Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Caliane

Wouldn't be surprised if Larian published this as a way to influence negotiations on future DLC / game for WOTC and how much the IP royalty payout is. The creation of a campaign builder + Dungeon Master game in the DnD universe (basically another try at Neverwinter Nights) could be a huge cash cow for WOTC and Larian would be the best group to produce it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Larian just gives no fucks about WOTC $$$ and wants to make new IP.

I wonder what the status is of Larian releasing the Divinity 4 engine BG3 is built on, and whether WOTC could or would want to use it for new games.
The thing is, Larian made campaign creators for both Divinity games, and it completely tanked. That they DIDN'T bother with bg3 is telling. but at the same time, BG3 being even more massively successful, now would be an opportunity to try yet again, with a mountain of cash. as an expansion... but they said no..

I was reminded of another aspect of the OGL, and hasbro/wotc shenanigans.

Again probably a pretty large aspect of this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
FWIW, I've got 115 hours in BG3 and I've yet to leave Act 1 (I'm very close, Nere to go.)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

The thing is, Larian made campaign creators for both Divinity games, and it completely tanked. That they DIDN'T bother with bg3 is telling

The D&D IP is pretty strong. A campaign editor to allow you to port your PnP games to the BG3 platform would have probably been pretty popular

However that would have presumably have been time consuming to make.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I was reminded of another aspect of the OGL, and hasbro/wotc shenanigans.

Again probably a pretty large aspect of this.

Yeah, I said early on that the person that set up the deal with Larian did amazing work, and if WotC had any sense they'd be sending over the blank cheque to keep Larian working for them.

Apparently in the real world, that person gets fired for not squeezing hard enough and then they squeeze hard enough that Larian tells them to go fuck themselves.

It's like WotC wants to fail.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_1221.png

• 13Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 14 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why anyone expected Larian to do any significant expansion/DLC content. They never do. And BG3 did a decent job of tying up lose knots etc, especially if you 100% (or get close to) the game

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They are still trying to tie up loose ends from the patch notes concerning Minthara. So far it's been 3 or so we'll see if they ever get it fixed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just checked my ass for made up statistics. People who romanced Karlach are 320% more likely to be in healthy relationships than people who romance any other character.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I just checked my ass for made up statistics. People who romanced Karlach are 320% more likely to be in healthy relationships than people who romance any other character.
I could honestly believe this given that the other most romanced character seems to be Astarion, who’s seemingly a self centered, power hungry exploiter.

I can’t grasp why so many women have the hots for him, from my playthrough so far, he seems like a horrible person with no redeeming qualities. Not like he’s the “thief with a heart of gold.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Karlach is a golden retriever in the body of a giant devil woman. She was dealt the worst hand of any companion before the game starts and suffers throughout into a tragic ending. Despite that, she wags her tail any chance she gets and doesn't mind giving a male Tav the orgasm of a lifetime.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users