Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Sulrn

Deuces
Neither of those feel like WW1 to me. Looked and played like a shitty reskin with a charge mechanic. I understand trench warfare isn't going to sell too many games, but run and gun mechanics and clearing 5+ shots in the span of a few seconds is a bit absurd. Pacing is way off. Should be about bursts of game play not another arcade shooter.

Where's the sense of danger behind every tree/rock? Where's the overwhelming sense of dread with every step you take?

Dulce et Decorum est
Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.
Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!-An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.-
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,-
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Sulrn

Deuces
You're right, let's just completely ignore a near universal view of the tragedy that was WW1 and make a generic shooter that doesn't stand out at all (beyond Franchise/Publisher flag).

Janx

<Silver Donator>
You're right, let's just completely ignore a near universal view of the tragedy that was WW1 and make a generic shooter that doesn't stand out at all (beyond Franchise/Publisher flag).
So this is the first Battlefield game you've ever seen?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Battlefield games have never been hyper accurate war sims. They are much like arcade racers vs. racing sims. They are inspired by real events, but they play with it a little bit, to greatly increase the fun.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hah!

Oh you aren't joking?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Those iron sights make me want to stab myself in the neck with a boot knife. I put RDS on everything. Even shotguns. Hell, in Quake we'd remove the weapon model entirely.

The only things that stood out as "not a reskinned BF" were the planes and the trench gun. (the shotgun with the bayonet)

Not that it didn't look awesome.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yes, irons are definitely last resort these days. And going back to them is going to be rough. I was kind of hoping for an alternate reality 1914s with some Edwardian tech thrown in myself.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
If you want 'realism' Red Orchestra or Project Reality mod for BF2. This looks like good silly fun. It's the same mechanics of a modern CoD/BF game just Great War-ified.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Isn't this alt WW1 though? So maybe they just aren't in the war or relevant at the point this game takes place.

spronk

FPS noob
Isn't this alt WW1 though? So maybe they just aren't in the war or relevant at the point this game takes place.
is it really alt-WW1? I thought that before E3, but everything i saw at E3 seemed to be just regular WW1

Chris

Potato del Grande
People thought it was alt WW1 because they are uneducated fuck who don't know anything about WW1.

I think the Arab guy on a horse was what was confusing people because WORLD War 1 was just in France!!!

DLC stuff sounds suspicious but those zeppelin crashes gives them the benefit of the doubt.