Best 80's Action Movie and Why it's probably Die Hard

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
For me it's close but I go Aliens followed by Predator, for a lot of the same reasons you cite. Ripley meeting the Queen, Bishop getting ripped in half, etc. are similarly great "oh shit" moments that completely stand the test of time in my opinion. Movie has a ton of great quotes as well.
Between Aliens or Predator it has to be Aliens. For all the reasons you said but also the amazing world that movie expanded on. Alien was great (not an action movie at all), but Aliens takes that thriller, horror sci-fi world and adds a LOT of guns and explosions while almost perfectly maintaining all the things that made the original so great.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Coolest gif gets the nomination
source.gif

If that’s the case Aliens can win with just Hudson.

A814B040-7842-42F9-93B8-31E73E77EA0A.gif

A4BAA3C6-D6F6-4A61-AB77-80232ABE1402.gif

B3FF16F8-2C36-40D2-89B4-156D6514C636.gif

08F189D8-9EEF-43F6-8A3A-0C2E03323944.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Can we include in this debate the cultural significance that these movies are Tyranids, Zerg, Terran, Space Hulk, Space Marines, etc.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
For me it's close but I go Aliens followed by Predator, for a lot of the same reasons you cite. Ripley meeting the Queen, Bishop getting ripped in half, etc. are similarly great "oh shit" moments that completely stand the test of time in my opinion. Movie has a ton of great quotes as well.

I mainly pick Aliens over Predator because I love the Ripley character and think it's the gold standard for how to portray a good female action hero. Predator is the gold standard of telling everyone to go fuck themselves and producing a unapologetically testosterone fueled action movie.

Good thread, Screamfeeder Screamfeeder .

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Predator soundtrack is also one of the best action movie soundtracks ever made, it's literally the other half of the movie.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Bunch of slack jawed faggots around here. This stuff'll make you a god-damn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me.

• 3Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm going to do a marathon rewatch of the movies mentioned in this thread sans the "adventure" movies mistaken for "action" and going to rank them again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to do a marathon rewatch of the movies mentioned in this thread sans the "adventure" movies mistaken for "action" and going to rank them again.

I await your rankings.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think for music and sound I have to give props to original Terminator. Pure early 80s synth type spooky shit.

I watched predator a few weeks ago. Lazy overhung sat on couch. Definitely aged pretty well considering its been like 30+ yrs.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
amazon has a bunch on streaming. i plan on a movie marathon night at my house, i might splurge on a projector and set it up on my deck outside.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Predator, Aliens, Conan the Barbarian, and Big Trouble in Little China are probably my top picks, with Conan being my favorite. Escape from NY was also excellent, and should be the model for incarceration today.

I don't think any decade will have better action heros than schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, and Kurt Russel.

I still get shivers up my spine whenever the Conan soundtrack plays. So epic.

• 3Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Does Tango & Cash count?

Think so, I mainly make that distinction not to shit on people but to just cut it down to viewable. Indiana Jones and Back to the Future are masterpieces, but they're not 80s action flicks in my opinion. They're adventure movies. Am I on the right track with that distinction?

For a lot of these movies it's been a long time since I've seen them I don't want to categorize them until I watch them again.

• 3Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Think so, I mainly make that distinction not to shit on people but to just cut it down to viewable. Indiana Jones and Back to the Future are masterpieces, but they're not 80s action flicks in my opinion. They're adventure movies. Am I on the right track with that distinction?

They would be classified as action-adventure but the spirit of this thread is for Pure Action so I think you are right on track. We could all be really scrupulous and say stuff like Aliens is Sci-Fi Action and Above The Law is Martial Arts Action etc etc but that sort of leaves us with like 5 movies.

We all know an Action Movie when we see it.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Random action movie personal connections (/mippo):

When I was in high school, we went to Puerto Vallarta on vacation. Near there they filmed a ton of shit for Predator. They had a burned out helicopter shell and everything, so awesome.

A few years ago I got to meet Eric Lee, who was in Big Trouble, as one of the Wing Kong, and also a double for Dennis Dun I think it was. Dude was cool as shit and had some great stories.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users