Beating web filters

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What I do is run a squid proxy on my a_skeleton_03.org server and the military doesn't seem to stop it.

I also run guacamole (html5 vnc/ssh/rdp server) and have several desktops there I can access. It's a "website" so it's all port 80.

Can you elaborate how I would go about doing this? I am on a military network and life would be nice if I could remote to my home computer.

ELI5

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
If they're doing HTTP/HTTPS injection, but allowing ping egress, you could set up an ICMP tunnel to your home computer or AWS or something.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A trick I use with varying results is using Google Translate. I basically translate the website url from one language to another and for whatever reason most firewalls don't pick up on it. I know this method worked with sonicwall and more recently bluecoat. You may get weird formatting, but for a text based website it really never bothered me.

Try it with this site, it's pretty much garbage. I think it strips out all the CSS. If i'd been there for a 2 week hitch, I probably would have gotten desperate enough to use that method. Google mobilizer did the same thing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Use google to translate the page youre wanting to visit. Any language into english.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I always used tunnelbear chrome add-on when they cracked down at work.

Never once had any issues until we moved from RR to FoH again.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I always used tunnelbear chrome add-on when they cracked down at work.

Never once had any issues until we moved from RR to FoH again.

What broke it when we moved here?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm not sure, we were labeled as "games" when ON RR, it went for about a year with no issues before it got filtered. Then we switched to FoH and it was wide open again.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
OK. Well thanks for the input everyone. I have some things to try next time.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Download Cyberghost VPN for free. You'll be encrypted to some random server in California and then forwarded to your destination so they shouldn't know/see it to be able to block it unless they are crafty.

I got the pro version in a Humble Bundle and use it to test my firewall/dns from the outside, but the free version works too, even on android.

Last edited:

Kiki

Log Wizard
There is an app for everything, ipad, android, pc, etc. So no matter what you are using you'll be encrypted even if you are tethered. It's not the fastest thing in the world however for streaming video (just trying out the free version) but it is serviceable.