Belgians visiting USA: NYC, SF and national parks

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The girlfriend and I are planning a 3 week holiday in the US, coming next June. The plan at the moment is to fly to NYC, spend one week there, then fly to San Fransisco, rent a mobile home and then spend 2 weeks driving around the West: Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, then maybe up to Yellowstone if time permits, ending back in SF.

I've been to Seattle, Chicago and LA before and my girlfriend studied one year at LeHigh, so the US isn'tthatforeign to us.

One thing we noted on our previous travels is that Americans are reallyhorribleat Dutch, so we'll already brushing up on the local languages: Spanish and Navajo.

Kidding. My Spanish sucks.

Any useful tips anyone could share, especially about renting a mobile home and roaming the West? Appreciated.
Also, did they catch that guy from The Hitcher yet?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
One thing we noted on our previous travels is that Americans are reallyhorribleat Dutch
Not just Americans. You should hear my wife (she's Belgian) laugh at me when I try to speak Flemish. I'm sure that I sound out the words about as well as a two-year-old.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like a pretty amazing vacation. I would be worried about driving a mobile home through SF though!

DiddleySquat

We're probably staying in SF for about 2 days before moving on. The mobile home indeed won't be needed until we leave.
Just read on a rental site that "Vehicles may be operated with EXTREME CARE in Death Valley and other desert areas during the months of July and August. In Summer, renters visit these areas at their own risk..."
So, free camper to pick up in Death Valley at the end of June. We'll leave addresses you can send our remains to, if you would be so kind.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lingo tip, ask about renting an RV or motorhome. If you say mobile home it conjurs up images of these.

mobilehome1.jpg

Kaosu

Whatever vehicles you rent, make sure the tires are in good condition. Nothing is worse than being stuck in the middle of death valley with a flat tire. Or three. Personal experience.

Jovec

?
If you are not used to an RV then I'm not sure I would rent one. If you aren't the outdoors type (sound like you are though) you can rent a hotel room within easy driving distance (a few minutes to a few hours) for all the places you mention. Rent a car and you won't have to deal with driving an RV. You could even rent a SUV, buy a pair of lightweight sleeping bags ($20-$30 ea) and food/drink, and spend an easy night outdoors camping between hotel stays.

If you do rent an RV and intend to use RV campgrounds located at national parks, many will require advance permits.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you do rent an RV and intend to use RV campgrounds located at national parks, many will require advance permits.
Not to mention pretty expensive for a nights stay in a park and during summer most of the rv slots are pretty much booked unless you do it in advanced.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To add to the discouragement pile, California roads in the places you are talking about are curvy with extreme elevation changes and massive dropoffs if you fuck up. I wouldn't drive to Yosemite unless I was a very experienced RV driver.

DiddleySquat

Ok, now that is useful info. I haven't driven an RV in my life. The initial plan was to rent a car and then find lodgings every night, but all the National Parks' websites talk about making reservations months in advance. I just checked the Yosemite website and they're talking about "book your camp site 5 months in advance" and "at the first come first serve camps sites, be there at 8:30 AM or you won't have a spot!". Not exactly the stress free road trip we were hoping for. The idea was to keep some flexibility in our itinerary by using an RV.
If you are not used to an RV then I'm not sure I would rent one. If you aren't the outdoors type (sound like you are though) you can rent a hotel room within easy driving distance (a few minutes to a few hours) for all the places you mention. Rent a car and you won't have to deal with driving an RV. You could even rent a SUV, buy a pair of lightweight sleeping bags ($20-$30 ea) and food/drink, and spend an easy night outdoors camping between hotel stays.
I'm not the camping type either, but my GF spent 3 weeks traveling around Iceland this summer so she is. Your idea to camp inbetween hotel stays sound good though.

Question: how hard is it to find a hotel/motel room just outside the national parks? And are reservations needed in June? Staying there for the night and visiting the parks during the day would work fine.

