Beginner/casual golf clubs?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Golf is only fun until you try to be good at it. Embrace the suck or be prepared to go broke trying to win. It's a really ingenious way to extract money from people.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Go to the range, a lot. After you've gone to the range, go back to the range.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
About a year ago I decided to GIT GUD at golf for work. I had some hella old Callaways I was playing w ith and probably played 10x in 2021 and played decently. Mostly bc I would Frankenstein my grip, stance, and swing to compensate for being bad. Then I took a lesson...and I got real bad.

So, of course I make the wise decision to go buy $2600 worth of new Callaway Mavericks and GIT REALLY GUD. However, since now I'm trying to "play right" I'm so bad...like so so bad. Like +25 on nine holes last week bad. Every single shot I hit went the same way, right. So, I guess atleast I'm consistent?

So yeah, golf is super fun for me right now and it's not like I'm not atheletic. I was a scholarship athelete in college and I still work out like 3-4x a week. But, holy shit golf is hard. It's even worse than boxing was where you're bad for the first 2-3 weeks until your brain figures out the combos. Golf is like advanced calculus.

I just watched 2 hours of golf instructing videos and there are some main things I'm going to work on:

1. Keeping my lead arm straight on the backswing
2. Rotating my hips and not my legs/back on the backswing
3. Work my lead arm inside against my chest on the foreswing

I have notes on like 10 things, but I think these could help me the most in the interrum. Mainly because every gd ball I hit sails right or dribbles forward and to the right bc I elbow it.

Anyways, dear diary, yadda yadda.

[edit] LMAO product review thread?? Jesus. I searched golf threads and this was the only thread titled semi-appropriately. @Amod feel free to move this somewhere more appropriate.

Try not to overthink things too much. Golf is more of a mental struggle than a physical one honestly.

If you're going to take lessons you should probably take a block of at least 10. One lesson here or there will likely only make you overthink and get worse. Which I think you're already seeing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Try not to overthink things too much. Golf is more of a mental struggle than a physical one honestly.

If you're going to take lessons you should probably take a block of at least 10. One lesson here or there will likely only make you overthink and get worse. Which I think you're already seeing.

I think you're right in one sense. But, I also think goin from a form that is garbage from compensating to a proper form is one of those "it gets worse before it gets better" sort of things maybe.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ya it can easily gets worse before it gets better.

Swinging a golf club is just sort of unnatural, until it isn't. And what usually happens for amateurs is they go to a lesson, get some advice and concentrate on trying to practice it while not realizing other parts of the swing are breaking down because of how much they are focusing on one or two aspects from one lesson.

That's where the money comes in. Brutul is right about trying to get good being expensive. Even without lessons its an activity you usually have to pay for even to practice.

I just don't think lessons are worth it at all unless you take a bunch of them within a reasonable time frame. If you're going take a lesson here and there you may as well just stick to online resources and save yourself some money.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think going to the range and just smacking the fuck out of a lot of balls is going to be the fastest way to really improve and build muscle memory. It's all about repetition, and it's the most efficient way to get a lot of swings in. It will also let you practice form in a way that it doesn't matter at all what the results are, so you can just focus on your swing.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
It's also useful to play with a variety of people at different skill levels. While playing with veterans can be nice - as they can give you tips - it also can get extremely frustrating if you are consistently not competing.

EDIT: also, don't buy clubs online without trying them. Most Dick's have a room in the back where you can hit a few balls to get a feel for what you like. I tried a bunch of different clubs in the price-range I had in mind and then went home and ordered them for considerably less. If you're an absolute noobie, you can hit drives with a 3 wood until you can consistently hit it straight. A bigass driver overemphasizes the flaws in your swing.

Last edited:

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
So I will be looking for new clubs. I am in my third season of playing this highly addictive game and the beginner clubs Steady got me, which I still treasure, are starting to have some issues. I drive fairly well, my 6 iron is my friend, and am working hard on my short game - love to get the up and downs and have chipped in for par or birdie often enough that it makes me want to play another round. He got me a new chipper but I could really use an upgrade on the rest of my clubs. Do any of the other women here play or any women you know well and do they have a preference (I love the game but I also am not spending a thousand dollars...).

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
gof.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user