Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Icewind Dale 3
Oh god damn that would be amazing. The Icewind Dale games were the big ones that originally got me into the genre, I didn’t play the Baldurs Gate series until later.
erection GIF

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh god damn that would be amazing. The Icewind Dale games were the big ones that originally got me into the genre, I didn’t play the Baldurs Gate series until later.
erection GIF
All they have to do is take all that great game engine that's already made, get a team making some dungeons with some new art assets, then have the bare minimum voice acting for the story and have people powergame their own custom party.

Double dip on all that investment in BG3.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The last two hotfixes excluded Xbox and now cross platform saves with Xbox won't work because they can't figture out the problem on Xbox.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All they have to do is take all that great game engine that's already made, get a team making some dungeons with some new art assets, then have the bare minimum voice acting for the story and have people powergame their own custom party.

Double dip on all that investment in BG3.
Whatever their next project, I want them to push the graphics a bit more. BG3 was "ok" but some stuff could be so much better in that part of the game.

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Tried playing this, the camera working is absolutely terrible. Is there any way to get it closer to first person view with the camera locked onto the view?

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll

Borzak

Maybe some mods but guessing one you get to a tight area like underground/cave it goes to crap again like it does without them.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Finally completed this last night. Definitely one of the best games of all time. I don't typically enjoy turned based games nor the Bioware-esque dialogue choice stuff....but the story was genuinely interesting plus with the characters and voice acting made this an amazing experience.

My only complaints are that I felt by the third act the game was running a bit too long. Also, inventory management was super annoying. Wasn't a good way to sort through gear to help choose pieces that might synergize with whatever builds I was running. Kinda got to the point where I said fuck it, good enough. Playing on Balanced the game was never particularly difficult, though. If there were choke points nearby, then the encounters never stood a chance. Insect Swarm + Spiked Growth shit just withered away.

Caliane

erection GIF
honestly same. Icewind dale series is one in that period that really got me back into CRPGs. its hard to argue exactly why. icewind dale isn't as fondly remembered. I think the more action oriented and less 90% of the game is in one city aspect was more enjoyable to me then.

Although, much of it back then was spotty PC ownership. kid>teen>adult. at any given time access to a current pc, internet, etc was off and on. missed alot of early games because my pc just couldn't handle them. 4 color secret of monkey island. cga. haha
and of course competition from consoles. I know jprgs were a bigger thing during that period. and video game rentals meant could play them all.
Ultima's I first played on NES. I don't remember when I went back and played 5 or 6. it was not at release. I know I got 8 when it released. (I don't think I ever went back and played 7...)
iirc ultima underworld I played in college. so would have been 96-2000. (it released in 92)

icewind dale, baulders gate 2 were 2000.
diablo 2 was in 2000 as well.
icewind dales got bought and played at release. but,baulders gate didnt for some reason. I own them. physical copies. but didn't get the play. started and stopped shortly or something.
neverwinter nights in 2002, got massive play.

we definitely go through phases in gaming too. mid college I was big into fighting games as well. even sports games.

I don't think icewind dale is actually something I would really be looking for in an rpg now. we have a bunch of lite rpgs. solasta, etc.
Just came across Disciples Liberation yesterday in that steam sale. a Kings bounty type rpg. somehow missed it backin 2021. a large solid demo.

(I'm also playing might and magic 8 atm)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
honestly same. Icewind dale series is one in that period that really got me back into CRPGs. its hard to argue exactly why. icewind dale isn't as fondly remembered. I think the more action oriented and less 90% of the game is in one city aspect was more enjoyable to me then.

Although, much of it back then was spotty PC ownership. kid>teen>adult. at any given time access to a current pc, internet, etc was off and on. missed alot of early games because my pc just couldn't handle them. 4 color secret of monkey island. cga. haha
and of course competition from consoles. I know jprgs were a bigger thing during that period.
Ultima's I first played on NES. I don't remember when I went back and played 5 or 6. it was not at release. I know I got 8 when it released. (I don't think I ever went back and played 7...)
iirc ultima underworld I played in college. so would have been 96-2000. (it released in 92)

icewind dale, baulders gate 2 were 2000.
diablo 2 was in 2000 as well.
icewind dales got bought and played at release. but,baulders gate didnt for some reason. I own them. physical copies. but didn't get the play. started and stopped shortly or something.
neverwinter nights in 2002, got massive play.

we definitely go through phases in gaming too. mid college I was big into fighting games as well. even sports games.

I don't think icewind dale is actually something I would really be looking for in an rpg now. we have a bunch of lite rpgs. solasta, etc.
Just came across Disciples Liberation yesterday in that steam sale. a Kings bounty type rpg. somehow missed it backin 2021. a large solid demo.

(I'm also playing might and magic 8 atm)
Going back the 80s, I have super fond memories of Wizard's Crown and the Phantasy series (or was it "Fantasy"? No, not the Sega game). These aren't based on D&D but were CRPGs with a good amount of depth. Oh, and Bards Tale too.

I miss being able to create my own party. Right around Ultima IV era they went in the direction of a single character with pregenerated NPCs joining your party.

I still wish BG3 would allow for entirely custom hirelings.

• 1Like

Caliane

I miss being able to create my own party. Right around Ultima IV era they went in the direction of a single character with pregenerated NPCs joining your party.
That is an interesting topic. I would actually blame Baldur's gate for it mostly. Its where all the romance, and companion quest focus dates back to. wizardry and might and magic def stayed more on the build a party for a good long time.
might and magic 8 has a single pc, and rest of the party is npcs. pretty much all the rest are full party create. wiz 8 is very famous for this with incredible voice acting for the npcs, letting you give them personality. temple of elemental evil was full party create, as well as icewind dale.

Jrpgs focused on the story/named npcs as well. dragonquest 2 had named party 87. dragon quest 3 1988 had a hero, and you created the rest of the party.
Final fantasy 3 was the last with unnamed characters iirc. 1990.

Ultima 4 was in 85. does make you wonder if japan was reacting to the characters in ultima 4.

edit:
double checked after finishing work... I do have icewind dale 1 and 2 on gog... maybe it is time to see how they hold up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally finished our first playthrough tonight at just over 90 hours w/ 3 others. The pre-epilogue ending was all sorts of buggy, things repeating 2-3 times sometimes and hanging until whomever had control of the scene hit the spacebar.

Borzak

Been said some of act 3 and part of the ending is buggy at times. They've gone back to the drawing board a number of times but Minthara is still bugged if you want an avil playthrough or even semi evil. They release updates and it seems to get more and more buggy. If you have plans in game involving her best to avoid her for now especially if you are on a honor mode game. Can't really keep track of what her current issue is it changes every hotfix.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I started with Gale the wizard guy and didn't really like him. Switched the class to Monk and am enjoying it a lot more.

I feel like my whole team misses 65% shots about 90% of the time. This shit must be using the same weighted dice that XCOM does.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My guess is that they were offered a Star Wars license.

They gave license to multiple studios in the last few years.

Tech side they don't have much to do. The change of setting would be enough.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My guess is that they were offered a Star Wars license.

They gave license to multiple studios in the last few years.

Tech side they don't have much to do. The change of setting would be enough.
I mean, they literally just keep the dice the same for the Troopers. 99% success? /miss

Borzak

If you disable karmic dice your average die roll for skills and conversations will be higher, but you can get bad runs for a period.