Band of Brothers

Cybsled

My grandfather had some great stories about Australia during WW2. He always wanted to go back and visit, but never got the chance.

He told one story on how he and some other marines were out on the town and missed the last train/transport back to the base. So they went to a local fire station and got the fire chief massively drunk, loaded him into the truck as a passenger, then they all got on the fire truck and drove it back to base. He said they all got chewed out when they arrived lol

But ya, Pacific was brutal. My grandfather never talked much about it besides the funny stories or animals he saw in the jungle or close calls he had. The only time he even told a story about shooting at another soldier was a non-fatal incident and I think he only told that because he was impressed with the shot because it was without a scope and at extreme range (he was a Marine scout).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
they have a whole episode where theyre just fucking around in australia
Read up on some of the stories about Australians fighting off the Skavens on New Guinea and the Solomons. Fuckin' brutal shit - that's when Aussies used to have nuts.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
No discussion of this series is complete without the clip of Lt Spiers. You could spend an hour deconstructing everything this clip had to teach about leadership.

I wish our political leadership, or anyone willing to lead this country, had half the fortitude these men had.

• 1Solidarity

dizzie

Triggered Happy
My grandfather had some great stories about Australia during WW2. He always wanted to go back and visit, but never got the chance.

He told one story on how he and some other marines were out on the town and missed the last train/transport back to the base. So they went to a local fire station and got the fire chief massively drunk, loaded him into the truck as a passenger, then they all got on the fire truck and drove it back to base. He said they all got chewed out when they arrived lol

But ya, Pacific was brutal. My grandfather never talked much about it besides the funny stories or animals he saw in the jungle or close calls he had. The only time he even told a story about shooting at another soldier was a non-fatal incident and I think he only told that because he was impressed with the shot because it was without a scope and at extreme range (he was a Marine scout).

My Grandfather didn't serve in the Pacific itself, but he fought the Japs in Burma (Chindits). Got a box of his stuff up in my attic, scarf that was a map, small machete, papers, hat, unit badges/insignia some carvings he made while sitting in the jungle etc. He fought alongside the Gurkha regiments and was stationed in India prior to action, so always had the utmost respect for Indian people. Hated the Japs till the day he passed. I never heard any combat stories from him, but he always attended the regimental reunions, so the bond he made with those guys was for life.

My father and I obtained his war records a while ago, they were pretty interesting. Shows quite detailed information, everything from the ship he sailed over on to times when his unit engaged enemy combatants etc.

They were brave men back then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Where would you start to get combat records? I have his discharge papers, but that’s it

dizzie

Triggered Happy
In the UK you can apply for service records if they are for a family member from WW2. There's a place here that will search for you.

Cybsled

Ah I found it for US. Apparently stuff from people discharged over 62 years ago is more or less public record and you can get it from national archives for a fee.

I’ll have to look into that, thanks for the idea

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The beginning stuff with Leckie I didn't care for either. It starts to get good once Sledge comes in and Leckie goes to the psych ward. I think it's somewhere around episode 3-4ish?

The thing you have to remember is that the Pacific theater wasn't nearly as glamorous as Europe. It was just a brutal slog through island after island. It's not great from an, "OMG PEW PEW SO KEWL!!" standpoint - I found it amazing from a, "holy fuck, the shit those dude's psyches had to endure.." standpoint. Final episode really brings it home.
eps 4 is just about the faggot w/ the bedwetting problem, wtf

so far this series makes me yawn

dizzie

Triggered Happy
By episode 4 in BoB they'd already dropped into Normandy, fought in the Battle of Carentan and helped liberate Eindhoven.The pacing was spot on, most episodes had lots of combat stuff.

Fadaar

That guy
Of the war books I've read

View attachment 388059

reminds me the most of the show. It's about the first world war and the US's involvement in it and then story of how we came to have a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Lots of history, larger than life figures, all that jazz.

For actual shows Generation Kill gets the closest?

View attachment 388061

Follows around a company of Marines during the first Iraq War.

Second Iraq war technically, it's the 03 invasion

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
By episode 4 in BoB they'd already dropped into Normandy, fought in the Battle of Carentan and helped liberate Eindhoven.The pacing was spot on, most episodes had lots of combat stuff.
yea, just finished the pacific, it's garbage

• 2Edgelord
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

BoB had the advantage of following a singular group of people, so it was easier to create a singular narrative arc

Pacific is split up because it follows multiple groups of people in different campaigns at different points

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Pacific wasn't bad, but it was definitely hit or miss. BoB is much more coherent which is at least partly from it being 1 group instead of multiple. Generation Kill is really good as well.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
My Grandfather didn't serve in the Pacific itself, but he fought the Japs in Burma (Chindits). Got a box of his stuff up in my attic, scarf that was a map, small machete, papers, hat, unit badges/insignia some carvings he made while sitting in the jungle etc. He fought alongside the Gurkha regiments and was stationed in India prior to action, so always had the utmost respect for Indian people. Hated the Japs till the day he passed. I never heard any combat stories from him, but he always attended the regimental reunions, so the bond he made with those guys was for life.

My father and I obtained his war records a while ago, they were pretty interesting. Shows quite detailed information, everything from the ship he sailed over on to times when his unit engaged enemy combatants etc.

They were brave men back then.
My grandfather was in Italy. He would never talk about it. I remember finding a box of stuff in his closet once when I was young but don't remember details.

When my Dad died a little while ago, we scrounged up the grandfather's stash. A map of their route through southern Italy with notes. An AA shell with initials and a date punched into it. Some coins, medals, usual stuff. A piece of shrapnel I recall the old man saying he pried out of a doorframe after it almost hit him.

Yeah, nowadays young adults get PTSD when their Skip The Dishes/Uber Eats is 5 minutes late or is missing a condiment. Or if they have to actually talk to someone face to face, or, God forbid, on the PHONE. Hard to believe the tribulations those war generations endured.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I went into The Pacific expecting Band of Brothers and was sorely disappointed. Many years later, I gave it a second chance and really enjoyed it for what it was. They tried to show the wars impact on more than just a few small battles (the island hoping campaign was more a series of small battles, than one long continuous push that you see in Europe).

Still, I would have preferred a BoB clone that followed one unit/division of marines, even if that meant they were only able to show a small corner of the war, on a couple islands. At most, they could have probably pulled off two great plot lines, one Navy, and one Marine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this channel just released an overhead of the landing at lz xray in we were soldiers once and young

if you want to see a movie that kills lots of asians, this is much better than that shitty pacific mini series

the pacific is just garbage, i think you guys believe you "should" like it, rather than it was just a bunch of disjointed crap.

• 1Edgelord

Cybsled

For The Pacific, they wanted to touch on different battles, but they didn't involve the same divisions, so it split things up.

It wasn't garbage - I think it works better if you think of it as a loose anthology vs. a cohesive story. One thing I did appreciate is the fact they did try to touch on PTSD and the difficulty vets had returning from the war in the last episode, which frequently gets ignored in WW2 pieces.