Battletech

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, think I failed that mission at least 5 times. Is that the one where you've got like 8 ammo dumps nearby and you've gotta keep 6 (if you wanna get paid max)?

BTW, I'm loving the Stalker, especially on colder planets. Jeezus. It just seems like It's my one shot solution for anything. Wanna take a mech down? Use the Stalker. Wanna destroy a mech? Use the Stalker.

Of course, that's what having 6 missile HP and 6 Laser HP will get you.

Last edited:

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
How many MG ammo do you put in it?
Just one ton. Thats 6 full volleys and most of a 7th, which what with one thing and another is generally all you will get the chance to use. I've only ever run out of MG ammo maybe twice, and if you do manage to run out the enemy team as a whole is so trashed by that point that you can just fart on them to win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thanks. I just got that Mech on a mission last night, and was fiddling with 7xML, 3xSL, 3xMG. Just hit refit and logged off, was thinking after if 6xMG is going to be better.

Pretty sure I will swap it out for my Jagger with 3xAC5. The sniper is nice, but I think it probably has the least effect of the field.

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I'd say the 6 MGs are better due to heat issues. The grasshopper runs pretty hot, and 3 more small lasers adding heat I think will push it over the edge, especially in warm biomes. Even with all MGs I'm giving serious consideration to stealing a double heatsink from my highlander for it.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yah, think I failed that mission at least 5 times. Is that the one where you've got like 8 ammo dumps nearby and you've gotta keep 6 (if you wanna get paid max)?

BTW, I'm loving the Stalker, especially on colder planets. Jeezus. It just seems like It's my one shot solution for anything. Wanna take a mech down? Use the Stalker. Wanna destroy a mech? Use the Stalker.

Of course, that's what having 6 missile HP and 6 Laser HP will get you.
I can't remember the story for what we were doing. But you're assaulting up a mountain and have something like 15 turns to destroy 3-4 generators. I just grasshoppered up the hill and nuked them all in 6-7 turns while my heavies dealt with the enemy mechs and slowly advanced up the road.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I can't remember the story for what we were doing. But you're assaulting up a mountain and have something like 15 turns to destroy 3-4 generators. I just grasshoppered up the hill and nuked them all in 6-7 turns while my heavies dealt with the enemy mechs and slowly advanced up the road.
Goishen- The ammo dump one is one of the earlier story missions. The one people multi-failed is a late story mission about relieving a famine. (ok, people failed the ammo dump one some too, but not as much).

Assaulting up the mountain was the second-last story mission to take down the guns so your side could neutralize all Buttfaces' dropships.

My current lance, although I'm not sold on the Atlas 2 yet-
Atlas 2 Ranger.png
Grasshopper Assassin.png
Highlander Gauss.png
Highlander LRM60.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I run around in the Grasshopper, helps insure against accidents if I totally fuck up. The Highlander missile boat should have a Comm ++ in the head, just havent transferred it from my old Orion missile boat yet.

Evernothing

I'm currently running:

• SLDF Highlander - not sold, it's so slow, but I guess it's multi-pupose
  • LRM Stalker - 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15, seems great so far, way more armour than my Kintaro had
  • ML/MG Grasshopper - This mech is amazing, as you said. You can 1-2 shot core anything out there. Mine tends to take a major beating though!
  • Orion - 2xAC10 and SRM6s. I might go to 1xAC20 though

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Ahhh, yeh. I had problems with that one, too. What I did is take my Highlander and hauled balls towards the second and the third generators. I ended up shooting the last generator with one turn left and she was the last to move.

I''m liking the King Crab. Especially since the time that I saw it, it was a heat inefficient machine. Same way with Atlas', overheating constantly.

I dunno what it is, but whenever I take my Banshee out, it's a big fucking target. It's pathetic. Maybe that'll change now that I've gotta another Highlander.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think ac20 is the way to go. On paper the 10s are good but seem underwhelming in practice.

Since i chain knockdown things my lrm boats are not all 15/20s. Since that is way overkill on doing 0 to full stability and letting a tickle finish the.. lets me max armor/ammo or play with some small weapons when i end up meleeing on rare occasion.

Evernothing

Yeah, with the AC/20 it would make a better replacement for my Hunchback, which is what I dropped for it.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
AC20's are great when they hit.

I'd rather have two shots at getting some damage in, any damage, rather than one big shot.

Sludig

But 2 shots via ac 10 is grossly weight inneficient, given most people are precise shooting you have a better chance to split damage.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
As Sludig has said, the AC/10s are really bad from a min/max perspective.

