Battery operated lawn equipment?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone ever use these type of products mainly a weedeater. I have an $200.00 Echo weedeter that I'm about to throw away cause this is the 3nd time it stopped working on me. I'm tired of constantly pulling on the string to start the damn thing. I was looking at the Ryobi brand and you can interchange the battery with other Ryobi products. Anyone ever used a Ryobi battery operated weed eater?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Battery operated ones now are so much better than previous electrical lawn equipment. I purchased a kobalt trimmer from lowe's and am very pleased with its performance, 100x stronger than the previous corded piece of shit I had. But yeah, not all lithium batteries are the same, check the volts. I went with the kobalt because they too have interchangeable batteries. When I went back to buy a blower they had a black and decker one much cheaper than the kobalt so I thought I'd give it a shot. Thing was about as effective as a hair dryer. Returned it and got the kobalt, which still doesn't seem the blowers have advanced as much as the trimmers have, but it at least gets the job done.

Ryobi, I'm assuming you're getting from the depot of homes, so try it out and if you don't like it return it. Actually just did a quick google search, seems ryobi has 18, 24, and 40v trimmers. Do yourself a favor and just jump into the 40v trimmer, its pretty close to gas powered, the other ones you'll definitely notice a big drop off.

Oh and can verify the 40v trimmers will cut through the fucking vining new orleans st aug grass, the other ones won't without at least a few passes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the tips. My yard is small so an hour worth of battery life is good for me. Will definitely go with a 40v battery and probably get the blower and weed eater set. Yeah the St. Aug grass down here in Nola is a bitch. I'm already fighting trying to get rid of all this torpedo grass in my flower bed. Starting to think are they are building a resistance to Round up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I don't think you'll have any trouble with it. I much prefer the electric over gas powered ones for sure. A lot less to go wrong

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
+1 for battery blower/trimmer. Have used the same ones for years and while they are not as powerful and cool as the recent years models they still work just fine and get the job done without mess in storage.
GreenWorks DigiPro G-MAX 40V 14" Cordless String Trimmer $81.25 + Free Store Pickup
40 volt trimmer for $84 would be all most need unless you are doing lawn care business or whacking down a farm with it each week. Edit- just saw no battery/charger bummer. I was thinking prices must have really gone down.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I wish I could go with battery powered stuff, but I have too many trees, and too big a property. We maintain about six acres of lawn, and then a whole boatload of trails and other spots. No way I could have enough batteries for all that. I stick with gas powered stuff, mostly Husqvarna. Their back-pack blower is awesome.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I have a black and Decker one. It's pretty good, lasts about 45 minutes though.

Ditto, I got the weedwacker blower combo perfect for edging the lawn and cleaning up after lawnwork, can get everything I need to get done on my lawn in 1 battery charge. Have a gas powered blower for serious blowing needs too though.

When wife and I get a larger property i'll switch to all gas powered most likely.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was just thinking of this the other day, because I've gotten my wife other ryobi battery operated products. She wants a weed whacker and so I might supplement it for mothers day on top of what I already got her.

Yes, my wife enjoys mowing the lawn, and enjoys receiving power tools for gifts. Lol

• 2Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Friend of mine does design at Dewalt (B&D) and swears the professional series battery shit is amazing. I know no one that has any, however.

I don't have a grass yard (pea rock) and to blow coconut shit into my neighbor's yard takes gas.

I can say when I finally broke down and got a 20v Dewalt drill it was noticeably better as well as lighter. Love it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Was just thinking of this the other day, because I've gotten my wife other ryobi battery operated products. She wants a weed whacker and so I might supplement it for mothers day on top of what I already got her.

Yes, my wife enjoys mowing the lawn, and enjoys receiving power tools for gifts. Lol

This when a totally different direction than I thought it would when you said you've gotten your wife other ryobi battery operated products.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have both. I use the electric right around the house and it does fine. I use the gas one on the large stuff and bigger areas, the ditch, around the shop, along the tree line and the heavy duty stuff that don't get mowed as often. But the electric works fine on just grass around the house and mailbox and such.

Have a B&D electric one.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This when a totally different direction than I thought it would when you said you've gotten your wife other ryobi battery operated products.
Can you get variable voltage? or is it just all or nothing?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll also throw in a good word for the kobalt battery series. I have the weed eater and mower - Both plenty for my 1/4 acre on one battery charge. Also don't have to deal with gas, oil, maintenance, etc.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I have all the EGO stuff. Mower works great for what I have as a lawn - small front yard in Phoenix area. 56V and no problems on time - roughly an hour depending on length and other factors. Quarter acre lot or bigger might need a couple batteries.