Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Reminded me of when I played FF2(FF4) as a kid and finished the game without knowing that you could cast spells on multiple targets.
This comment reminded me of my playthrough of Dark Souls. I had no understanding of encumbrance, so I was fat rolling around. I assumed it was because I was wearing heavy armor. Hey, I still beat the same though.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Patch out. Steam shows 139gb but I think that's total disk space not download.

You can group your party up and throw the hill giant elixir and apply to all of them when thrown now. Large download, lot of notes to read.
Doing it this way gives it a 10 turn duration instead of perm (till death/rest).

They also gave the turn based combat function a cooldown, didn't read the notes yet but that one was not surprising.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had a brilliant idea. WotC should have Larian make, or license out the engine for, a combat-heavy tactical RPG of The Last War from Eberron.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Doing it this way gives it a 10 turn duration instead of perm (till death/rest).

They also gave the turn based combat function a cooldown, didn't read the notes yet but that one was not surprising.

Thanks, didn't know that. Throwing potions seems kinda wonky to me but it's in the game.

So I started honor mode. That didn't last long. First fight against the goblins outside the grove gate. I killed all the goblins and worg and somehow managed to aggro everyone. So all the goblins went down and the worg, then everyone else walked over to me and smacked me. Not sure what I did but oh well.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I started honor mode. That didn't last long. First fight against the goblins outside the grove gate. I killed all the goblins and worg and somehow managed to aggro everyone. So all the goblins went down and the worg, then everyone else walked over to me and smacked me. Not sure what I did but oh well.
Anyone here beat honor mode or get that far with it?

I'll be tempted to give it a go if I replay BG3, though I doubt I'll invest the required effort to either use broken builds (if they exist...) or optimum paths. Especially since there will probably be new content I haven't seen and won't want spoiled.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I started a honor mode run because I was getting tired of save scumming. I just got to last light inn. I’m running an OP party so it hasn’t been too bad.

there’s a couple fun OP builds that come online early that you should give a try.

Karlach - thrower Bezerker. Only need the Returning Pike from Goblin camp outside vendor, and throw damage ring and gloves.

Astarion - 5 Gloom-stalker- 4 assassin- 3 fighter. Just need titanstring longbow from Zent hideout vendor and use +21 strength potion until you can get the club of giant strength from the top of the arcane tower. Also some +2 range damage gloves you can get early. I gave him the acid ring too.

Frenzy and dreadful Ambusher are so nice at level 3, they can really carry you to level 5 in honor mode.

I wanted my face to be pretty optimal for honor mode so I made a halfling sorcerer for halflings luck. Usually finish out the party with Shadowheart as a light Cleric for that sweet ass reaction.

Borzak

If you want to start honor mode I would wait after this patch. Seeing lots of post about things not working like before. Not sure if was intended or they introduced some new quirkiness. A few them seem really odd, not stuff that everyone knew or figured was broken and is now fixed. I know on tactician light cleric using radiant spirit guardians is very OP and you can reliminate a single companion or more if you are built for it.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone here beat honor mode or get that far with it?

I'll be tempted to give it a go if I replay BG3, though I doubt I'll invest the required effort to either use broken builds (if they exist...) or optimum paths. Especially since there will probably be new content I haven't seen and won't want spoiled.
The bugs that can fuck you over randomly make Honor Mode a no go for me. If you can customize it to get the difficulty without the one save and wipe shit, I might go back and do that but no way am I trusting a Larian game to not randomly take a shit on me with a bug that wipes out hours of gameplay. Last patch has been buggy and fucked over vendor interactions as one example of this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The bugs that can fuck you over randomly make Honor Mode a no go for me. If you can customize it to get the difficulty without the one save and wipe shit, I might go back and do that but no way am I trusting a Larian game to not randomly take a shit on me with a bug that wipes out hours of gameplay. Last patch has been buggy and fucked over vendor interactions as one example of this.
I'd be tempted to truly save-scum (by backing up the old savegame files in your file system and restoring them).