You can nearly run two AC/5s and do 90 damage instead of 60.

10s are still terrifying from an rng to the cockpit of an unbraced mech standpoint, but that's really it.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
You know, I have been totally ignoring Stalkers having never been impressed by them, to the point I have a grand total of 1 Stalker part in storage. I'll see about actually completing one to see if it makes a better missile boat than my current Highlander LRM60, or if I think theres too much tradeoff for LRM70 on the Stalker.

The SLDF Highlander isnt that slow- its jumpjets help a lot. My missile boat Highlander is fairly slow, but it doesnt need to be fast since it just has to be in the same zipcode as the fight.

My Grasshopper does get shot at a lot, but with 5 evasion and more than its fair share of vigilance and reserving its turn to get max use out of its evasion and vigilance its not generally a problem. ie- it almost never eats structural damage (except for the rare intentional overheat) unless I have bad luck and something large survives its intended death long enough to punch me. It general serves a dual purpose of assassin AND bait to draw fire.

I tried an Orion with 1 AC10 and 3 SRM6+++ but it was too slow to get into range of its SRMs reliably before its armor was under threat, and it promptly overheated to death when it did so I dropped it from the lineup. I havent tried a 2 AC10 version.

I have a dual AC20 version of an Atlas, but I prefer the AC10/LRM20 version for the Atlas 2. I find that the AC20 version takes waaaaay too long to get into range to start using them and youre fighting a man down till it does, which is... inconvenient... The longrange loadout gets it firing quickly.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If you get a chance, I'd say go Stalker all the way. Get SRM missile boat and load it up with as many ML as you want to. I mean, it's literally my one shot solution to any problem, with a called shot. The only downside is that after I've blown my load (meaning an alpha strike) on anything besides a polar planet, it has to cool down some. So that means I can either not shoot all of my weapons or I can melee them. What I usually do there is just melee the guy, because that'll drop my heat anyway.

Then when they are down on the ground, they're freakin' toast.

Sludig

You know, I have been totally ignoring Stalkers having never been impressed by them, to the point I have a grand total of 1 Stalker part in storage. I'll see about actually completing one to see if it makes a better missile boat than my current Highlander LRM60, or if I think theres too much tradeoff for LRM70 on the Stalker.

The SLDF Highlander isnt that slow- its jumpjets help a lot. My missile boat Highlander is fairly slow, but it doesnt need to be fast since it just has to be in the same zipcode as the fight.

My Grasshopper does get shot at a lot, but with 5 evasion and more than its fair share of vigilance and reserving its turn to get max use out of its evasion and vigilance its not generally a problem. ie- it almost never eats structural damage (except for the rare intentional overheat) unless I have bad luck and something large survives its intended death long enough to punch me. It general serves a dual purpose of assassin AND bait to draw fire.

I tried an Orion with 1 AC10 and 3 SRM6+++ but it was too slow to get into range of its SRMs reliably before its armor was under threat, and it promptly overheated to death when it did so I dropped it from the lineup. I havent tried a 2 AC10 version.

I have a dual AC20 version of an Atlas, but I prefer the AC10/LRM20 version for the Atlas 2. I find that the AC20 version takes waaaaay too long to get into range to start using them and youre fighting a man down till it does, which is... inconvenient... The longrange loadout gets it firing quickly.

My Stalker uses the 4 slots to allow some smaller LRM's, combined with a multishot pilot, it's nice to be able to still go 0-100 stability on one target while using the lrm 10 to finish something off stability or just dmg wise.

I dont have a atlas yet. I finally got a crab, and currently is my AC20 boat. With my main dude in it, I get suprisingly close to fights in good time, unlike my brawler highlander I think I'll drop back down to a grasshopper.

Sludig

Finally got to generator mission, wtf crazy easy with 5/6 rounds left. No real resistance just alpha everything. Would have been a few rounds quicker except I assumed the turrets self powered because the target ones were supposed to be for the air batteries. No real opposition, just alpha everything. Was a pucker moment thinking the dropship was landing on my king crab but just barely didnt. Had ran king crab to go get 3rd while rest did second. So he was in prime position after enemy movements on my left 3 dudes, to just ac20 the jager in the back. while the others melted the others.

Enjoying some of the special pilots you can rarely hire. Paradise is a faggot, but ones like Varigan are hilarious. PUSHING ALL DA BUTTONS.

• 1Like