Much appreciated already.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Rent a nice SUV buy a cooler when you get state side and just enjoy your drive. You can find plenty of cheap and clean hotels on the outskirts of places if you are willing to trade 10 min commute time for a 30 min commute time to a park or city.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Those national park websites like to exaggerate somewhat. You might have trouble finding a place to stay during holidays, but typically not otherwise. In terms of driving, once you get out of California everything will be flat and straight. Keep to the interstates, however, as many of the highways in the southwest are almost entirely isolated from the world and will offer no services.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The roads going to an coming from National parks in California can go over some very steep terrain. Unless you are sticking to the San Joaquin valley, the deserts or LA you will be going over hills of varying grades, some pretty damn steep. The big national park campgrounds actually do fill up for most of the summer (Yosemite and the beach parks especially) however there are tons of campgrounds near the bigger parks that sit empty.

If you are still leaning towards renting an RV there are compact RV's you could rent. They are basically full sized trucks with a camper/rv built into them. Cruise America rents themhttp://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/ou...ompact_rv.aspx. I must admit their decals they spray their RV's with are pretty ugly though.

Dyvim

Not just Americans. You should hear my wife (she's Belgian) laugh at me when I try to speak Flemish. I'm sure that I sound out the words about as well as a two-year-old.
Just both could just settle on the middle ground and start speaking africaans, would make a good laugh or two as well.
wink.png

Back to OP:
Thanks for not pestering Europe with your "mobile homes" in the summer like so many of your folks do year after year.
Since your not keen on driving one in the US i'd recommend an ordinary rent a car deal, should book them in advance though. Also double check on the tires. (Had a flat tire in northern appalachian region, aka hilly billy mountains once, was no fun also additional bullshit with Hertz to not bill us with the replacement tire)
Its really no hassle to find a good and not expensive motel anywhere in the states.
Also Death Valley is known for having +50?C in the summer and i would not recommend to drive through with (basically) just a tin can on wheels (natives call it "Ford" though).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rent a nice SUV buy a cooler when you get state side and just enjoy your drive. You can find plenty of cheap and clean hotels on the outskirts of places if you are willing to trade 10 min commute time for a 30 min commute time to a park or city.
This 10000x. For example the Grand Canyon is only an hour away from Flagstaff(and a lot of other nice places to visit are nearby oak creek canyon/slide rock, meteor crater, antelope canyon, monument valley) which is overflowing with cheap lodging. Unless you actually plan on hiking down into the canyon itself and spending time there, you really dont gain anything by staying at the Grand Canyon.

Big thing to keep in mind is that big ticket places like Yellowstone, Yosemite etc. are tourist traps. So if you do stay there youre going to be paying a lot extra for food/lodging than you would if you went 30-40 minutes down the road.

Cybsled

Question: how hard is it to find a hotel/motel room just outside the national parks? And are reservations needed in June? Staying there for the night and visiting the parks during the day would work fine.
Reservation need is based on proximity. Keep in mind the American West is pretty damned big. For instance, if you goto the Grand Canyon on the Arizona side of it, you have a town just outside the park entrance and there is another one like an hour away (the hour away one was sketchy lol). We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express outside the Canyon and it was decent rates and like a 1 minute drive to the park entrance. The sooner you book, the better. Just do your research
wink.png

Just remember that all the kids get out of school in Late June, so many families tend to plan their vacations around late June and going into July (August too, but it's not like how August is in Europe vacation wise). It's also going to be hot as fuck that time of year if you're going to be around Nevada/Arizona/etc, so plan accordingly as well for that (clothes, water, etc). Death Valley isn't a joke either in Summer, esp if you're in a RV.

NYC you can do car rental free pretty much. SF also has decent public transit (when BART isn't striking...have a contingency plan in place!). Driving in SF isn't as bad as NYC, although parking still sucks. You may want to rent a car anyways so you can check out some of the semi-nearby Redwood Forests and so you can avoid taking transit through Oakland ;P

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
BART won't be on strike for a while. They signed a three or four year contract to end the most recent strike. Renting a car in SF is a really, really bad idea. I can get to a lot of places faster by walking. Traffic is terrible, parking is impossible and expensive, and you don't get to enjoy the city's sights and architecture as much when you're stressing out trying to navigate the hills and Market St.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just be aware of how far you are planning on driving. Some europeans come over to the states, plan a road trip and are then all like "wtf america is fucking huge".