Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it straight up breaks the game. if you multiclass a monk thief you can get like 8 attacks per round. rogues in bg3 also got the shaft because they are supposed to be able to sneak attack when they make opportunity attacks, so it's common for rogues to pick up sentinel. my swashbuckler (favorite rogue subclass) irl is running around with a 15' range magic whip, and while it's absolutely not rules as written or probably even intended, my DM specifically told me that i was allowed to use booming blade with a whip. i play him as some combination of scorpion and trevor belmont from the castlevania anime just swinging around a meteor hammer. with a 15' melee range he's just obliterating fools. the whip does 1d6 slashing, 1d6 necrotic +charisma, sneak attack is 5d6, and then booming blade is 2d8 thunder, and then another 3d8 thunder if the target moves. and then with sentinel and such a large melee range, there's a pretty big chance of doing all that again on not my turn (minus booming blade, it'll be a while till i pick up warcaster).

rogues are really good in 5e, just not so great in bg3

edit: once i get lvl 9 swashbuckler, i'm PROBABLY going to put a bunch of levels in warlock so i can start adding eldritch smites to all that damage as well.
this reminds me, i don't remember seeing the eldritch smite invocation for warlocks, is it in the game?

Goonsquad Officer
My favorate rogue in pathfinder is sap master. Double backstabbing dice with subdued weapons haha

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whoever said this game might be a top 3 all time contender is definitely right. I'm just throwing myself into the story and every little turn I take is another scenario, another story, some more lore to discover or mystery to solve. And they always feel fleshed out and worth it.

House of Healing Act 2

Ended up convincing the guy he must lead by example... Lolllll wtf is this game. This games stories and scenarios are just insane.
He ends up killing the guy on the table, getting on it himself and having his nurses stab him to death.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whoever said this game might be a top 3 all time contender is definitely right. I'm just throwing myself into the story and every little turn I take is another scenario, another story, some more lore to discover or mystery to solve. And they always feel fleshed out and worth it.

House of Healing Act 2

Ended up convincing the guy he must lead by example... Lolllll wtf is this game. This games stories and scenarios are just insane.
He ends up killing the guy on the table, getting on it himself and having his nurses stab him to death.
In my playthrough, I convinced him to have his nurses kill themselves, because they needed more practice. Then, on his next dialogue check, I rolled a perfect 20 and he jabbed the knife into his own eye and fell over dead. lol

The amount of different ways this game can play out is astounding.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
1692747606976.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
I have an act 3 'near the end' question!

I don't know when i can use the orphic hammer but...is it possible to smash orpheus free before talking to ansur? I kind of assumed you'd have to kill the emperor when you did but...i don't actually know when it happens. if so, can one change the volotile nature of the situation with ansur? or is the orphic hammer employed so late in the plot that you cannot have changed gears?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Where the fuck did he get all those barrels from, holy shit.
There's a lot of them if you look around. All you gotta do is click 'send to camp' every time you find one and they will be there lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I have an act 3 'near the end' question!

I don't know when i can use the orphic hammer but...is it possible to smash orpheus free before talking to ansur? I kind of assumed you'd have to kill the emperor when you did but...i don't actually know when it happens. if so, can one change the volotile nature of the situation with ansur? or is the orphic hammer employed so late in the plot that you cannot have changed gears?

Nope. The next time you visit the Astral Plane is after you've gone beyond the point of no return to confront the Elder Brain and the first time you visit it is before act 3. So it is not possible to free Orpheus until pretty much the very end of the game when you can no longer do any other content

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4e is the most hated edition by a mile. It’s based on fucking MMO’s for gods sake.

5e is fantastic and has revived D&D.
100% agree on 4e, but 5e is too simple.

3/3.5e had way too much going on, but I really feel that the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with 5e. I'm a forever-DM and, of the numerous issues with 5e, one of my biggest complaints is that the vast majority of the official monsters are incredibly boring. Huge swathes of WotCs monsters are only differentiated by their AC, HP, their damage type, and minor variations in damage totals. Those differences aren't going to be noticed much, if at all. If monsters didn't have their own art and names, players wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them half the time.

Here's a simple thought-experiment that you can do even if you don't own any 5e bestiaries:

Google a half a dozen monsters stat blocks, read through them, and then think about how those monsters would play out in a battle. After doing that, how often do you think that the information presented in the stat block is going to translate into something interesting or memorable for the players and their experience at the table? Not a lot. In fact, unless the DM is one of the guys that heavily narrates every round of combat, your players aren't going to notice the subtle differences. Even Dragons have been neutered in 5e where they're basically giant bags of hit points with a breath weapon. In previous editions dragons were extremely intimidating because they also had quite few other abilities on top of being amazing spellcasters.

Also, official monsters are not even remotely dangerous enough. I literally cannot remember a session where I have not buffed every creature the players encountered. I get that 5e is a more narrative driven system, but if the players never feel challenged or worry about the possibility of death, the game gets stale fast.

I don't play Pathfinder, but I own all the bestiaries and the monsters are objectively better in every way so I just convert them to 5e. I also convert D&D 3/3.5 creatures because they too are objectively better.

P.S. I think Pathfinder 2e is a much better system than 5e, but 30+ years of playing D&D has made it surprisingly difficult for me to switch systems. I know D&D. I know it well enough to make rule changes without breaking things. I'm also extremely familiar with a lot of the lore of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, etc. I know almost nothing about Golarian and definitely don't understand the rules well enough to start changing things.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pathfinder is way bigger about straight killing off characters than DND is. That was my biggest hurdle in getting used to it.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had to restart, went with rogue this time. Still in act 1 but I had fun sniping the goblins one by one, basically soloed the entire camp. Tons of mobility. Game definitely rewards trying to use the environment to your advantage, luring enemies towards an ambush etc.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Really loving this game.

Really loving my slow but methodical pace. For example I haven't touched it for like 3 days now, since I haven't had time to sit down. One of the better games I've played in quite a long time.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users