Bedbugs - A story

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Normally I would not share stuff about my personal life but I'm so furious right now that I'm going to give a cautionary tale.

Last year I went on a skiing trip with my brother to Banff and we stayed in a chalet there. I had heard the stories about bedbugs and problems with them then and I showed him how to do a basic check of mattresses, wooden cracks, and crevices in hotel rooms. I then went on to explain to him if you see one generally you have an infestation and you don't want to bring those cocksuckers back with you. I'd heard nightmare stories about them being brought back in clothes and luggage.

So we have a fun weekend skiing it passes without incident.

Fast forward to August, I decide to visit him at his house and spend a week there doing some sightseeing around the city he lives in. While I'm there he gets a call from a friend looking for a place to stay since he has been laid off (I was not made aware of this till after he moved in). He tells him he could stay at his place for a month. So one evening while i'm out he visits his friend and moves him in to an extra bedroom. I meet the guy when I get back to the house and notice that he has a row of what looks to be bites on his arm. He waves of it off and says he got bitten by mosquito's.

So my vacation ends and I pack up and head back home, and this morning get a call from my Brother. Apparently as his friend was moving out my brother noticed something small and brown on his spare bed that his buddy had been sleeping on. Then he lifted the mattress as I told him and found a huge colony of them in between the mattress and boxspring. His friend had already left he called him and he said something to the lines of they must have already been there. He is now not answering his calls. My brother just now mentioned to me when moving in he saw them at his friends old place and his friend said they were all dead. My bro bought this and STILL let him move all he shit in and now I have to go though all my shit because I could have them.

Who the fuck sees a bedbug and buys the excuse that they are all dead... His friend is an asshole and my brother is a moron and I might have bedbugs. FUCK.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Goodnight, sleep tight,
don't let the bedbugs bite.
If they do, grab a shoe,
and whack them 'til they're
black and blue.

/thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought bedbugs were essentially microscopic dust mites and the like that can't really be seen by the human eye?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are small, but you can see them if you look close. I saw them on a show once.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Amazon.com: Sleep Defense System - Waterproof / Bed Bug Proof Mattress Encasement - 60-Inch by 80-Inch, Queen: Home Kitchen

i use that brand for dustmites (wife is allergic), the one linked is for bedbugs, even if you WTF fuck my old bed and get a new one, it might get infected cuz bedbugs will hide in other places so "encase" your bed now (and boxspring)

Don't forget your pillows too and take AWAY your luggage, like most ppl you probably store your luggage under your bed or worse in your closet.

There was a bedbug scare in NY a few years ago, helped my family get through it, no bugs!

Once you buy the encasements, get these leg traps
Amazon.com : Bed Bug ClimbUp? Interceptors (pack of 12) passive traps for bed legs : Insect Traps : Patio, Lawn Garden

basically no bedbugs can transfer from the room to your bed (unless you leave like your blanket on the floor)

Other than that, wash everything and put every piece of cloth in the dryer (to fry those fuckers) (like dolls and shit, and stupid throw pillows)

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Thanks those passive traps are interesting, as long as your bedding does not reach the floor in the middle of the night.

I'm getting a bedbug dog to come by tomorrow, I don't see anything but I'm not taking any chances.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Never had to deal with them myself, but a good friend did while travelling SE Asia. Years later after I went to hike Machu Picchu in Peru, I came back to Alberta and stayed at his place in Calgary because we were going to do an avalanche awareness course in Canmore. I had a fair number of bug bites on my arms and legs from the Peru hike, and as soon as he saw them he wanted me the fuck out of his house and was likely thinking about getting a jerry can to burn my shit with. Like, he was angry and terrified at the same time. Thankfully they really were just bug bites, not from bed bugs, and all was well.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They did an investigative report not too long ago on some TV show where they hired a bunch of bed bug sniffing dogs in a house with known bedbugs and another without and the results were about even. Half indicated bedbugs where there were none and half missed the ones that were there.

Also the guys who showed up with the dogs were pretty shady as well with lots of upcharges for shit that didn't have anything to do with getting rid of bedbugs.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had to deal with some as part of my move (presumably one of the hotels on the move down had a few we picked up in the luggage - the one and only time I will ever use cheap hotels in my life - no idea if the odds of getting some will be lower with the expensive ones, but it was the first time I cheaped out and got bedbugs so... fuck it, I'm going back to spending a bit from now on... since we did 4 days of different hotels to split up the drive we don't even have a specific one to yell at) - kept trying to handle it myself rather than just getting an exterminator and while many of the methods (diatomaceous earth, etc) did reduce them enough to have them under control a while we'd always end up seeing another a week or so later.

Exterminator wasn't cheap, but it was a one and done thing - apparently he was worried about having to deal with them again, but going on around 7 months since he treated and still not seen another yet.

But yea, don't fuck with the things, and the passive treatment like was shown earlier (used the exact interceptors and similar but different brand mattress/box spring cover x2) did keep them away from the bed barring dragging bedding while we were getting the problem finally annihilated - but anything beyond that, get a professional.

And on the bedbug dogs - considering how much odor the damn things have - I'm shocked they're that hit or miss. The ones that sniff electronics and drugs seem to be considered amazingly successful, and bedbug odor is pretty noticeable once you've dealt with them.

But again, don't let the problem spiral at all - one of the worst experiences of my life.

Valechec_sl

shitlord
When I moved into the place I currently live, the landlord neglected to tell me that the apartment next to mine had had an infestation of these. So, in the process of trying to kill them all in the other apartment, they moved into my apartment and probably all of the others in the building. Took a good three months to actually get rid of the things with the landlord trying everything in the book besides getting an exterminator. Worst three months of my life. Got next to no sleep because of the little bastards biting me and I still flip my shit if I'm in bed and it feels like something is crawling on me. Ended up finding a massive infestation of them behind the baseboard in my bedroom. And yes, they're quite visible to the naked eye, they're not really that small. Ended up getting a few scars on my feet from where they'd bitten me between shoes and the itching.

My suggestion, if you find one, get them taken care of right away.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And yes, they're quite visible to the naked eye, they're not really that small.
for future reference
bed_bug_mattress_corner.jpg

(i never saw one irl, just googled the image when we had that ny bedbug scare and thats when i noped the fuck out and bought encasements and traps for the whole family)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
for future reference
bed_bug_mattress_corner.jpg

(i never saw one irl, just googled the image when we had that ny bedbug scare and thats when i noped the fuck out and bought encasements and traps for the whole family)
From the ones I saw, those would be "medium" - there were ones much smaller and ones up to about twice as large I'd seen. The small ones I could barely see, and my vision is very, very good.

Khane

They did an investigative report not too long ago on some TV show where they hired a bunch of bed bug sniffing dogs in a house with known bedbugs and another without and the results were about even. Half indicated bedbugs where there were none and half missed the ones that were there.

Also the guys who showed up with the dogs were pretty shady as well with lots of upcharges for shit that didn't have anything to do with getting rid of bedbugs.
I believe everything you say. You believe everything you've ever heard. It's magical how successful you are because you literally are the dumbest person I've ever had the privelege of listening to explain their opinions.

No really Borzak. You're a fucking moron.

EDIT: I'm going to leave the original post. But I don't actually mean that. I'm letting my political dissonance polarize my opinion of you in other areas of the forum. Original post was uncalled for but I won't erase it because that's pussy shit. But I do think you post too many opinions with "I read an article that I'm not going to reference".

Khane

I posted the edit while he was posting his reference. You win this round Borzak.