael, but it would be super fucking hard at level 9-10

Gear in general in act3 really starts to ramp up to crazy levels though. I've got a shield on Shadowheart that adds resistance to all physical damage on anyone she heals and i'm pretty sure it trivializes every fight in the game on its own.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Guess another question, I'm assuming the outer ring on the brain parasite powers unlock later in the game via the campaign where you can access them?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone played a frenzy barb or vengeance paladin can tell me which is better as for survivability and damage output?
for damage, vengeance pallies will probably do more if you include their oath skills, hunter's mark and smite damage, but those use up resources. frenzy barb will probably do more consistently high damage as long as you have enough rages to last the day.

survivability wise, it's basically six one hand, half a dozen the other. paladins get lay on hands and spell slots for heals (but that cuts into their smites) so they can heal the damage they take, and will also have higher armor so they get hit less often. barbs take half physical damage if they are raging and have a higher hit dice (paladins get are d10 hp, barbs are d12) so they'll have more health. BUT they should also be reckless attacking pretty often so enemies are encouraged to attack them instead of other characters.

so paladins will get hit less for more damage, barbs will get hit more for less damage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question about act 2.

In act 2, how long do you have to carry this stupid lantern around?

Maul

Dental Dammer
Fucking Hag was kicking my ass after that slog getting through all the poison shit, so on the next attempt I just thought fuck it and kicked her off the platform into the chasm with Karlach, doesn't drop anything good does she? lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fucking Hag was kicking my ass after that slog getting through all the poison shit, so on the next attempt I just thought fuck it and kicked her off the platform into the chasm with Karlach, doesn't drop anything good does she? lol

Spoiler that shit nerd and find out next playthrough!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much the whole chapter, but that's what you get for being a evil pixxie slaver!

Ah, I should of let her go then? I didn't know if I would then have to carry a torch around instead. Man that blows. Oh nvm guess I didn't screw up too bad, I could inspect it seems and let her out. I did not want to carry that shit around. And she gave me a buff to not suffer from the shadow stuff. I really should just google this crap before I choose.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
for damage, vengeance pallies will probably do more if you include their oath skills, hunter's mark and smite damage, but those use up resources. frenzy barb will probably do more consistently high damage as long as you have enough rages to last the day.

survivability wise, it's basically six one hand, half a dozen the other. paladins get lay on hands and spell slots for heals (but that cuts into their smites) so they can heal the damage they take, and will also have higher armor so they get hit less often. barbs take half physical damage if they are raging and have a higher hit dice (paladins get are d10 hp, barbs are d12) so they'll have more health. BUT they should also be reckless attacking pretty often so enemies are encouraged to attack them instead of other characters.

so paladins will get hit less for more damage, barbs will get hit more for less damage.
Okay good info so let me ask you this. As for armor will medium armor on barbs mess up their rage or should I just go armorless?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ah, I should of let her go then? I didn't know if I would then have to carry a torch around instead. Man that blows. Oh nvm guess I didn't screw up too bad, I could inspect it seems and let her out. I did not want to carry that shit around. And she gave me a buff to not suffer from the shadow stuff. I really should just google this crap before I choose.
I was trying to play the old lawful good path, so had to let the pixie go. It was a nice bonus that it gave a buff, instead of needing to continually cast sunlight spell on an item. She also gives you an item to click the buff on with (looks like a silver sphere). There was some cellar type area where I zoned into and the buff was, all of a sudden, gone, and the whole party died before I even realized what the problem was.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Somewhere in act one there's a doorway where i cast grease and set it on fire. Now for the rest of the game my combat log looks like this, even in combat. I've looked and so far can't find that damn door to put the fire out.
1691867531327.png

• 15Worf
Reactions: 14 users

Talos

How's that working out for you?
Yeah I'm playing a bard now actually, but I think Swords Bard 6 / GOO Warlock 5 / Wizard 1 and using a bound 2H weapon is going to be the best damage by far while still keeping the bard flavor as much as possible. What are you getting out of dual wielding without thief and/or berserker levels to supplement it?

Edit: If a 2d6 weapon ends up being my best option, it'll be tempting to dump the wizard level for fighter instead, since bards can't take great weapon style.
Well, I think I'm still early in act 1 but so far it's working out fine. I just hit level 4 last night.

He can sneak around and lockpick stuff while also being the face. In combat I keep him in the front with Karlach. Once he's at the front then I don't need the bonus action for anything other than the occasional shove or bardic inspiration. I took the dual wielder feat so he can use rapiers in both hands. He's also a half-orc so Savage Attacks and Relentless Endurance help.

I will just respec later if it stops working out with this setup.

edit: extra attack at level 6 should help too.

Last edited:

j00t

Okay good info so let me ask you this. As for armor will medium armor on barbs mess up their rage or should I just go armorless?
it looks like in bg3 only heavy armor has any kind of affect on barbarian stuff, outside of unarmored defense which requires no armor. so you should be able to wear medium armor and still get all the rage and movement benefits

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ran into my first annoying bug. Killed a buncha meenlocks and they are chain fearing me after they’re dead. Party can’t move

• 1Worf

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
My main character is a Berserker Barbarian, so up until now (early Act 2), I mostly kept Karlach on the sidelines.

I felt bad about this, so when I got around to tackling her personal questline I also respecced her as an Oath of Vengeance Paladin. It kind of fit her backstory, plus I would finally have someone who could use all the nice heavy armor I found.

Hot damn. Should've done that days ago. She's running neck-and-neck with my main character for damage, just crushing enemies and smiting her way into my heart. I'm thinking of swapping out Astarion and bringing in Lae'zel for even more raw damage; I figure my barb can fumble his way through any traps and locks with some of the items I have, and Shadowheart can heal up any serious mistakes.

With this party composition and the accompanying romances, I'm turning Baldur's Gate 3 into some sort of Japanese anime harem comedy starring Conan the Barbarian.

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Tried various types of classes and builds and decided to go as paladin as my main. Probably go vengeance or maybe devotion. Still bouncing between the two. I will keep shadowbae as a cleric for heals and buffs. Use Gale as ranged dps and counter spells and respec Astarion to a bard for utility and dps? Any suggestion on party composition.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not really - pretty much "feed to Gale" trash. All the good loot is in the room you can access after you beat her.
I'd say her hair is the single most important piece of 'loot' in Act 1. At the very least it's unique and completely irreplaceable.

• 1Like

Talos

Well I guess this build might not work out lol
My party got destroyed in about 3 turns.

act 1
lvl 5 spider matriarch under the blighted village

• 1Solidarity