Ballers (HBO show with The Rock)

spronk

FPS noob
his hot girlfriend also said he's been reading the last chapter for 3 hours, so either the rock can't read or the book sucks

i know fuck all about sports, is that really how the NFL handles doping too? you can take a 4 game suspension and just... keep playing?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Thats pretty much exactly how it goes. There really isnt anything the players can do to warrant a ban or really long suspension unless you're a repeat offender.

Even then, people like Josh Gordon get a thousand chances and just keeping failing drug tests.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just watched the first episode of season 4. I feel like I'm missing something.
Didn't the last season end with Spencer being in a shit load of trouble for trying to get some highschool kid into the NFL, and also bringing a lawsuit against the franchise?

Yet this season opens up he's in a palatial estate on the beach that he seemingly owns, while debating buying the majority share of the Chiefs, and Joe is kicking ass with Aldous Snow while driving around in an Aston Martin. What the hell happened in the 1 year gap?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just watched the first episode of season 4. I feel like I'm missing something.
Didn't the last season end with Spencer being in a shit load of trouble for trying to get some highschool kid into the NFL, and also bringing a lawsuit against the franchise?

Yet this season opens up he's in a palatial estate on the beach that he seemingly owns, while debating buying the majority share of the Chiefs, and Joe is kicking ass with Aldous Snow while driving around in an Aston Martin. What the hell happened in the 1 year gap?
I've not watched in a long time, I was just clicking on thread to see what people have to say about it. It sounds like from reading the comments you actually watched the first episode of season 5, not season 4

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, it was season 5. My bad. I've watched every season so far. I just don't know how it suddenly advanced to this part of the story. Maybe they'll tell me.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i feel like i missed an episode every time i see one, i don't really understand half the stuff going on - didn't the black chick at the end of this episode used to fuck the rock? aren't they enemies? do i really care? i still have no clue how the rock is rich, how the NFL doesn't despise him, or why Joe is still on the show - great actor, but his character is basically an accountant.

i miss that Entourage x League vibe from season 1, season 5 is a lot more ... boring and business focused. no titties, no retard sports guys crashing $1m cars, no titties, no crazy cocaine parties. the central plot to this arc right now is hiring someone, which is like a season of The Office. I get it, the Rock has a daughter and just got married and he doesn't want the girls in his life asking "daddy, why do you make a TV show where the women run around topless and just suck dicks" but man that kinda show has almost vanished

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm guessing he won the lawsuit against the NCAA but why is he rich because of it is what I want to know. Either Jow and the Rock become huge rivals or they make up and form a power house team by the end of the season.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I can only assume that the NFL wants to make him an owner just to make the lawsuit go away, but that wasn't explained at all. And suddenly he's rich as fuck. I dunno. Oh well, I'll keep watching.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
After episode 2 they make it seem like everyone made money off the TV station and that's how they can buy the chiefs. I like the season so far. Really interested in where they are taking this season.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
He never had a lawsuit against NFL, he had one against NCAA.

And yes, he got rich because the highschool kid (Quincy?) whose mom he was banging decided to go to that college for which they bought the TV rights for. The kid was able to do that after NCAA ruled him eligible to play college football.

Not sure about the current seasons. It feels really weird. Like preachy. It no longer seems to be about shenanigans but rather about how he "got to the top" and his inner demons with his brother's suicide.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
He never had a lawsuit against NFL, he had one against NCAA.

And yes, he got rich because the highschool kid (Quincy?) whose mom he was banging decided to go to that college for which they bought the TV rights for. The kid was able to do that after NCAA ruled him eligible to play college football.

Not sure about the current seasons. It feels really weird. Like preachy. It no longer seems to be about shenanigans but rather about how he "got to the top" and his inner demons with his brother's suicide.

And it's all about him being black. I never knew Rock was black until Season 4 of Ballers - LOL.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I really like where this has gone this season. It's the perfect mix of reality and bullshit.

spronk

FPS noob
the eSports shit is silly and could have been done a lot better but i do like the NFL angle. Rob Corddry's character though seems like he's doing a different TV show and its spliced into here.

episode 5 had some nice stripper titties, too bad its the only episode this season with that. episode 6 almost became a rom-com

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I really liked tonight's episode. It gave "warm fuzzies" the entire time. Looks like next week is not just the season finale, but the series finale. I wasn't expecting that. Oh well, really like this show. Can't wait to see what kind of shit goes down next week. From the trailer, it looks like it'll be too much for a 30 minute episode, so maybe we'll get 45-60 instead. Time will tell.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That was a good close to the series. Seemed to wrap pretty much everything up. I was pleased with the conclusion.

It definitely went with the Entourage style ending, by making it very positive. But that's all good, I really enjoyed the overall ride of the series. The Rock is such a great actor, even when not doing action.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't like it. It felt like they were rushing through everything like it was on flash cards. Maybe it was just the poor contrast vs Succession, which was slow and methodical. Wish the finale was an hour, give you a moment to breath between the beats.

Fun series though.