Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
NO worries, the only thing - for YOU to worry about is the control points the surveyor lays down- that is his "control tie" between what he does in cad. and what YOU do in whatever program you use to convert into a 3d mesh (or whatever you are giving him)

because the surveyor will know that point A to point B is X feet to the nearest hundredth of a foot - a hundredth is 1/8th of an inch btw a tenth is 1-3/16 inches.
and that point b to point c is ...
and that point c to point a is ...

and when he gets what you exported and he inserts it into his cad software. he has HAVE his control points in there and he checks "field to field- to record" your distances for the points vs HIS distances to the points, if it all is scaled properly - once everything is rotated onto the "same" bearing system (not that hard to do- i have to adjust our points to different bearing systems all the time. the pain is when you get 2 plans adjacent to each other,...on different bearing systems...AND.... the angles don't "match" (ie the interior angle between say the street line and the side line - which is on BOTH plans,...are DIFFERENT and there is not jog in the street- it is a nice straight line..yet the angle is off so that you have the "same" line, that goes in 2 DIFFERENT directions, yet is supposed to be...the same- now you have to figure which is RIGHT (and the scary part is,, both plans Could be right- OR neither could be).

so he compared the mesh/point file of your computer generated map, to HIS point file of HIS generated map, and merged & rotated(if necessary) them and compared and everything YOU did compared to everything HE did was within 2 inches - and looking at the sight, that "main" 3 block by 3 block residential are is what about 750' per side (about 13 acres).. being off by under 2 inches over 13 acres is disgustingly good.

Take a traditional flyover - via a plane that is scheduled for a surveyor to do topo for say 80 acres ,,,the company-prior to flying the site- will pull up google maps and say, put control points..HERE HERE AND HERE and do this to mark them - in our case since i am using something we did several years ago- a big-skinny X in orange on the ground with a pk nail set on the cross hair as close to the center as possible, then WE had to go out with our instrument and survey locate all 3 control points, then tell the photogrammy company, that control point 1 is elevation A.AA , and is XXXXX.XX feet to point 2 which is Elevation B.BB... 2 to 3 which is elevation CC.CC is yyyyy.yy and 1 to 3 is zzzz.zz feet then they... scaled their photo's and then converted everything to a topographic map projection adjusting everything to the elevations we gave.

side note-- sometimes record control is...WRONG. this SAME job.. Several of the Record bounds in the street were...not even CLOSE to matching the actually Record dimensions for said Roadway- one was off by over 15 FEET, and another was off by 3 feet one by 9 feet.. yet the stone wall DH controls at the back of the properties surrounding the parcels, to the control the next street over...was within 0.15' (about a 3000' distance overall between the dh's and the stone bound control point) and... unfortunately for my firm...one of the bounds we used for record control...was the bound that was off by 3' because it was off in such a way, that the field to record distance BETWEEN the bounds one street over to that was...was within 0.2 feet...(1200 foot distance-different bound than the 3k foot one) so imagine the egg on our face when the site was cleared and we found new control points (the dh's on the stone walls) that were covered by ivy and scrub....after Half the road was built... in the wrong spot. luckily, it just meant that the road was "skewed" when they paved- luckily the pavement was still in the road layout. we then had to go thru, and fix the paved area and bring the roadway back to center where it belonged --the skew was such that the farthest culdesac from the "skew point" would have rotated the edge of pavement by 8 feet towards the sideline- it would remain inside the layout,, just be..not centered. we - of course- had to fix this for no fee (luckily they had not built that section of road when the error was discovered)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well, the GCPs that he gives me are dead on, but that's just the way I process them. Basically, I force the software to recognize that those GCPs are 100%, no questions asked, absolutely infallible. So, those points will always be dead-on.

This is exactly why they can't use those points to verify accuracy. We KNOW the map is right in those locations.....what we're looking for is the accuracy at the points that are as far away from those GCPs as possible. What I want to do is find that distance where the accuracy goes below an acceptable level, so that we can then optimize GCP density and placement. Basically, any given point in the point cloud I generate needs to be within X feet of a GCP to be considered accurate enough. We need to find out what X is.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
no that is good., you forced the distance because that is what it was supposed to be

now THEY need to go out and ...check the limits of your flyover to see if the distance from say near the nw corner of the northwesterly most house to the bridge on the se side road is also within acceptable limits using your data provide, and compare that distance to their distance. IF everything was done and adjusted properly.. it should match within say under a half foot or less (and that is good enough over that distance to be acceptable in any court case about land disputes- it is about a mile by my eyeball mark 3 if i REALLY wanted to check i'd hit fema's website and use their measuring tool)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I bought aBlade Inductrixabout two weeks ago and donated it to my fire department's charity baseball game against the cops, which we ended up raffling off. As it happens, my neighbor won it and we found out pretty quick that my dog loves this tiny little drone.

