Best credit card for travel

Cybsled

What about Japan? I've heard that lots of places don't even take credit cards and you need to use cash. I can understand "Mom and Pop" spots, but it seems kind of odd, considering the consumer economy there. Anyone able to confirm/deny?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
If you're new to traveling to Asia you can be surprised by the number of tiny businesses and street shops and that sort of venue are obviously cash based businesses (if the shop doesn't have an actual cash register, take the hint). But for the serious kind of boutiques, restaurants, hotels and the like, credit cards are fine. When I visited Japan I was still using mostly my MasterCard and it was never turned down in places I'd expect them to take a CC.

Still, overall, I'd say Japan is quite more cash based than North America, but it's not that bad either. It's nowhere near like, say Thailand, where you may as well just leave your CC in the hotel safe. There's ATMs everywhere anyway, so after a day you will have a good feel how much you need to carry and you will adjust just fine. It really depend what kind of spender you are and where you hang out, so there's no set rule. Worst case scenario an employee will walk you to the nearest ATM to get cash to pay your bill.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I use a visa signature card. I also carry about 5k in USD with me over to Asia, when ever I am about I carry around $300 in the local currency. like everyone else has said most of asia is just cash bro and barter

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I use a visa signature card. I also carry about 5k in USD with me over to Asia, when ever I am about I carry around $300 in the local currency. like everyone else has said most of asia is just cash bro and barter
47-1-1227287920.jpg

rrr_img_57693.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What about Japan? I've heard that lots of places don't even take credit cards and you need to use cash. I can understand "Mom and Pop" spots, but it seems kind of odd, considering the consumer economy there. Anyone able to confirm/deny?
My experience in Japan was that for most restaurants and bars cash was king. Buying from large retailers and the like Visa was fine. ATMs there are a little goofy too, it was kind of hit and miss on whether or not someone's debit card would work in particular machines, and often the withdrawal limit was very low.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
For ATMs accepting foreign cards, 7/11 are you friends.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The ATM situation definitely improved significantly between my first trip in 2009 and my second trip in 2013. The first time around 7-11 and Japan Post (or whatever it was called) ATM's were the only ones that would work. A lot more worked the second time.

Cybsled

Good info. Thanks for the replies. You get so used to never carrying actual currency that you forget that's not the norm everywhere.