Would be interesting if instead of reverting from honor to custom mode on death, they instead had a running tally of times you reloaded or died. Really strict hardcore rules work really well on relatively bug free games or games with really dynamic content with a lot of replayability

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played through honor mode and didn't have any trouble. Reality is the game is just easy. Ran into some bugs which forced things I didn't want to happen but for the most part any problem is solvable with just killing more people or ignoring it. The game regularly gives you a half dozen different ways to get the same thing done so even if one bugs out, like say the gauntlet of shar, there are almost always other options. In the Gauntlet for example, you don't need the elevator at all to get down and you can lockpick/knock the final door or misty step through it with a little camera work.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I just noticed that there a loads of American Inventor npcs in act 3 and it's annoying me.

wait, is this the idiot who's always posting stupid memes about how people who are anti-woke and anti-globohomo are hillbillies and yokels? ygwyfd

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Finished on my main playthrough on tactician. I didn't look up much and the onlyl time I save scummed is if I died obviously and the S&M guy at the goblin camp because I wanted to see what the reward was.

I think honor would be okay if you do it after a patch has been out a while, right after no way. There could easily be a difficulty class between the two I think.

Will probably run another tactician and another direction and maybe go with one less party member or something.

Last edited:

Borzak

Hotfix now. Not sure what it is fixing yet, but the announcement said trading and bartering.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've finished honor mode before (had Gale blow up the brain to be fair), as long as you run a decent build and know the approximate path its not much different than regular.

2x camp food requirement (80 vs 40), you still get a shit ton of food and never run out.
Some of the boss legendary abilities are downright evil, can mitigate a few by grease/prone sticking and then hoping you can kill them before they get back up.

Nothing else comes to mind that can't be worked around. Throw barbs are stupidly OP (3 thief + barb for same turn rage + knock down throw), some sort of assassin + gloomstalker for sneak crit + surprise more sneak crit. Goes a long way

If nothing else, you can still cheese just about anything with barrelmancy and/or luring shit away with minor illusions

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just about anything you'd need save scumming for can be worked around to. With how easy it is to hire companions and respec, you can load up a character to pass any skill checks in the game on an almost 100% basis. I think when I decided to go all in for the Mirror of Loss 25 checks, I was running +22 Arcana/Religion with an advantage roll. How cheap Withers is to use is a real problem for the spirit of what Honor mode tries to be.

Borzak

Check your explorers chest in camp. I got a 3rd one now I guess after patch that I didn't have before. Some things were duplicated and some not. Nothing I really need another of but depending on item and your party combination it would be nice to get another of some items that have a lot of competition of use.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just about anything you'd need save scumming for can be worked around to. With how easy it is to hire companions and respec, you can load up a character to pass any skill checks in the game on an almost 100% basis. I think when I decided to go all in for the Mirror of Loss 25 checks, I was running +22 Arcana/Religion with an advantage roll. How cheap Withers is to use is a real problem for the spirit of what Honor mode tries to be.
Going back and forth to camp to respec or even sub in a party member, in the middle of a conversation, is a tedium I would rather not do.

I dislike the whole one save bullshit or hardcore prema-death game modes. I just wanted higher difficulty fights, where a full party wipe was possible, in at least half the fights in the game.

Hopefully they make a bunch more changes to difficulty by the time (or in) the Enhanced Edition is released. Which is when I will probably play the game again.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going back and forth to camp to respec or even sub in a party member, in the middle of a conversation, is a tedium I would rather not do.

I dislike the whole one save bullshit or hardcore prema-death game modes. I just wanted higher difficulty fights, where a full party wipe was possible, in at least half the fights in the game.

Hopefully they make a bunch more changes to difficulty by the time (or in) the Enhanced Edition is released. Which is when I will probably play the game again.
What you're describing sounds like their custom mode, pretty sure it has a single save y/n option, but you can ramp up hp/damage/give mobs the legendary powers etc.

• 1Like