So I bought another one, and it's the best damn ($45) dog toy I've ever had.
smile.png
This thing has taken some serious abuse from the dog, and it's still going. The girlfriend and I had a Dromida Kodo and Blade Nano almost 2 years ago, and both of them were dead in under a week, and the dog wasn't even going after them.

This thing is a blast.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ROFL
smile.png

A good check is... the inbetween stuff

roadway width check (should be an inch or two)

the bridges
the distances between the buildings etc.

if your control points are good (and you made them good) and you have a decent triangle setup of control points (that way you get n-s and e-w scaled right - or should be scaled right)

then you/they just have to check everything BUT the control points from their survey things to verify
or check from the survey points to other features, manhole centers, building corners, curbs. corner of bridges.

if the surveyor - is happy- was saying it was checking to a tenth, then it should be a tenth - most likely- throughout everything... they have their survey data where then "shot" everything back of sidewalks, mh's house corners, curb lines, sidewalks, the athletic field, roadways, tree locations, street poles, signs etc.

and when they got the data in cad readable form imported (probably as a 3d mesh block initially- i honestly do not know how you gave it to him) he most likely overlaid your 3d mesh/whatever it looks like on top of HIS data..and compared. (it is what i would have done)

i would have locked your mesh to the control points- rotated so ctl point "1" on my cad overlaid on "your" ctl point 1 exactly, then rotated- if necessary- to ctl point 2 so that your point 2 was ontop of "my" point 2

then i would have checked around..comparing my shots to your shots. if everything you did was correct then my curb line that i shot, should be within an half inch or less of your curbline -- my house corner shots should overlay onto your house corner... my sign post shots, should be your sign post render....etc etc.

then the farthest shot i took - say that bridge a mile away to the SE--should line up within an inch or so --- of your 3d render of the bridge.....

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The other two guys went to a flight without me yesterday, since I'm on shift at the fire department.

We got 4 new cameras to beta test, which they haven't used yet. I wrote out instructions (and they did end up getting it to work), but I found this when I was starting to process everything.
Made me laugh.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Anything good for property surveillance just yet? I'd like something that could fly and record a perimeter of about 1200 feet every 15 minutes or so.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Autonomously? No...that's an unrealistic expectation right now. If you wanted to go apeshit, you could design your own pod that will launch one on a timer and then come back and charge wirelessly, but there's a whole slew if little "projects" involved in that.

A bunch of wireless hunting cameras makes way more sense. 1200ft perimeter is next to nothing.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ya 1200 sf is nothing.. like what 50x24

technically you COULD do it automatically just not really worth the hassle it would be to set up correctly. plus if something goes wrong...

you have power? can run some ethernet cable?

get somethign like monoprice's 4 camera setup for 245, then spend ~90-130 bucks on 1000ft outdoor rated cat5/6 cable and install it

though....

Inductive or Magnetic Recharging for Small UAVs - YouTube

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
Taking my drone to a beach in South Carolina this week. The government's B4UFly app says there is an airport within x miles and that I need to call and let them know that I'll be flying. Do I really need to do this? Anything else I should worry about?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If youre flying as a hobbyist, I say definitely do it. It's soooooooo easy if you're doing it for recreation, you might as well just CYA.

koljec_sl

shitlord
ya 1200 sf is nothing.. like what 50x24

technically you COULD do it automatically just not really worth the hassle it would be to set up correctly. plus if something goes wrong...

you have power? can run some ethernet cable?

get somethign like monoprice's 4 camera setup for 245, then spend ~90-130 bucks on 1000ft outdoor rated cat5/6 cable and install it

though....
My bad, 1200 linear. Property is basically a triangle with three 400' sides with some pretty steep elevation changes.

I could do cable for anything close to the house, but I'd want something wireless for anything else.

A periodic/intermittent sentry drone just seems like a cool idea.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Any drones that can be tethered for indefinite flight time?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just started a project that has serious potential to get us and the camera company a lot of national attention.
wink.png

I don't want to say anything else until I see the NDA, but it's something we haven't seen anyone else do yet, and the camera company is pushing is hard to do it. Teasers, teasers.