Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I'm hesitant to buy this game despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews because I bought Divinity Sin 2 based on it also being overwhelmingly positive. I did not enjoy that game at all. I guess I don't care so much for story as much as I do good gameplay. Divinity was boring as hell to me, I bought it on Switch because I was hoping to use it as entertainment traveling. I think that control system was overly clunky but I felt like I spent so much time just reading text and trying to figure out where to go and there was almost no action. I didn't give it a fair shot, I was just immediately turned off after a few hours.

I love turn-based games though, one of my favorites of all time would be persona 5. Is this game closer to divinity sin or maybe more dragon age (I also enjoyed most of those games)?
Reminded me a lot of Dragon Age Origins, but DAO is arguably not turn based, where as this is. After you get the hang of the mechanics of this game, it becomes pretty trivial even on Tactician, but that hasn’t stopped me from mini/maxing, first game I’ve put a lot of time into in-spite of all the characters basically being degens

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Reminded me a lot of Dragon Age Origins, but DAO is arguably not turn based, where as this is. After you get the hang of the mechanics of this game, it becomes pretty trivial even on Tactician, but that hasn’t stopped me from mini/maxing, first game I’ve put a lot of time into in-spite of all the characters basically being degens
This is almost exactly my experience. My friends wanted me to try it because it's, "exactly like d+d" or whatever. It's fine I guess, the fights rarely require any PoA. I got bored enough that i just started doing the Leroy Jenkins thing and we still beat almost every fight first try even if we were out of spells etc and on hard mode. There's tons of plot lines and quests and it looks good. If you want animated gay sex it's there (hetero sex is far harder though). The strongest part is the character classes and their abilities. I could argue it's also a weak point but you get the idea.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Finally finished this game. I took it nice and slow and enjoyed it a lot.

I think I'll do one more play through.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
If you haven’t glitched an unkillable child that doesn’t take turn’s into your party, with a flaming sword, have you even really played the game?

IMG_3387.png

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can't speak to Dragon Age, but given Larian created D:OS 1 & 2 this plays more like 1, in only that you have resist checks for debuffs instead of 2 where you had armor & non-armor which once expired left you vuln to everything of that type. Everything else is in the same realm, 4 companions (but no lone wolf perk), environment can be abused like crazy if you want to, barrels are plentiful etc.

All 3 games (to me) had a shit ton of reading if you wanted to do so, but was largely unnecessary. If you disliked 2 but liked 1, you might like this, probably won't.
Maybe try Dark Envoy instead? It’s closer to dragon age. Or the pathfinder or pillars of eternity games, although those have a lot of story.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm hesitant to buy this game despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews because I bought Divinity Sin 2 based on it also being overwhelmingly positive. I did not enjoy that game at all. I guess I don't care so much for story as much as I do good gameplay. Divinity was boring as hell to me, I bought it on Switch because I was hoping to use it as entertainment traveling. I think that control system was overly clunky but I felt like I spent so much time just reading text and trying to figure out where to go and there was almost no action. I didn't give it a fair shot, I was just immediately turned off after a few hours.

I love turn-based games though, one of my favorites of all time would be persona 5. Is this game closer to divinity sin or maybe more dragon age (I also enjoyed most of those games)?
If you didn't like DoS II and highly skeptical of BG III (arguably two of the best RPGs ever made) then the genre just isn't for you.

I didn't like some of the slapstick comedy in DoS II. In fact, it grated on me pretty hard, but the game is so good I couldn't help but look past it.

BG III is in the same boat. In some parts the game clearly panders to the blue-haired drama kids that believe Hamas is a band of freedom-fighters, but there's no denying it's a generational title.

• 1Seriously?

velk

Trakanon Raider

Mechanically, combat is relatively similar to D:OS2, but the combat is not why it's getting overwhelmingly positive reviews.

It's more the extraordinary attention to detail in like, everything.

If you chant 'la-la-la can't hear you', while slamming on the skip key as you run from encounter to encounter following an online speedrun guide then it is possible the combat system is the only thing going to have an impact, but what you would be missing is so good.

Why not watch some videos or something ? It should be relatively easy to tell if it is something you would be into.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
If you didn't like DoS II and highly skeptical of BG III (arguably two of the best RPGs ever made) then the genre just isn't for you.

I think this is really not true, I’m mega turned off by the writing in dos2 and bg3 but I loved e.g., bg 1& 2, planescape torment, disco elysium, knights of the old republic, mass effect 2, etc. There’s just something I find particularly terrible about Larian writing that’s difficult to put into words - I just end up cringing and wanting to close the game far too often. People link me “funny moments” and it’s like they’re exactly designed to annoy me.

Obviously this is a minority opinion given the wild success of the game, but I don’t think there’s no hope if you don’t like it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think this is really not true, I’m mega turned off by the writing in dos2 and bg3 but I loved e.g., bg 1& 2, planescape torment, disco elysium, knights of the old republic, mass effect 2, etc. There’s just something I find particularly terrible about Larian writing that’s difficult to put into words - I just end up cringing and wanting to close the game far too often. People link me “funny moments” and it’s like they’re exactly designed to annoy me.

Obviously this is a minority opinion given the wild success of the game, but I don’t think there’s no hope if you don’t like it.
I played BG1/2 through a few times. I found the writing in BG3 consistent with them. I never played DoS 1 or 2, but did play Divinity II (The dragon one).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
but I don’t think there’s no hope if you don’t like it.
I've found your problem with the writing. It's coming from inside the house.

jk, I also hate the writing for half the characters in this game. Or maybe they're written well TO BE ANNOYING.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I've found your problem with the writing. It's coming from inside the house.

jk, I also hate the writing for half the characters in this game. Or maybe they're written well TO BE ANNOYING.

I initially hated them, but I feel like most of them grew on me as the story progressed. The writing is a success in the sense that it portrays the party as a ragtag bunch of misfits that wouldn't be caught dead together if they didn't have worms growing in their brains.

It's also better now that everyone's relationship values have been fixed, and they aren't all trying to get in your pants within the first act of the game.

Goonsquad Officer
Yea that was a bit annoying the way folks wanted to fuck in 30 seconds

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
And yet, he stops sleeping with you all because you tell him to bite that chick in a2

skylan

Trakanon Raider
You guys confirmed what I suspected, I thank you for all the input. As much as I want to love every highly rated game as much as everyone else it's just not my genre. My buddy is going to get it when it comes out on Xbox (it infuriates me that he won't buy a gaming PC), and I'll check it out with him.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Why not watch some videos or something ? It should be relatively easy to tell if it is something you would be into.
I could, I find the feedback on this forum to be pretty reliable when it comes to gaming though and for some reason I just can't stand watching videos of other people playing video games. I think I'm just old.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Even though my bae Shadowheart looks damn fine in +1 Scale Mail she couldn’t sate my lust so I’ve started fucking the Girthyanki broad since she’s better than the red bitch. I’m making Shadowheart and the green broad wear each others underwear in a show of perverted dominance.

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Even though my bae Shadowheart looks damn fine in +1 Scale Mail she couldn’t sate my lust so I’ve started fucking the Girthyanki broad since she’s better than the red bitch. I’m making Shadowheart and the green broad wear each others underwear in a show of perverted dominance.
"Girthyanki" ???

also karlach is amazing.