Silver Baronet of the Realm
giphy.gif

tumblr_p25bjvfDxm1wstc5to2_400.gif

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I love me some action flicks. It's what my dad raised me on. I don't really compare films directly, but rather films from the same main character: Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone, Mel Gibson, Van Damme, Seagal, Kurt Russell, Chuck Norris...

Such as Predator vs Commando... Commando is far and away a better action film, but Predator is a much better film overall, if that makes sense. Commando is just non-stop, relentless action, explosions, every line in the movie is fuckin quotable (let off some steam, Bennett; fuck you asshole, no fuck YOU asshole; please don't wake my friend he's dead tired; you're a funny guy that's why I'm going to kill you last; remember when I said I'd kill you last? I lied). To further my argument, whenever you think of a guy getting suited and booted for battle, you might think Stallone in Rambo, sticking the knife in his boot, tightening his headband - Commando goes full out, boots, face paint, grenades, several machine guns, a fucking M202 four chamber rocket launcher! Running Man is also a stellar film with a ton of action and quotable lines, but it feels dated. Mind you, I watch these films regularly, and makes me want a 90's thread just so I can mention True Lies.

Die Hard is definitely Bruce Willis' best. Quotable lines, probably the best villain out of the entire lineup.

I recently watched Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, and neither holds up. And made me wonder how we missed that Mel Gibson was a total fucking nutcase, or maybe we just accepted it back then. LW4 is the only one that I can still watch more than once a decade. Fuckin Sam Jackson, but it doesn't qualify here.

Bloodsport is the best Van Damme film. Not very quotable, but has a memorable villain and the machismo is high.

Rambo 2 (1985), I'm very surprised this hasn't been mentioned. I'd exclude Rambo 1 though since it's not the same category of action, especially since only one person dies. Rambo III (1988) is also fun, but the least memorable/re-watch able. It's a shame Rocky II is outside the decade, but Rocky IV can be a consideration with a great villain (I will break you; you will lose), then again maybe the Rocky films fit more into the drama section.

Kurt Russell films always seemed to be outside of reality, and I don't just mean ridiculous explosions (not a bad thing, just means they're different). While the rest of the movies I've listed take place in relatively modern day real world (save Running Man), Escape From films are set in dystopian futures, and Big Trouble includes magic. Both great films on their own. My buddies and I quoted Tango and Cash a lot growing up, but it was like calling them a faggot jokingly, similarly to using quotes from Top Gun.

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone mentioned Krull? Not saying it was the best SciFi/Fantasy/Action Movie but I definitely think of it fondly when i think of movies from my childhood.

Krull

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user