Bartending

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Those are all perfectly valid caveats.

Its weird, we have fuckloads of hispanics in Lexington, but they don't do much yard work.

They did all the tobacco work till that industry died, and now they're all in construction.

Mostly middle aged white guys doing yard work for old people round here that I see personally.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Honestly doing the software dev on the side would make me way more money than any of the other options I just don't want to deal with it, I want to do something else. Mowing isn't a bad proposition since I already own a lawn tractor but I think Cad is right, not much opportunity for that at a decent price point to make it worth my while.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah pretty sure most bars would prefer to hire some smoking hot chick who doesn't know water from tequila over a qualified and experienced frumpy dude. Bars make most of their money from women (either directly or indirectly) so having a built in hot chick to be there every weekend can be a pretty good revenue stream.

Maybe do some Uber driving?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Have you thought about teaching evening classes (related to your career field) at a community college? I make about $700/month (after taxes) teaching one class, for only a total of about 5 - 6 hours a week of work (2-hours, 2 nights a week + 1 - 2 hours of prep/grading a week). It's not as much as a bartending job would bring it, but it's something that I genuinely enjoy doing and is insanely slow stress. Plus since it's either Mon/Wed or Tue/Thur evenings, it doesn't require sacrificing weekend nights.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Have you thought about teaching evening classes (related to your career field) at a community college? I make about $700/month (after taxes) teaching one class, for only a total of about 5 - 6 hours a week of work (2-hours, 2 nights a week + 1 - 2 hours of prep/grading a week). It's not as much as a bartending job would bring it, but it's something that I genuinely enjoy doing and is insanely slow stress. Plus since it's either Mon/Wed or Tue/Thur evenings, it doesn't require sacrificing weekend nights.
How do you get into this/start doing that with out any teaching background? I am a CPA and have always thought teaching accounting at a community college would be fun to try.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'd rather do sidework in my related field than teach about it for a modest earning to be honest. The bartending thing really is only because I just think it would be fun and that I would be good at it.

I bet if I shaved my facial hair into an ironic mustache and wore a fedora I'd have no problem finding a bartending job at some trendy douche bar. I do live in a college town after all. And I'm a ginger, so I have that going for me.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
How do you get into this/start doing that with out any teaching background? I am a CPA and have always thought teaching accounting at a community college would be fun to try.
From what I understand, community colleges don't require any specific teaching certifications like you find with primary and secondary schools. While I have a teaching certification (because I wanted to be a better teacher), I know for a fact there are people in my department who don't have one. Education + work experience is probably all that's needed to get an adjunct position with most community colleges.

Column_sl

shitlord
Those are all perfectly valid caveats.

Its weird, we have fuckloads of hispanics in Lexington, but they don't do much yard work.

They did all the tobacco work till that industry died, and now they're all in construction.

Mostly middle aged white guys doing yard work for old people round here that I see personally.
Mexicans don't mow lawns where you are from? What hell is this, and how soon can we nuke it off the planet???

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You ever notice how you'll see the same bartender at your favorite bars time-after-time year-after-year? The spots where you can actually make some decent cash in tips generally don't turn over that often and when they do there is often someone in-house already in-line for the position. Same thing with wait staff positions, it is actually not easy to get a position (especially w/o experience) at the desirable locations because they are coveted jobs and there is surprisingly low turnover. I mean, you could probably get a spot at a Denny's or something but you might as well take a minimum-wage dishwashing job rather than dealing with the shittyness of that job unless you are trying to get job experience.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
pro tip bro, bartending is a lot more then just making dirnks and small talk.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just panhandle at your local stoplight "Need Additional mortgage principal payment to avoid interest, god bless"

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Bartending (as a bartender and not an owner) is also only good money if you're crooked. The game is always that as a bartender you basically give away, overpour, etc customers you know will give you a good tip for that privilege, which is essentially stealing from your employer in exchange for extra tip money. Conundrum is you can get away with this for a long time, but your employer knows(trust me they know), and it limits your future earnings.
Thank you for this. I briefly considered opening bar for fun but came to the conclusion that unless I wanted to live there (I dont!) I would be robbed blind by the bartenders. I remember the bars in college, drink all night and the "cool" bartender gives you a bill for $10 knowing your would tip well. Ouch.

iannis

Musty Nester
Part time bartending sounds like it would be sorta horrible. Even if the money was ok, and even if you could get on somewhere decent, you'd probably be like the one guy in the place with any sort of work ethic. Or maybe one of the two or three.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Khane I would buy a bar, name it Jeers and hire Brendan Frasier to be a frequent visitor. I'm pretty sure the rest will take care of itself.

Kasted_sl

shitlord
If you really want to try bartending, try checking in with some catering companies. You may have to have some experience beforehand, but I'm sure you can get around that. I did catering for 5 years when I lived in the DC area and bartended tons of events such as conventions, weddings, small house parties and such.