Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 526175

honestly can’t say ever, but this has been one of the funnest RPGs I’ve played in awhile, since at least Skyrim and the experience has probably been better than that overall

Karlach is the first fictional character I’ve had the hots for in over twenty years
Thought I was done with Act 1 lol, but I have all this Underdark/Grimforge stuff to do and Githyanki Creche isn't even fully done.

Cyberpunk 2077 is better for me so far imo, but this is pretty good. Already planning a second play through given that it seems like Dark Urge is a Bhaalspawn run.

Only thing I didn't like was the initial steep learning curve on tactician given how reasonable it is now at lv6, but BG1 was exactly the same.

Trying to decide if I like open world/real time BG1/2 better, or the (slightly) more linear/turn based BG3.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Only thing I didn't like was the initial steep learning curve on tactician given how reasonable it is now at lv6, but BG1 was exactly the same.
Yeah honestly, a small tutorial to get you started if youre not familiar with the rules of DnD would have been helpful

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah honestly, a small tutorial to get you started if youre not familiar with the rules of DnD would have been helpful
Honestly only the die hard DnD nerds ever were familiar with DnD 5.0. So most of us started from a layman persective. And in all reality you see what works and what does not in a few battles. Its not really difficult especially for those that ever played a tactical rpg before, which all have their special rule sets from 2 AP systems to 5 AP systems and everything between. Plus they have explanations on every skill or every perk or skill, etc... in the game anyway.

Bald Brah

Golden Squire
The big problem is there just isn't very many super low level areas. You're kind of forced into fairly high level encounters pretty early when you have little understanding of the game mechanics. Running into the giant spider or gnoll boss or evil paladins or githyanki at the bridge, or hag in the swamp is pretty much instant death before lvl 5. There are ways to deal with them early, but only if you know the game mechanics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The big problem is there just isn't very many super low level areas. You're kind of forced into fairly high level encounters pretty early when you have little understanding of the game mechanics. Running into the giant spider or gnoll boss or evil paladins or githyanki at the bridge, or hag in the swamp is pretty much instant death before lvl 5. There are ways to deal with them early, but only if you know the game mechanics.
I really liked that about the game, though. There was a ton of times where I thought back to previous conversations and was like "Fuck. If i would have chose that, then those NPC's would have cheesed this whole encounter for me." Sort of like talking to the Spiders in the basement of the Goblin Castle. If you just fight with them, you'll roll through the whole damn place and only have to fight a few mobs on your own. Shit like that is what makes this game so good. Its one of the reasons why I think this game deserved so much more attention than it got. I feel like I heard more about the disastrous ass game of Starfield, than I did of BG3 and.. thats just not right. I feel like a ton of people that enjoy GTA, would like BG3, for example. If only the fucking gay wasnt level 1000 when this game came out. That Bear sex scene "leak" or "tease" fucking scorched earth a ton of people.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just wish there was more. As you finally start getting fun items and fleshed out characters, the game is over.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
p26046898_b_v13_aa.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah this was my issue, didn't need a tutorial, just some low level enemies to get a feel of the game from.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh you mean like the nautiloid ship, where you basically cant lose?
What is that, 2 or 3 individual imps?

Then you fight a mindflayer and a demon with a time limit that's ball crushingly hard on tactician.

Meanwhile at lv5 I'm casually wiping out a Beholder in the Underdark that was insane difficulty in BG2 unless you had stuff like charm immune.

BG1 was the same way. I remember Icewind Dale had a much smoother difficulty curve though.

leaf

Decline Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The Underdark abberation you mention is not a beholder, its a spectator. Challenge Rating 13-14 v CR 3.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Golden Squire
The Underdark abberation you mention is not a beholder, its a spectator. Challenge Rating 13-14 v CR 3.
The bullette at lvl 5 pissed me off too. And those weak ass minotaurs. Those are end game monsters, or should be. Instead we got stupid shit like endless mind flayers and brain puppies.

"OH but the end game ones are different. They cast magic missile!"

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I thought the mechanics were done okay. I didn't know anything about DND 5. The first half of the story was acceptable. Past that when it became clear the end boss was a brain and the entire mindflayer thing was a huge turn off to me.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is there a Kensai type thing in this game? Main is a Sorceror but it feels underwhelming compared to Karlach and Laezel smashing stuff. I remember soloing all of BG1EE and BG2 with a hasted invisible Kensai gibbing everything.

The bullette at lvl 5 pissed me off too. And those weak ass minotaurs. Those are end game monsters, or should be. Instead we got stupid shit like endless mind flayers and brain puppies.

"OH but the end game ones are different. They cast magic missile!"
Those minotaurs wrecked me, had to come back later once I had some better gear and extra attacks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is there a Kensai type thing in this game? Main is a Sorceror but it feels underwhelming compared to Karlach and Laezel smashing stuff. I remember soloing all of BG1EE and BG2 with a hasted invisible Kensai gibbing everything.

Those minotaurs wrecked me, had to come back later once I had some better gear and extra attacks.
There's no Kensai, but having played BG1/2 as Kensai multiple times, I felt right at home as a barbarian in BG3. Especially when if you get the badass flaming sword in the tutorial.

Bald Brah

Golden Squire

I ended up with a party full of bards for my honor run. Maybe not the best early game but sword bard 10 tempest cleric 2 with water myrmidon pet for wetting everything and max level lightning bolt with guaranteed max double dmg is pretty spectacular.

I was running 3 swords bards and one lore bard.

Once I figured out you can pass around the staff of marokeshir and the other staff with arcane battery so everyone gets 2 free 6th lvl spells it was lit. Everyone had a 6th level water myrmidon for free and one other free cast.

velk

Trakanon Raider
There's nothing really similar to Kensai, but you could give smite bard ( 2pal/10 sword bard) or eldritch knight a go for the swordy-caster-type. Are you playing honor mode ? Melee is not quite so dominant there due to the changes to haste and damage riders.

velk

Trakanon Raider

For a minor spoiler on that fight
Their leap attack doesn't negate fall damage - if you go around them and then attack them from the bottom path they will leap down at you like suicidal lemmings and take massive fall damage into prone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user