Beer Brewing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So any of you into brewing beer? I used to be heavily into it in the late 90s, I probably brewed well over 30+ batches back then. This was still with the internet in its infancy, and although some stuff was out there, info wise, recipes, most of the knowledge came from books and magazines. Started off with thee extracts, but then quickly got into the all grain stuff because of prices.

Anyway, I slowly amassed a whole bunch of equipment, 8 galling boiling pot, another one to heat up strike water, high pressure propane burner, wart chiller..the Home Cheapo coolers for mashing, and although I started with bottling my beer, probably like every one did, I eventually stepped up into 5 gal corny kegs with a Co2 system to run it. But then the wife came, then the kids quickly after that and it pretty much sat in the basement for the better part of 20 yrs.

So one day last week my 18 yr old stated asking about it, and showing some interest so I figure now would be a god time to dust all the shit off and start brewing some beers again now that my sons are old enough to maybe enjoy a beer here and there. Looking over the shit though, I would have to repurchase some of the plastic shit like siphon, racking tubes, vinyl tubing, probably new seals for the kegs new regulator for co2, new regulator for the burner... Shit like that. Plus probably replace those old mash coolers I was using back then because they are pretty gross.

Anyway would like to get back into it, maybe share this shit with my kids, and hopefully someday they set off on making their own stuff.

20200112_214547.jpg

20200112_214608 (2).jpg

Now of course all this shit would need to be scrubbed hard, its been sitting in the basement for the better part of 20 yrs. But dont look at the dirt, but the potential. :D

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Recommend an electric rig -- digiboil, robobrew, mash & boil, or grainfather if you want one and done (except sparge water).

Dry yeast is good now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah maybe one day, but probably gonna stick to what I got for now. I was checking out that robobrew though, seems like a solid deal for $300.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I started brewing a year or so ago with my neighbor, and really started to enjoy it. I personally never bottled because it seemed like a huge pain in the ass, so I just kegged them all the time and bought myself a kegerator. I think we probably did about 12 batches or so, but never moved up to all grain just due to laziness of learning, so always did extract. Then I went on keto and have sort of put it on hold.

My plan is to start brewing again probably this summer and I'm seriously considering a robobrew. There is a local supply place here and the manager is super nice and was going to try and get me a good deal on a refurbished one. I haven't been there in months though, so we'll see.

Oh, and here is a pic of my very first batch when it was fermenting. Came home and couldn't figure out why the entire house smelled like booze. Wife was not happy with me

1578887104943.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah bottling was a pain. First was collecting the bottles, which was not bad in of itself, because all the good bottling bottles were pretty much craft brews. So I bough a lot and drank a lot. But then the cleaning, the sanitizing, meh. If it wasnt for the kegging thing, I probably would of stopped after the first few brews I did. The kegs themselves were not that expensive back in the day. I think I got my 3 off of ebay for like $60? or some shit? I see now they are way more.

Also watching some vods on this shit these days, they seemed to simplify the whole mash process pretty drastically. Back then it was all about the step mashing, mashing in at at like 148f or so, then stepping this up to 154f for a while then sparging with a sparging arm which used to drip hot water for like 30 min. Some even did protein rests at 120F. But I never did those. Anyway most seem to do batch sparging now which seems so easy compared to the method I was using. Plus they only use one temp for a hour to mash. Usually the low 150s. Or high 140s for the dry stuff.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Looks like a new Star Wars character. May the wort be with you.

Goldilocks meets Yoda

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Was actually going to look to see if we had one a while back and never got to it. Used to help my dad brew but I never really asked him about the microbiology behind it. Want to start making small batches on the stove till I can move up to 10-15 gallon batches hopefully. I had built a stainless conical fermenter as a welding fabrication project a few years back In welding school, and I want to put that to use.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was actually going to look to see if we had one a while back and never got to it. Used to help my dad brew but I never really asked him about the microbiology behind it. Want to start making small batches on the stove till I can move up to 10-15 gallon batches hopefully. I had built a stainless conical fermenter as a welding fabrication project a few years back In welding school, and I want to put that to use.

Damn I wish I had the skills to do that. SS fermenters like that are expensive. Plus these days the fad is to pressure ferment lagers at room temps (1-2 bars) I guess it shortens to lagering process and the pressure diminishes the off flavors of the yeast while fermenting at those high temps. They are getting lagers from brew ketle to keg in like 2 weeks instead of 3-4 months with awesome results. And of course I would not risk pressure fermenting in a glass carboy.

How much for you to build me one? :p

Last edited:

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Just bought a kit and small batch equipment from northern brewing to get back into it. Once I move i can get something set up for the bigger equipment.

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
I have been brewing since the early 90's. Have friends that own breweries or are pro brewers and all have loved my beers. Wife wants me to start one but I think there are way too many around. I am kegging 10 gallons of Imperial IPA this weekend. Have a stout fermenting and a pumpkin and pale ale just waiting for me to get off my ass to brew. All grain is the way to go for sure! Love the Stainless Steel fermenters. Next step is probably an all electric system.

Grain.jpg

Kegs n fermentors.jpg

Kettle.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
I have been brewing since the early 90's. Have friends that own breweries or are pro brewers and all have loved my beers. Wife wants me to start one but I think there are way too many around. I am kegging 10 gallons of Imperial IPA this weekend. Have a stout fermenting and a pumpkin and pale ale just waiting for me to get off my ass to brew. All grain is the way to go for sure! Love the Stainless Steel fermenters. Next step is probably an all electric system.

View attachment 308691

View attachment 308692

View attachment 308693

Attachments

• 11804639.jpg
    11804639.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 7

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So my wife was at some store and she spotted a 15 gal pot for $60. She picked it up as a good wife would! Its aluminum, so not the preferred SS, but it will do the job. Its thick as fuck too, probably 5-6 mils thick. Going to become my new brew kettle.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
yeah

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
Totally safe but some "purists" will say it might impart some "off flavors". With that said. I started out with a small 3 gallon SS pot. In the early 90's, home brew, was pretty much all about the "syrup" you could get.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I started in late 90s and more and more syrups were available and all grain became more common among home brewers. We had such things as light syrups, dark syrups and even wheat syrups too made by probably 3-4 different companies. I was also lucky to have 2 great places that sold all this shit including some great wyeast, freezers and fridges full of whole hops, and specialty grains of all sorts to flavor those syrups a bit more.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Been brewing on and off for 5 years. Had a kegerator at last house for normal store bought kegs and we transitioned it over to self filled home brew kegs. I would never do it without a kegerator. FUCK bottling. All the cleaning, capping, and extra time to have beer isn't worth it. The only down side is limitation in sharing beer with others, but some modern growlers partially solve that.

I have never done full grain brewing. I buy kits when on sale from Northern Brewer. $15-25 a kit cant be beat.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You should try it. Way more control over the final product. And if you buy the grain in bulk it's way cheaper as well. $40-$60 per 50lb bag. And typical beer is around 10-12lbs per 5 gal. But this takes some additional equipment/investment.

• 1Like