Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So another good gaming company is about to slow death because of their success, lol.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well From has resisted it due to the parent company. Some big buyers like Microsoft will come around with a fat check eventually.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I just want to say that it is very very rare that I play anything and in the first Act already know I will immediately be playing a second run through before I touch any other game.
Yeah, I normally don't replay these games because they take so much time, but I already fired up a second campaign doing dark urge Paladin, and finished the tutorial. Probably flip flop back and forth as I finish acts. It really is a fun game.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pretty decent video talking about this issue with the industry.

Enjoy it while you can boys. This will be a classic up there with the likes of BG1 and 2. BG4 will be something completely corpo infested. I honestly can't believe how well they pulled this off, considering my love for the first 2 games.

I played the living fuck out of 1 and 2 with my two best buddies in the world at the ages of like 15-19. BG1 is in my Top 10 and BG2 is probably my 2nd favorite game ever. BG3 has been fun as hell but it has honestly been pretty tough for me to play due to those memories. 1 of those homies sadly shot himself 7 years ago now due to depression/mental issues and the other hasn't gamed since probably 2017 or so, due to wife, kid, work, etc.

So, while the game is great, I'm not gonna lie that playing it gets me in the feels pretty goddamn hard. What a bitch I am. Getting old sucks.

• 10Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 14 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well From has resisted it due to the parent company. Some big buyers like Microsoft will come around with a fat check eventually.
Pretty sure Microsoft tried to buy them already and they said no because they didn’t want to lose control and go the corporate route. Which, if making games is your passion no one should sell their studio to a giant corporation. It devastated every studio that does it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
There has to be a point where morally you are making millions and are creatively fulfilled, and you don't need to sell out for hundreds of millions but have a corporate overlord.

All these people who sold out end up leaving the parent company and setting up depressing failed game studios to recapture their former glory.

I just don't get this greed towards getting ever more money to buy a yacht instead of having some sort of great legacy in your industry.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There has to be a point where morally you are making millions and are creatively fulfilled, and you don't need to sell out for hundreds of millions but have a corporate overlord.

All these people who sold out end up leaving the parent company and setting up depressing failed game studios to recapture their former glory.

I just don't get this greed towards getting ever more money to buy a yacht instead of having some sort of great legacy in your industry.
The problem is that even if you have a guy in charge who "won't sell" - money talks, people age/get replaced, and as you get on in life, "one last payday" doesn't sound so bad.

Your family is going to care a hell of a lot more about all those houses they could buy instead of internet neckbeards freaking out when they see their name mentioned on an "in memoriam" YouTube video 30 years from now.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
There is a lot of underdark area in act 1. There is an elevator far in, and when you click on it, you get a message warning that using it will progress the story. That leads to act 2.

However, in the mountain pass, you get the same message, but it isn't "act 2", there is a path in the mountain pass which leads to
shadowlands
that is act 2. But you can complete all of mountain pass and still not get the act 1 achievement.

I started act 2, then heard that mountain pass was basically act 1.5, so reloaded before going up elevator and did mountain pass, then went back to elevator in underdark (did not use the exit on mountain pass). I can confirm that everything I did in in act 2 before mountain pass and when I reloaded and did it again was the same, so doing mountain pass didn't start any timers or change anything. Going there lets you resolve quests, lots of story + awesome mace, so I'd recommend doing it before moving on to act 2.

I had done all quests I could, including underdark before I went to the mountain pass. Since you get the warning message when entering I guess it could change some things in act 1 if you go there before doing everything.
My plan is to finish the first part of the underdark and grymforge then go to the mountain pass. If I'm understanding correctly, that's what you're suggesting.

• 2Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Haven't gotten anywhere near end of Act I because we're autistic and keep restarting/rerolling trying to find the closest port possible to our 5e/CE mains and testing all available encounter cheesing. Kitbashed repeatedly at Lvl 4/Feat unlock, landed on double wild/beserk barb/warlock as having the most meat grinder potential. Dark urge full villian no takebacks, fun as fuck

asdq02e4234.jpg

• 3Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ending is pretty flaccid - really feels empty compared the rest of the game up until that point. Lot of threads that don't really tie up at all or aren't even mentioned, and there's no epilogue of the aftermath or anything at all.

Strongly suspect their decision to launch ahead of Starfield came at the cost of a more refined ending. It's lame enough to cement the game firmly as like a 7-8/10 rather than an actual 10.

• 1OK, Sure
  • 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean I don't expect something profound. BG2 was a stereotypical DND campaign.

Be forced to run away from home for some reasons. Go on adventures. Meet weird characters who are good or bad. Slowly uncover the big bad. Become more powerful. Go on more quests and do more weird shit. Go cool places. Confront big bad. Run off into the sunset with the boys.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ending is pretty flaccid - really feels empty compared the rest of the game up until that point. Lot of threads that don't really tie up at all or aren't even mentioned, and there's no epilogue of the aftermath or anything at all.

Strongly suspect their decision to launch ahead of Starfield came at the cost of a more refined ending. It's lame enough to cement the game firmly as like a 7-8/10 rather than an actual 10.
Do you think you just got a bad ending? Aren't there supposed to be quite a few? If not, that's disappointing, but I guess it's the journey, yadda yadda...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I was reading an article that there is probably no plans for an expansion for BG3 which makes really sad. I’m loving this game. The article said the reason being that it may be impossible to balance the game at higher levels. The higher level spells are really powerful like Power Word Kill, Foresight and Wish. I can’t even imagine how in the hell they would incorporate Wish into the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was reading an article that there is probably no plans for an expansion for BG3 which makes really sad. I’m loving this game. The article said the reason being that it may be impossible to balance the game at higher levels. The higher level spells are really powerful like Power Word Kill, Foresight and Wish. I can’t even imagine how in the hell they would incorporate Wish into the game.
they would have to use it narratively or just use it to copy any other spell. casting wish to copy a spell is the safest route anyway, since using it ANY other way can cause you to lose the spell permanently as well as basically get rez sickness

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean BG2 had all that shit. Why is balance so important?

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
PWK is limited by hp if I recall correctly, and spells like foresight and wish you could just alter their functionality to fit the game. Or just remove the big problems.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Your family is going to care a hell of a lot more about all those houses they could buy instead of internet neckbeards freaking out when they see their name mentioned on an "in memoriam" YouTube video 30 years from now.

People are fucking stupid if they "don't get" why someone would want to be so rich they can live a luxuriously for the rest of their lives without ever working again when they could be slaving away to make a few more games for neckbeards who are going to bitch anyways

• 2Like
  • 1Worf